Sponsored by:

Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
John, you make this class sound so inviting! Can't wait till i'm good enough to race one.

Pleasure meeting you today btw! Good luck at Laguna! I'm still trying to decide between the POC event and Indy at SP...
Hey Colby it was nice to meet you yesterday too....

One of the Grand AM DP drivers has a Spec Boxster and after Saturday's race at Sears he's driving down to Laguna for the race on Sunday. It's going to be a killer event with something like 125 cars in the 3 race groups, and another 75 or so in the DE groups. I'm running both cars there and probably should be institutionalized for even thinking I could do it....
Old 08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Damn that looks like fun!!

Sorry, no intent to highjack Dell, but what does an F1000 cost and what does a season run?
A brand new top of the line car can be had for $60k. A slightly used but podium-ready car can be had for $45k. I paid $30k for mine which has an older motor (03 GSXR @ 150hp vs 08 GSXR at 175hp) but other then that, it has been updated with newer wings, etc.

Tires are Hoosier slicks at $190 a front, $205 a rear. Soft compound = 2 weekends per set maximum, 1 weekend optimum. Medium compound = 4 weekends maximum, 2 weekends optimum.

The motor and transmission are entirely stock bike units - no modifications outside of bolt-ons allowed. For this reason, there are no motor rebuilds and no transmission rebuilds as a used motor/transmission can be had for $1500 any day of the week. Other consumables - most guys change oil once a race, pads every 6 races, rotors every 18 races. Chains are changed once a year as a matter of precaution. There are very little other to do besides consistent "checking" that everything is tight and snug.

The other great thing is the resale is great in this class. New cars that were $60k are trading regularly in the high 40s and low 50s.

This is a car for sale for $37,000 - a true podium capable 07 Phoenix:
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Craig are you now a R6 car?

So now I have to defend my Spec Boxster brethren against your erroneous claim that you beat 90% of us. We'll see who gets bragging rights at Laguna in 2 weeks, but in our last race at Willow, 4 Spec Boxsters (out of 6) finished ahead of you....
LOL...I was only R7 then, but I was refering to the BSR's in the racers clinic. The tribute weekend was my first real race....And, If you look at my best Orange race lap time of 1:35.586, I had a faster best lap time than you at 1:36.054 and the winning BSR of 1:35.874. I learned a lesson though...Never sandbad a qualifying time. I ran 8/10 for the Aussie sprint qualifying to get a better position in the "fun race", then they used the Aussie qualifying time for the Orange cup race That'll teach me. I started second to last!

I was still a 190 hp 3.0 at that time with 10 year old suspension. At LS I'll be 220 hp, with Steve Alarcon's magic suspension You could say my claim was a prognostication.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Craig T.
LOL...I was only R7 then, but I was refering to the BSR's in the racers clinic. The tribute weekend was my first real race....And, If you look at my best Orange race lap time of 1:35.586, I had a faster best lap time than you at 1:36.054 and the winning BSR of 1:35.874. I learned a lesson though...Never sandbad a qualifying time. I ran 8/10 for the Aussie sprint qualifying to get a better position in the "fun race", then they used the Aussie qualifying time for the Orange cup race That'll teach me. I started second to last!

I was still a 190 hp 3.0 at that time with 10 year old suspension. At LS I'll be 220 hp, with Steve Alarcon's magic suspension You could say my claim was a prognostication.

Yea it's going to be a blast. I imagine your 30HP will put you out front if you were that fast before. Have you run at Laguna before? If not find me and we can talk lines, etc.

I'm surprised you're not a V3/R5 car with the 3.2 motor. You must be maxed out on points. If you want some seat time before Laguna, Speedventures is running a small, private track day at Willow this coming Friday the 15th. 2 groups only, but expensive at $350. for the day....

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=202

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 08-09-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Craig T.
Racer

We'll see who gets bragging rights at Laguna in 2 weeks..
OK, friendly wager?

I've never raced Laguna, but if I don't finish at least 3rd in BSR behind you and Blake, I will buy you a bottle of "nice"wine and deliver it to you in the pits on Sunday. If I beat you (admitted not likely), or there is a BSR between you and me other than Blake, you do the same. Are we on?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Yea it's going to be a blast. I imagine you're 30HP will put you out front if you were that fast before. Have you run at Laguna before? If not find me and we can talk lines, etc.

I'm surprised you're not a V3/R5 car the 3.2 motor. You must be maxed out on points. If you want some seat time before Laguna, Speedventures is running a small, private track day at Willow this coming Friday the 15th. 2 groups only, but expensive at $350. for the day....

