Sponsored by:

Race car drivers are not athletes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Many years ago, before TV went entirely into the sewer, there was an athletic challenge show with athletes competing in a mini Olympics series. The athletes came from all sports from boxing and wrestling, to basketball and skying and weight lifting. All were pros to. Guess who lasted for the most shows of the series? The pro race car driver. Watching the heavy weight boxer trying to swim in the ??meter competition was painfull.
The Superstars thing ABC did in the '70's? Wasn't Kyle Rote (?), the soccer player, the dominant guy for a few of those series?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H2OJazz
Well, howza about synchronized swimming? Even worse, "rhythmic" gymnastics, you know the one with he hula hoop and a stick with a ribbon.

Not sports, not athletes. merely exhibitions.

Driving a car at 200+ for any extended period of time, reflexes, decision-making. Methinks so.
Knock on synchro all you want, but if you ever see what those girls actually do, I'll put the conditioning level, work ethic, etc. up with pretty much any other sport.

My partner's daughter just missed the Olympic team, but will likely make the '12 London games (she's 17). Yeah, she's in shape and has rescued more than one teammate from the bottom and drowing............
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

An athlete is someone that engages in an activity has a chance of dying while participating in the the sport. Some sports do not require you to have any athletic ability, like playing cards.

mk
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
An athlete is someone that engages in an activity has a chance of dying while participating in the the sport. Some sports do not require you to have any athletic ability, like playing cards.

mk
Horse****. Top golfers like Tiger Woods are athletes, yet there is essentially zero risk of death from golf.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

He cant do anything else but play golf. No risk of death, Not an athlete. (my opinion) Look up the derivative of the word, "Athlete", and you will get my point. However, i do think he can have a chance of serous injury or death. walkng in the heat, getting hit by a stray ball (but if the spectators share the same percentage risk, that doesnt count), etc. I would classify golf at the low end of the athletic spectrum and Football, decathlons, skiing, etc, at the other.
You can be a sportsman, and not an athlete. When you depend on your skill fitness, endurance, courage and strategy to beat an opponent, thats an athletic sport.

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Horse****. Top golfers like Tiger Woods are athletes, yet there is essentially zero risk of death from golf.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oh, brother.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mk
Wait a minute. You can get very serious paper cuts from playing cards. You could get an infection and die. There is also a significant risk of dying of boredom. Does that make it qualify?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

He cant do anything else but play golf. No risk of death, Not an athlete. (my opinion) Look up the derivative of the word, "Athlete", and you will get my point. However, i do think he can have a chance of serous injury or death. walkng in the heat, getting hit by a stray ball (but if the spectators share the same percentage risk, that doesnt count), etc. I would classify golf at the low end of the athletic spectrum and Football, decathlons, skiing, etc, at the other.
You can be a sportsman, and not an athlete. When you depend on your skill fitness, endurance, courage and strategy to beat an opponent, thats an athletic sport.

mk
Uh.........think Tiger wouldn't have been a pretty high level college player (if not pro) in basketball, baseball, soccer, younameit if his dad hadn't pointed him in that golfing direction?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Bull ****!

Stand 200 yards down the fairway when I'm in tee box and 100 yards into the trees on the right .

You could very easily die...

INCOMING!!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOLOCOPTER.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Dude, puhleeze.

A John Daly pic would be far more appropriate on many levels. Except possibly the one with the bimbettes...
Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hey, now. Just because you have a "thing" for overweight boys...
Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

No, cause he hits the ball a ton, but not very accurately.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'll bet Kibort is wondering how his other foot tastes right about now!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Wait a minute. You can get very serious paper cuts from playing cards. You could get an infection and die. There is also a significant risk of dying of boredom. Does that make it qualify?
Sunday, does this count?

I nearly had a heart attack when our youngest son, fresh out of Duke, announced he was moving to Vegas to play poker professionally.

Quick Reply: Race car drivers are not athletes