Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Racing for me? Need Advice/Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah, isn't Ron S. selling his for 3 million or so?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh Christ, here we go again. I can't even take the time to read this string, the answer is so obvious though: YES, you are ready to race. Why? Becuase you want to. Where? No question about it: at a race school. In a rented car. Preferably an open wheeler. You'll see that you're already head and shoulders above 4/5 of the participants. After that you can waste all of your money on your own car, like the rest of us!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

As a soon to be racer, I'm finding this one of the more interesting threads to follow. I really appreciate the comments from all of the folks who have experience in wheel to wheel racing.

I started out doing DE's after I bought my 997, just to have the experience of driving the car on a track where I could see what it and I could do. It didn't take long to be hooked, and after I watched my first PCA club race, I knew that I had to give racing a go. As a result, I spend much of this Texas summer in my un-airconditioned garage working on my soon-to-be race car. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Why race? The prospect of racing offers to me the challenge of not only testing driving skills, but also wit, and mental discipline. It may be the latter more than anything that draws me to racing. I'm eager to learn how to use what skills I have to control the car in challenging situations (off line, side by side, in a pack,...). But I'm also looking towards being able to discipline my self to make the right decisions in a split second with the adrenaline pumping.

As far as dealing with having my hat handed to me, if I can go out and be safe and competent, I'll consider my early races successful. While I love to be competitive with others, a safe, well run race resulting in being a back marker will be a "win" in my mind.

While I hope I don't have to, I'm prepared to deal with a banged up and/or broken car. And I can't wait to go side by side, off line through multiple turns
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should make sure my dad reads this thread as he's always telling me that he's "too old" to go club racing, no matter how many times I try to convince him that he is not.

I say go for it Bobby. Find a good GTC1 car and join your friends in the class! You and DanC could have a good time being fodder for Charlie, Colin, and the rest of the NE C1 contingent.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced for 15 years, then stopped because of time and family commitments and started instructing at DE days to keep the skills sharp. My estimate is that my driving skills are 90% what they were when I raced as you loose that "edge" when not being chased or doing the chasing and really exploring the limits of the car; not appropriate during a DE day. If you have the time go for it...it's a life experience.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As a soon to be racer, I'm finding this one of the more interesting threads to follow. I really appreciate the comments from all of the folks who have experience in wheel to wheel racing.

I started out doing DE's after I bought my 997, just to have the experience of driving the car on a track where I could see what it and I could do. It didn't take long to be hooked, and after I watched my first PCA club race, I knew that I had to give racing a go. As a result, I spend much of this Texas summer in my un-airconditioned garage working on my soon-to-be race car. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Why race? The prospect of racing offers to me the challenge of not only testing driving skills, but also wit, and mental discipline. It may be the latter more than anything that draws me to racing. I'm eager to learn how to use what skills I have to control the car in challenging situations (off line, side by side, in a pack,...). But I'm also looking towards being able to discipline my self to make the right decisions in a split second with the adrenaline pumping.

As far as dealing with having my hat handed to me, if I can go out and be safe and competent, I'll consider my early races successful. While I love to be competitive with others, a safe, well run race resulting in being a back marker will be a "win" in my mind.

While I hope I don't have to, I'm prepared to deal with a banged up and/or broken car. And I can't wait to go side by side, off line through multiple turns
+1
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,200 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
My $0.02

There is no better car to learn car control skills in than an open wheeler (pick your flavor). They do exactly what you tell them to do the instant you deliver the instruction, for better or worse. I love driving and racing them, but I clearly have the minority opinion on this board. Open wheels always have the potential for airborne adventure, but the vast majority of club open wheel racers are very respectful of their competitor' s corners. Car to car contact is much less common in open wheel club racing than in option #2 below. If you get a chance to drive a well set up Formula continental, FSCCA, or FM you may be hooked.

No better car to learn race craft in than a spec miata. No power, excellent handling, and huge fields mean relatively slow and safe but very intense racing. You will have someone to fight with the whole race whether you are snail slow or the second coming of Senna. Relatively dirt cheap racing means a whole lot more folks can afford to be your competitors. (The down side is that these same folks can also afford replacement body work when they hit you.) Rental SM's are pretty readily available if you don't want to handle the maintenance, set up, transport etc. If you don't have the time or inclination to travel a lot to race, you'll almost certainly have big fields readily available to race with in your back yard. If you buy a cup car, you'll have to spend a lot more miles with the car on the trailer to get the same level of competition. If you can get over the fact that it has a M on the hood instead of a Porsche crest you can have a great time without much financial risk or regular outlay for care and feeding.
a kind of sick combination of both of your options would be a spec racer ford...which I know a lot of people have gotten their starts in. they're extremely safe and probably a lot of fun since the fields always seem to be large (at least in the west/southwest/southeast)

but I seem to be on the same page as you and taking all of your advice at once...

