Sponsored by:

Is Racing for me? Need Advice/Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
and FWIW what I think VR was alluding to with the mechanical sympathy for the car can be summed up thusly-

you have to be fast in the car while also leaving enough car to be fast at the end of the race. killing your tires, brakes, stuff in the tranny can all break stuff and lead to lots of DNFs.
Correct. It's easy to do in a DE, when you have plenty of time to fix/replace stuff. But in a race, if the car doesn't last, you're toast.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Addendum: IMO it is perhaps more important to develop the skill of constantly being aware of the condition of the race car & all its relevant parts throughout the session, and then to adapt one's driving accordingly.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the tranistion from DE to racing approx 5 years ago and never looked back. After spending 12 years doing DEs, becoming solo, getting my instructor's license and meeting tons of new people, it was time to consentrate on seeing what I could do in a race car. Besides, at Rennsport Reunion 2 I watched no less than 7 of my students race around one of my dream tracks that I have never been on. That was absolute confirmation that it was time for me to go racing.

VR's questions are right on! If you feel comfortable in a race car, surrounded by other race cars all the time that is a good sign. If you are willing to check your ego at the door and learn new things (and trust me, all racers are constantly learning new things all the time whether they want to admit it or not), this is a really great sign. And finally, if you are willing to accept that there is a REAL possibility that you could "ball your car up" at any given moment, this is when you know you are ready IMHO. I say live the dream. You only live once and this sport is well worth it. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
certainly want to get through the probation and rookie level before any "incidents" would be safe, smart, and cautious always but especially in your first 5-10 races. body damage is always bad but in your first race is really bad!! you also invoke the 13/13 rule and your next "incident" you are out for over a year. not the kind of additional pressure you need during your rookie races. take it easy at first. a rookie crashes me and we are going to have a good talk after the race.
The race director deemed it a racing incident, no fault assessed, no 13's given. Believe me, I learned many lessons that day which I will heed in the future, and I certainly don't take the incident lightly. I have viewed the video probably 100 times so I know what happened and how to avoid that situation again. My case in point was that sometimes **** does happen and the chances go up when racing.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,200 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
The race director deemed it a racing incident, no fault assessed, no 13's given. Believe me, I learned many lessons that day which I will heed in the future, and I certainly don't take the incident lightly. I have viewed the video probably 100 times so I know what happened and how to avoid that situation again. My case in point was that sometimes **** does happen and the chances go up when racing.
that's one of those things that all of us looking to get into racing should write on the chalkboard 100 times a week
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
that's one of those things that all of us looking to get into racing should write on the chalkboard 100 times a week
+1

Last weekend I went wide into a RH turn, slipped out into the marbles and got two wheels off. Hooked back to the track and tapped the car I was running next to. I got a donut on the passenger door and he got a dented driver door. Talked with him after the race and he was cool: "just a dent; that's racing." I felt bad, but he made me feel much better.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,200 Likes on 601 Posts

I think he'd only be mad if you finished in front of him...lol
Old 09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bobby, we can (and will!) talk about this offline, but I thought I'd share some of my comments publicly for all in the spirit of sharing:

My litmus test for "are you ready" is if you are comfortable driving without thinking about driving and, sometimes, without watching where you are going. For example, let's take a track you know well like Watkins Glen. Would you feel comfortable entering the braking zone at Turn 1 and threshold braking while looking out your passenger-side window? If yes, next question. Do you have to consciously think about "braking point, turn in point, apex, track out point" while driving or does all that happen subconsciously? If yes, then you are not ready. If not, you may be ready for racing!

As for car choice, I don't see you going the Miata or 944 route, though the advice is sound. I just know you...

So, although not cheap (though cheaper than your GT3 RS), would you consider joining us in a 964 Cup? I know of at least one for sale and you have many of your friends in PCA GTC1 already. It would be fun to have you join us!

Though my first choice for a race class in PCA would be one of the GTC classes, outside of those classes I'd probably build a Spec Boxster. They look like fun and should be considerably cheaper. So that'd be my other suggestion...
Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I started racing 6 years ago. I felt I was ready to move to racing when I started getting frustrated in DE's. There were a number of car that were slower in the turns and I could see how it easy it would be for me to duck in and pass, but alas that was not allowed in DE in those days. So I figured if I wanted more I would need to race. By this time I was pretty comfortable putting my car anywhere on the track, but still did not know what it would be like to have open passing all over the place.

