Sponsored by:

Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car

Title says it all. I am currently in the process of selling my GT3 which just absolutely makes me sick to my stomach but I am hoping that my rationale for doing it (going racing) will be the tummy ache cure.

Anyway, those of you that have come from a high HP (turbos, GT3, Cups, etc) car that you were very competent in, to a spec Boxster, can you please give your feedback on the change.

I am on the fence with what to go to as soon as my GT3 sells. I want to keep it but I know I would never drive it again as all my track time would be getting better in the race car. I have thought about H (99-01 996C2) as it seems to be a pretty competitive class and a chassis and rear-engine layout I am very proficient with. The Boxster (from what I have hear) is that it is not nearly competitive as the others cars in E (PCA racing). If there were a genuine class in PCA that would be different.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, comments, etc.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Dell, you won't regret the decision once you start racing. It's been said before, but one of the most important things is to choose the right class in PCA - then choose the car. It's about the competition. It's the difference between having fun and a truly awesome experience. H is an up and coming class and one that should be growing over the next couple of years. You've got a couple of experienced guys in there now with seemingly a bunch of guys building cars and the emergence of the Cayman S as a possible class killer (look what Joel F has been doing). Pick the class, then the car. Find the best racing. Right now that's probably C1, C3, D and E in the 911 platform (H in the near future). Once you decide on the class then pick the class killer car. Believe me, once you start racing you're going to want the best chance to win.

EDIT: Another important aspect is having fun with your buddies. I really like the fact that I get to race with my friends in D.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't give you any feedback yet but I sold my GT4 prepared 911 to build a Spec Boxster. So far so good. The parts to build the car are reasonable and I don't foresee the rules changing so much that a car I build now will be obsolete in a year. I'll try to give you some more feedback after my first race weekend. Good luck to you.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean, I like your logic. I bought the RSA and then decided G is not the direction I want to race either. not including the crash at Watkins, what is the all in cost for a competitive D car?

Stuttgart46, what are you expecting the all in cost for a competitive SpecBoxster?

I've gotta go racing, and trying to figure out the direction on my build/buy budget.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Tucker, the problem with the specBoxster as I see it is that if you build it as the "spec" that it is, it will NOT be competitive in PCA since there is so much more you can do for "stock" class. If this becomes a separate class in PCA then it seems very promising. The build sheets are very reasonable for the BSR class and looks like you can do it for 10-15K plus the cost of the donor car. That is VERY appealing!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Sean, I like your logic. I bought the RSA and then decided G is not the direction I want to race either. not including the crash at Watkins, what is the all in cost for a competitive D car?

Stuttgart46, what are you expecting the all in cost for a competitive SpecBoxster?

I've gotta go racing, and trying to figure out the direction on my build/buy budget.

Thanks.
To buy a front running totally done car for D or E is $35-$42K. In fact, I know of a top of the podium D car coming up for sale (no, not mine). There's a C1 car for sale in the classifieds for $85,000. That's some of the best racing around.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

What's a C1 car?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Sorry...GTC1 - 964 Euro cups like Colin (38D) and Charlie (DrJupeman) have
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Sean, I figured as much but thought I would ask for clarification. The GTC1 class looks like it would be fantastic to run! Just not the cost outlay I am looking for at this time
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Dell, can I ask a question? if you sold your GT3 to enter racing for the first time, why not enter a less expensive series such as SM or SRF?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

no kidding Dell. this is an expensive hobby.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

or keep you GT3 and return it to street duty and buy a $10,000 miata to race with
Old 08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As almost everyone points out the completion and who you get to run with is the key to having fun. The one thing i find different about "H" over most other classes is the cars are mixed. You can find 964,993,996,987 all in that class. Each one has an advantage in its own area. This mix makes an exciting race and gives you and chance to find a car you like

Btw, don’t bother buying a Cayman it is a non competitive car you would hate it :
Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1957 356
or keep you GT3 and return it to street duty and buy a $10,000 miata to race with
Return it to street duty? It has gone WAY past the point of return.

Originally Posted by 1957 356
no kidding Dell. this is an expensive hobby.
Tell me about it. I starting counting up receipts, etc, and just about had heart failure!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dell, can I ask a question? if you sold your GT3 to enter racing for the first time, why not enter a less expensive series such as SM or SRF?
It's not so much the money. It's more of finding a competitive class that has fields larger than 3 or 4. I guess the other problem is that I really want to stay in a P-car.

Originally Posted by NJcroc
As almost everyone points out the completion and who you get to run with is the key to having fun. The one thing i find different about "H" over most other classes is the cars are mixed. You can find 964,993,996,987 all in that class. Each one has an advantage in its own area. This mix makes an exciting race and gives you and chance to find a car you like

Btw, don’t bother buying a Cayman it is a non competitive car you would hate it :
That seems to be the most appealing thing about H and at the same time hard to judge car against car. This is why I really like the "spec" classes like BSR. Heck, GTC isn't even a truly spec class that is fair. For example, if I decided to go the route of a Cup I would run GTC3 but that lumps all the 996 cups together which is NOT spec in that only the car is spec based on what the factory delivered but not against all years of the car.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from time trials in a 450hp twin turbo (PSS9, Seats, harnesses, etc) to racing a track prepped 190 hp 78 911 SC. I’m having a blast! I’ve never looked back. In its current configuration, I’m only a couple seconds slower in the SC on HP tracks, and faster on technical tracks. Besides, it’s the wheel-to-wheel competition that matters. It’s a whole different game.

I paid $20,000 for the SC fully prepped with cage, seats, suspension, etc. I’ve since jumped a class by dropping in a competitive 3.2, gears, and upgraded the suspension, but still don’t think I’m over the cost of a competitive BSR….And I beat 90% of them!

I don’t think hp is what matters. Just make sure you pick a class that has a lot of other cars. I started in a class with only two or three other cars, but the 3.2 put me in a class with a several great racers, 14 at Laguna Seca next weekend.

Quick Reply: Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car