Sponsored by:

Gibbs racing penalty: Magnets??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Gibbs racing penalty: Magnets??

Anybody know how magnets resulted in lower power readings for the Nationwide car?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They put magnets on the backside of the accelerator after the race but before the post race chassis dyno test. Since you can't press the pedal as far the power readings would be lower - but Nascar found the magnets.

Nascar is trying to reduce the power of the Toyotas.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

NASCAR was pissed and handed down SEVERE penalties because the magnets had obviously been used as a spacer to keep the pedal from traveling full distance to distort hp figures. Further NASCAR found that the magnets were attached to a braket specifically for the magnets that obviously had to be engineered for that very purpose.

With that said, while the penalties were severe, until they start kicking people out of the sport or suspend an entire CAR for "x" number of races, checkbook punishment will never be effective.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe they'd heard that magnets would improve mileage...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

They help my arthritis, ED, cholesterol, rash...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

So they were just magnetic throttle stops. Sorry I hadn't figured that out. Thanks AS
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I've thought about it, Gibbs Racing should be made to compete the rest of the series with the magnets permanently mounted. And with no throttle linkage adjustment so they can never go WOT.
One of those if you keep making that face it's going to stay that way punishments.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Maybe they'd heard that magnets would improve mileage...
They need the crystals, too...and the Tornado.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I think the whole competition adjustments for the Toyota motors is complete BS. The motors are all designed to be nearly the same, and within specs handed down by NASCAR and even then all designs have to be approved by NASCAR. Toyota simply did their homework and engineered a better engine than the others. If the others spent as much time working on improving power in their own engines as they did bitching about how much the competition makes maybe this problem wouldn't be present in the first place.

I mean, how horrible would you feel if you spent everything you had building a spec series car, built your motor to the best of your abilities using the best people and the best parts and then half way through the season you were given an inlet restrictor because you spent all of your effort on building your car the best you can and did a better job than anyone else. (within the rules provided to you).

I don't even care for the Gibbs team, Toyota, etc but think it's crap they had power pulled in the first place.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I think it's bizarre that a cover-up that did not lead to any illegal advantage on the race track is dealt with more severly than any of the 6 times Chad Knaus has been caught cheating on the track or Michael Waltrip's fuel additive at Daytona. NASCAR's collective ego is so large that being dissed is dealt with more severely than somebody actually cheating on the track.
Cheers
Randy
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

The NASCAR Soaps continue.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

[QUOTE=AudiOn19s;5726302]I think the whole competition adjustments for the Toyota motors is complete BS. The motors are all designed to be nearly the same, and within specs handed down by NASCAR and even then all designs have to be approved by NASCAR. Toyota simply did their homework and engineered a better engine than the others. If the others spent as much time working on improving power in their own engines as they did bitching about how much the competition makes maybe this problem wouldn't be present in the first place.

I had the same exact conversation with my Dad today haha
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Alot of people seem to be of the mindset that we should be impressed that the motor is turning out insane HP compared to the competition but NASCAR is not GTA but rather a "spec" class where cars must meet the "competitive ratio" if you will of hp and weight. What they should be doing then is giving the teams a range that is an acceptable hp number and then they can cap it at that. It is clear that Toyota is working to wring every hp out of the motor as evidence by test mule Hamlin's motor problems
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

sweet, let's change rules midway through the season to screw over a team that did its homework and punish it when they legitimately want to preserve the fruits of their labor.

instead of having the idiot slackers catch up to the clearly better standard, lets dumb it down for all the other teams so that the good ole boys can participate too.

fuchin' pathetic.

nascar = wwf
Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheating in NASCAR: nothing new.
Mid season rule changes to "even the field": nothing new.

Quick Reply: Gibbs racing penalty: Magnets??