the reason I went with the MX5 instead of spec miata is because I felt that the safety of the car is higher, as well as the fact that it gives me practice learning how to tune adjustable shocks (which from what I hear is the biggest leap from GT3 street cars going into cup cars) as well as running on semi-slick tires (kumhos, $880 a set) and having an AIM data system. eventually I'll be running enduros such as the 25 hours at thunderhill.

after driving a skip barber formula around laguna seca and a Formula Mazda around the local track (cresson 3.1) I got the bug to sign up at Infineon with Russell for the school there- great way to push my limits and comfort level as a driver. Plus- once you've driven an open wheel like a Formula Mazda, your street based cars will suddenly feel much slower, more predictable and easy to control...even if it's just a few sessions in one of these it will make a big difference- it has so far with me.

I think mixing up the type of cars you drive (if done correctly) can help you bust through plateaus in skill level and enthusiasm, as well as put more tools in your tool box to take with you when you eventually go W2W.

964 cup looks fun!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
a kind of sick combination of both of your options would be a spec racer ford...which I know a lot of people have gotten their starts in. they're extremely safe and probably a lot of fun since the fields always seem to be large (at least in the west/southwest/southeast)

but I seem to be on the same page as you and taking all of your advice at once...

the reason I went with the MX5 instead of spec miata is because I felt that the safety of the car is higher, as well as the fact that it gives me practice learning how to tune adjustable shocks (which from what I hear is the biggest leap from GT3 street cars going into cup cars) as well as running on semi-slick tires (kumhos, $880 a set) and having an AIM data system. eventually I'll be running enduros such as the 25 hours at thunderhill.

after driving a skip barber formula around laguna seca and a Formula Mazda around the local track (cresson 3.1) I got the bug to sign up at Infineon with Russell for the school there- great way to push my limits and comfort level as a driver. Plus- once you've driven an open wheel like a Formula Mazda, your street based cars will suddenly feel much slower, more predictable and easy to control...even if it's just a few sessions in one of these it will make a big difference- it has so far with me.

I think mixing up the type of cars you drive (if done correctly) can help you bust through plateaus in skill level and enthusiasm, as well as put more tools in your tool box to take with you when you eventually go W2W.

964 cup looks fun!
Did you rent one from Tim McGrath? He's always been very helpful to deal with.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,200 Likes on 601 Posts

yes- Tim was very cool and enthusiastic, and he happens to be a really nice dude.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rex
I should make sure my dad reads this thread as he's always telling me that he's "too old" to go club racing...................
I am SOOOOO happy that you told me THAT!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

BobbyC - Thank you for starting this thread. It really isn't like the others - you've gotten some great answers - and I'm bookmarking this. Every now and then at the DE we give, we do get some folks asking about racing - outside of my letting them know about SCCA, PCA, NASA, HSR, etc. I never had anything of importance to add. I think this thread has changed that - and I'll be giving it out.

Thank you. So many of you have contributed truly interesting questions and ideas for a potential racer to be mulling over.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a great place or what???

Thanks for some great insights and perspectives folks...you guys are the best!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
grehalva
Advanced

I went from DE to racing and it has been AWSOME! I agree with much that has been said here. My first races was in a Panoz. I went to the Panoz race school at Road Atlanta and used their cars. I was still doing DE's in my car but decided to do my first race as a rent a ride to see if I would like door handle to door handle racing. I did and bought a 944 and converted it a PCA class I and then to SP2.
I would advise you to rent a ride first before sink a alot of money.
Good Luck!
Rich
Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Is this a great place or what???

Thanks for some great insights and perspectives folks...you guys are the best!
If you do jump in approval from CI shouldn’t be a problem, If it is we can just print out a RL thread and attach to your application.

In the mean time spend time watching the races this weekend. Watch carefully at the corners to see what skill the drivers show and get caught up in the excitement. The great thing about club racing is the participation is almost as much fun as winning
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When I was in my early twenties I raced extensively, all kinda race cars. Now, with family and practice committments, it's all but impossible. DE's are more than enough for me, been there, done that. Racing is a blast, nothing like it, swore I'd never go on a track again('87), but here I am!
Just remember, racing will take a toll on your family life, no if's, and's or but's about it. Just go in with both eyes wide open. Remember, keep safe, you and you're reflexes are not 20 anymore.
Check out the porsche sport competition 3 day school, get a scca license when you're done, learn in 911s too.
GL
C

Quick Reply: Is Racing for me? Need Advice/Help...