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=202
I would really appreciate your giving me some pointers on LS. Thank you. I'll take you up on that.

That was nice of you to say, but I doubt the 30hp will put me in front of you and Blake. I just don't have you guy's racing experience. My goal at LS is to just stay with you guys and win my class.

I'm right at the max 13 points for JP. I could go to V3 with the tail and rear coil-overs, but those guys scare the $#!T out of me.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default No easy answer

Were I (or Dell) in TX or CA, SPBOX/BSR may offer everything we want--spec racing, not too much money, reasonable fields and a goodly number of races each year. I'm in the mid-Atlantic and Dell is near VIR, however, and we don't have decent sized fields in SPBOX, at least not yet. At the Glen a couple of weeks ago there were two other guys in our PCA region thinking of SPBOX next year, but realistically the fields will not be there in 2009 and probably not in 2010.

What do do in the meantime? The Spec Racer Ford and Spec Miata suggestions are good ones (easily 20-40 cars in a field), but they are not real fast and they are not Porsches.

Maybe pioneer the SPBOX class in PCA racing and DE, and also race Spec Miata.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
996Spec?
Nice avatar!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Were I (or Dell) in TX or CA, SPBOX/BSR may offer everything we want--spec racing, not too much money, reasonable fields and a goodly number of races each year. I'm in the mid-Atlantic and Dell is near VIR, however, and we don't have decent sized fields in SPBOX, at least not yet. At the Glen a couple of weeks ago there were two other guys in our PCA region thinking of SPBOX next year, but realistically the fields will not be there in 2009 and probably not in 2010.

What do do in the meantime? The Spec Racer Ford and Spec Miata suggestions are good ones (easily 20-40 cars in a field), but they are not real fast and they are not Porsches.

Maybe pioneer the SPBOX class in PCA racing and DE, and also race Spec Miata.
Chris where are those 3-4 Boxsters that Rick Demann built running?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

OK, friendly wager?

I've never raced Laguna, but if I don't finish at least 3rd in BSR behind you and Blake, I will buy you a bottle of "nice"wine and deliver it to you in the pits on Sunday. If I beat you (admitted not likely), or there is a BSR between you and me other than Blake, you do the same. Are we on?
Craig it scares me to wager on racing. It's enough of a gamble already and I don't want to jinx myself. That being said, I'll be making my fresh watermelon Patron margaritas Sat eve in my garage before the festivities if you care to stop by.....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I would really appreciate your giving me some pointers on LS. Thank you. I'll take you up on that.

That was nice of you to say, but I doubt the 30hp will put me in front of you and Blake. I just don't have you guy's racing experience. My goal at LS is to just stay with you guys and win my class.

I'm right at the max 13 points for JP. I could go to V3 with the tail and rear coil-overs, but those guys scare the $#!T out of me.
\\ I agree take your time and get used to the car then decide if you want to compete with the boys in V3/R5.

You know about the track walk Thursday evening I hope. I believ it's around 6PM and you get to walk the entire course with Melnik and some other experienced drivers explaining the turns. I always ride my bike or walk around tracks before I drive them to get a real look at the layout and pitch. Find me...
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Didn't see any SPBOX at the Glen. Maybe at VIR this weekend? Maybe at Lightning or Summit Point later this year. I'm keeping watch, but I'm not seeing any.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Colby it was nice to meet you yesterday too....

One of the Grand AM DP drivers has a Spec Boxster and after Saturday's race at Sears he's driving down to Laguna for the race on Sunday. It's going to be a killer event with something like 125 cars in the 3 race groups, and another 75 or so in the DE groups. I'm running both cars there and probably should be institutionalized for even thinking I could do it....
LOL! You are crazy but the best of luck!

How are you going to get both the Cup and Spec up to Laguna?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Didn't see any SPBOX at the Glen. Maybe at VIR this weekend? Maybe at Lightning or Summit Point later this year. I'm keeping watch, but I'm not seeing any.
unless I'm mistaken they ran at LRP and the Glen
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Craig it scares me to wager on racing. It's enough of a gamble already and I don't want to jinx myself. That being said, I'll be making my fresh watermelon Patron margaritas Sat eve in my garage before the festivities if you care to stop by.....
You are a gentleman and a scholar Mr. Gordon. I'll be by for one of those watermelon margaritas.

...I agree a wager brings up an unsafe level of red mist. It was meant as fodder for the thread more than anything else. There used to be a healthy level of competition between the stubborn 911 guys and the new BSR guys, but as more 911 guys jump to the BSR, and the BSR times get faster and faster, it's less contentious everyday. When JP and MI gets below four of five guys at each race, I'll probably jump too.

Quick Reply: Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car