So after 2 years of DE time and 2.5 years of autocross I ran my first race. I held my own just fine. I diced with a few cars and even made a couple race passes. Having other cars pass me was not a big deal if I looked for them and let them pass me. In end it was a blast. I was a safe racer, but really still not a "racer" as I had no racecraft at all. This was proved when I did a race a month later. I qualifyed on Pole for my class and thought I would do well. Turns out I got passed on the start and spent the entire race bottled up by a more experienced racer. I had 1 pass move and he defended smartly the entire way. I was left with no way to get around him. Looking back no I laugh since that "pole time" was about 3 seconds slower than current pole times for the same cars and my lack of ability to pass was cause I got schoold big time. Over the years I have learned much about race craft and still have more to go. Even so you are NOT going to learn race craft in DE so once you can handle the traffic and basic driving around the track you are ready for racing. You need not be the fastest guy and will probably get schooled by more experience racers all the time, but that just part of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $0.02

There is no better car to learn car control skills in than an open wheeler (pick your flavor). They do exactly what you tell them to do the instant you deliver the instruction, for better or worse. I love driving and racing them, but I clearly have the minority opinion on this board. Open wheels always have the potential for airborne adventure, but the vast majority of club open wheel racers are very respectful of their competitor' s corners. Car to car contact is much less common in open wheel club racing than in option #2 below. If you get a chance to drive a well set up Formula continental, FSCCA, or FM you may be hooked.

No better car to learn race craft in than a spec miata. No power, excellent handling, and huge fields mean relatively slow and safe but very intense racing. You will have someone to fight with the whole race whether you are snail slow or the second coming of Senna. Relatively dirt cheap racing means a whole lot more folks can afford to be your competitors. (The down side is that these same folks can also afford replacement body work when they hit you.) Rental SM's are pretty readily available if you don't want to handle the maintenance, set up, transport etc. If you don't have the time or inclination to travel a lot to race, you'll almost certainly have big fields readily available to race with in your back yard. If you buy a cup car, you'll have to spend a lot more miles with the car on the trailer to get the same level of competition. If you can get over the fact that it has a M on the hood instead of a Porsche crest you can have a great time without much financial risk or regular outlay for care and feeding.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

BobbyC,

Thanks for staring this thread as I am in the same boat ( a year younger) than you are but probably 1 to 2 years behind you. We are up against what I feel is the upper edge of what I feel is a realistic age limit to make the transition. One of the things I have done is purchase a dedicated track car to begin the transition with and it will probably become the car I race if I make that transition, if it lasts that long.

Good luck in your decision. keep us posted.

Last edited by rlm328; 09-03-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: currect pselin
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
There is no better car to learn car control skills in than an open wheeler (pick your flavor).
Agree, but open wheel cars are just NOT very popular in the NE. Last weekend there were three FEs, one FA, two FCs and a handful of FVs. You get the picture, so to your next point....

Originally Posted by prg
No better car to learn race craft in than a spec miata. No power, excellent handling, and huge fields mean relatively slow and safe but very intense racing.
Spec Miata fields are regularly 45+ cars on the 2.0 mile Summit Point circuit. You can be 10 seconds off the pace of the leaders and have people to race. The field doesn't get to a single file for more than three laps. There is contact, but it is NEVER desired and the driver reps and drivers address it promptly.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Bobby, we can (and will!) talk about this offline, but I thought I'd share some of my comments publicly for all in the spirit of sharing:

My litmus test for "are you ready" is if you are comfortable driving without thinking about driving and, sometimes, without watching where you are going. For example, let's take a track you know well like Watkins Glen. Would you feel comfortable entering the braking zone at Turn 1 and threshold braking while looking out your passenger-side window? If yes, next question. Do you have to consciously think about "braking point, turn in point, apex, track out point" while driving or does all that happen subconsciously? If yes, then you are not ready. If not, you may be ready for racing!

As for car choice, I don't see you going the Miata or 944 route, though the advice is sound. I just know you...

So, although not cheap (though cheaper than your GT3 RS), would you consider joining us in a 964 Cup? I know of at least one for sale and you have many of your friends in PCA GTC1 already. It would be fun to have you join us!

Though my first choice for a race class in PCA would be one of the GTC classes, outside of those classes I'd probably build a Spec Boxster. They look like fun and should be considerably cheaper. So that'd be my other suggestion...
I agree with most, if not all, of this. I believe that right now with a 911 platform for racing, there is no better bang for the buck than a 964 Cup Car. Yes, my view might be driven a bit by my "old school" experiences, etc., but in the total analysis, I actually don't think they are all that expensive to race in CR. Of course, it is all relative as usual!

Bobby, I can't tell you if you are "ready to race", but I know there is only one way to find out. Do it!

I must be honest that given that you have been attending DEs for 3-4 seasons, and only have 45 days total (you just moved to Black last month, right), I haven't seen the fire that i usually see for those "driven" to racing. I recall when you told me that you were too busy with golf to make very many DEs a couple of years ago. So, it looks like all of that has changed! Again, Do It...before one day you find that you don't have that option.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Bobby - Go through the Club Racing Licensing process here - http://www.pca.org/clubrace/license.htm . You will need the endorsement of the CI in your region as part of the required form. If you can't get that there are other ways to get your license (NASA for one) but that will tell you what your CI thinks anyway.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Buy a 964 cup and come racing...we need more class fodder

Quick Reply: Is Racing for me? Need Advice/Help...