Sponsored by:

Race car drivers are not athletes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Ouch.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Ask Monica Seles (Sp?) if there is a chance at dying while playing tennis?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I'll bet Kibort is wondering how his other foot tastes right about now!
Mark Kibort in action (yes, the same one with the red 928)

I guess after some of his activities, walking around a lawn swinging stick looks a bit mundane.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Uh.........think Tiger wouldn't have been a pretty high level college player (if not pro) in basketball, baseball, soccer, younameit if his dad hadn't pointed him in that golfing direction?
Huh, not to knock Tiger but you actually demean those other high level athletes by inferring that Tiger also possesses their unique abilities but hasn't "tapped into them" because he was too busy golfing.

I don't know why people keep saying this, do we have any indication that he ever competed in ANYTHING other than golf. Can he run fast, jump high, throw a ball, catch a pass, take a hit, field a grounder, sink a 3 pointer , use his feet with a dexterity few of possess in our hands on the soccer field, etc. etc. Oh, and you might as well throw in the NHL, I don't know if he can skate..but what the heck he MUST be great at that too.

There are plenty of golfers over the years who, though not as good as Tiger at golf HAVE resumes that include other sports (Hale Irwin DIV 1 Football All Conference comes to mind). Why all of a sudden is Tiger the "Dave Winfield" of Golf (Winfield as we all know was drafted by NFL, NBA, MLB) John Daly who everyone likes to hold up as the "anti-athlete" actually has a better resume as an all around athlete than Tiger, at least he lettered in football and played HS baseball. How silly would it be to suggest thet Daly could be anything but a golfer, yet a guy who seems to have never played any other sports could be a Pro???

Tiger is great GOLF, I can't stand hearing another announcer say he could be playing 2 Guard, or D-back or Centerfield..really...based on what? His ability to hit golf shots beter than anyone else? If that's true and the skills are so interchangeable, than the reverse should be true as well. You see how well that theory pans out with Barkley and Jordans golf game..huh??? I mean one guys terrible and the other aint's exactly lightin' it up.

GOLF is a unique skill that humbles many otherwise fantastic athletes, it is not a great indicator of overall athletic ability. Some golfers may be great athletes but I can't base it just on their golf and I really can't see suggesting they could be Pro anything without some other evidence. You could watch a WR, run down the field, leap high, make a juggling catch, break a tackle and score and know he's an athlete. You would know how fast he is, how high he can jump, that he has good eye-hand coordination, good hands, is strong, and can take physical punishmnet in about 10 seconds. You could watch a guy golf for a lifetime and still not know if he posessed that same skill set.

Why this need to embelish everything, the guy is the greatest golfer of all time..isn't that enough???

Last edited by F350Lawman; 08-15-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Sunday, does this count?

I nearly had a heart attack when our youngest son, fresh out of Duke, announced he was moving to Vegas to play poker professionally.
I rest my case. It is even dangerous for bystanders.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
GOLF is a unique skill that humbles many otherwise fantastic athletes, it is not a great indicator of overall athletic ability.
Thank you!

Speaking of incredible athletes, we never hear about Greg Lemond. Three world championships and three time winner of the Tour de France. Two of the victories after being shot in the back leaving him with pellets lodged in his heart.

Also, how many pro-athletes from other sports have tried professional driving and failed? Walter Payton comes to mind, he was terrible behind the wheel.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 08-15-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

What?

I stand by my first opinion. Do you even have one? Why dont you read it again.

mk

I'll bet Kibort is wondering how his other foot tastes right about now!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Rememeber my qualifyer? If the bystanders have the same risk as the participant, then it cancels the risk factor to zero.

mk

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I rest my case. It is even dangerous for bystanders.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
What?

I stand by my first opinion. Do you even have one?

mk
How nice for you. Yes, I do & have also shared it. Why don't you read it again.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!

CAGE MATCH!!!

VR versus Mark Kibort

High noon, at the flag pole
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Isn't "motorsports" one of the few sports that actually has "sport" in the name?

And I agree with Joe...spend just 45 minutes in 100 degree heat (cool shirt or not), trying to have perfect hand/eye coordination in a car going 140 ^ mph making split second decisions, etc. etc. If you aren't in shape, you'll wish you were.
Well, there is also "watersports", but I don't think that means what most people assume it means.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

"Would have" , "Could have" , "If only" ? These are famous last words.

There are gas station attendants that have POTENTIAL to be fantastic athletes, but most are not. By definition, an Athlete will bring natural and developed skills to his sport. If i was a coach of different sports, and met a yound tiger woods. Sure, I would bet he could do a lot of the baseball, basketball, and many other of the sports requring certain types of skills that he seems to pocess naturally, well. Certain sports like driving, skiing, motorcycles, hockey, etc, all require different types of natural abilities. Ever meet a guy that no matter how much he trys to play golf, he sucks? That same guy could be world class in other sports and activities. Well, you see a lot of that on the race track!

I love this topic. We used to debate and laugh over this back in College all the time. "Is this activity a sport?" , " Is this guy an athlete"?.............. That's where we finallly started to agree on the, " You have to be able to die participating in the activity for it to be considered a real sport".

I think my mechanic is an athlete. He is racing against the clock, he has to compete against all the other shops for business, He often is doing back breaking physical work that i often do once a year and hope i NEVER have to do it again, he has to have knowledge, training, ability to concentrate, focus and make snap decisions, and have the endurance to keep on doing it day after day. Now, he used to be a soccer player and a pretty good one.
So, is fixing cars a sport? Is my mechanic an athlete?

I guess It all falls in levels of degrees. Is tiger an athlete? yes. Is tiger an al around athlete? no. Could he be?? not the point. If he was going to race a fat 50 year old man (Marty Krulee) that is still an track athtlete in a 100m dash, who would win? So i guess we need to define our terms better. Athlete, all around athlete, endurance sports athlete, pilot athlete, extreme athlete, gentleman sport athlete, etc.

mk

Originally Posted by race911
Uh.........think Tiger wouldn't have been a pretty high level college player (if not pro) in basketball, baseball, soccer, younameit if his dad hadn't pointed him in that golfing direction?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!

CAGE MATCH!!!

VR versus Mark Kibort

High noon, at the flag pole
Can we place bets?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yeah, you said "Horshxxt" , " Tiger is an athlete". I said he was an athlete on the low end of the spectrum based on my qualifiers. Can he do anything else?
If we were going to have him do something that required athleticism, would he be a guy that you would put money on where the level of athleticism would determine the outcome? Can he run, jump , do anything else at a "good High school" performance level today, being the best of the best in Golf?

I know very athletic individuals that can do a lot of things real well. So far in racing, I've seen the more athletic individuals excel at a faster rate than their less athletic counterparts. However, some of the best drivers I've seen are not in the best athletic shape.

The more you look at this, the more you will see that its a lame argument.
By definition, an athlete is someone that competes for a prize using his god given abilities and those he has developed. Its all a matter of degrees.
A sport will have a similar definition. In my book a "real" sport is one that has a certain amount of risk of injury or death. Again, my opinion.

mk

How nice for you. Yes, I do & have also shared it. Why don't you read it again.

Quick Reply: Race car drivers are not athletes