Sponsored by:

Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell, I sold my GT3 to get the RSA for racing. It was a fairly lateral move in that at some tracks I am very close to what I ran in the GT3, but at horsepower tracks I am a few seconds off of that pace. So from a performance standpoint, I am pretty close, and if I wanted to close that gap, all it would take is a set of slicks.

As far as racing in H, it is one of the most competitive classes around and the variety of cars makes it a lot of fun. At Atlanta this year the first 5 qualifiers were .088 seconds apart! My RSA is probably the slowest car down the straight, but being the lightest makes up time under braking and cornering. It is also prepared to the max, so I don't know how much speed is really left in it, at least car-wise.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with most Porsche classes that have the same car is that it can be budget stretching as items like rebuilds and tires make much more of a difference. a mixed class allows you to use that cars advantage in certain areas of the track, as well as try to defend an area you have a disadvantage in
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig T.
I don’t think hp is what matters. Just make sure you pick a class that has a lot of other cars. I started in a class with only two or three other cars, but the 3.2 put me in a class with a several great racers, 14 at Laguna Seca next weekend.
Great input! That is exactly what matter to me. I don't care nearly as much about HP as I do about the competition in a class that actually has entrants

Sure the HP is a great thing and if you really know how to command it, then even better, but my point of this thread was to see what it feels like and do you miss it. Apparently, wheel-to-wheel makes up for it big time!

As I have said, I am going to take my time and find the right class for me. BSR is just one of many possibilities.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Dell, I sold my GT3 to get the RSA for racing. It was a fairly lateral move in that at some tracks I am very close to what I ran in the GT3, but at horsepower tracks I am a few seconds off of that pace. So from a performance standpoint, I am pretty close, and if I wanted to close that gap, all it would take is a set of slicks.

As far as racing in H, it is one of the most competitive classes around and the variety of cars makes it a lot of fun. At Atlanta this year the first 5 qualifiers were .088 seconds apart! My RSA is probably the slowest car down the straight, but being the lightest makes up time under braking and cornering. It is also prepared to the max, so I don't know how much speed is really left in it, at least car-wise.
Thanks Larry! Great input. I am always leaning in the direction of H since I feel a 99-01 996 would be a great replacement for the 3 in terms of similar handling dynamics when setup properly.

Having never driven a Boxster, I would have to see if that platform even appeals to me. I am a rear-engine layout guy through and through so it's going to be a big factor when I finally decide.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:51 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Spec Boxster is already an approved class in PCA - SPBOX. You don't need to make comparisons between classes.

My build cost should finish a little under $30K and I farmed out a lot of the work. $25K- $35 is the range depending on cost of donor and how much work you do yourself.

My other race car is a NASA GTS-3 911 with 246 rwhp. My SPBOX dyno'ed at 181 and the cars are nearly identical in weight. I have not had a lot of seat time in the Boxster yet but I have found the car very fun to drive and almost as much fun as my 911. (My 911 is my first love so it will never be equalled )

One thing I like about the SPBOX is that I have already learned things in it that have translated over to the 911 and made me a better driver in that. The constant fear of losing momentum makes you relook at how you drive certain corners. Its also a very easy car to drive with ABS and power steering. Its a nice change for the days when I don't want to work so hard behind the wheel and I bet it will make enduros feel like a cake walk relative to muscling a wide-body 911 with a manual rack. If I could change one thing with regards to how it drives it would be the tires, as Toyos leave a lot to be desired versus a real race tire like a Hoosier. That said, I spend enough money on Hoosiers with the 911 so I am glad to have that cost controlled for me. For a Spec series, its a good choice.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Why didn't I see it on the list of classes? Or is it an approved class to start in 09?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good thread here, thanks for good intel
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Why didn't I see it on the list of classes? Or is it an approved class to start in 09?
It was added back in Apr '08, after the '08 rules were issue/printed. Bruce Boeder posted it here on RL.

http://https://rennlist.com/forums/s...d.php?t=426177
Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't come from a high horsepower car, but a couple notes on SPBOX:

- right now there are not too many cars, but there are a ton of people building them. Likely a good amount for '09, not sure where you live tho.

- My donor car was 12k + 14k build, I did everything except the cage + flywheel.

- Spec racing is great. There is some setup wiggle room in SPBOX, but not much. It's close racing. Just make sure you have a car count where you live so you can play with your buddies (or make new ones).

- I get 30 H/C's off the R888's. So you can budget tire expenditures from there. For me, about 4 sets/year.

- BSR is POC's nomenclature, for PCA it's SPBOX. SPBOX rules are the exact same as BSR as far as I can tell. Who knows how long that will last, but it's likely your safe building to BSR because thats what everyone else has done.

- We have lots of expertise on the build process, some reading here and here.

Glad to see your getting out and racing Dell, it's sooo much more fun than just DE/TT, and with SPBOX, it's probably less expensive to run than your GT3 in DE/TT.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:00 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I retired my 964 cup and have raced in the NASA 944 Cup series the past two seasons...It is a blast! Very competitive and rewarding at the same time. I'll keep using the 964 for DE though, you do need a blast of HP and torque every now and then!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996Spec?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get your feet wet, why not rent a SM or SRF at an upcoming SCCA VIR weekend. There is a double regional, double enduro event in late October. It is a huge bang for the buck as you will get over 4 hours of race time in addition to practice and qualifying. Highly recommended regardless of whether you are going to stick with a P-car or not.

______
Jason
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
996Spec?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dell-
I too have been looking at the BSR series since inception on the West Coast
In the interest of full disclosure I have a Boxster S street car and have done several DE's in it.

Having tracked 911's, 944's & Boxsters I believe that the Boxsters have the best handling of the bunch (out of the box). If I had to had to guess I would say that BSR car at VIR would be in the neighborhood of 2:20-2:25 in lap times. At Roebling 2 years ago I had one pass me in my S2. It would be great to get a group of guys in the Mid Atlantic develop these cars and race them...
Random thoughts while drinking heavily
Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Echoing what others have said, one thing that made the decision for me to sell the BMW was what the competition looked like locally. <Insert Shameless Plug> Have you considered open wheel? Since you have a trailer, tow rig the hard parts of the formula car are already dealt with. They are considerably faster while being less expensive to run and easier to work on. There is an exciting new class, Formula 1000, that runs ultra-cheap bike motors with 6spd sequential gearboxes that happens to also be amongst the fastest formula classes in club racing.

My new car, an 03 Speads RM02A powered by a GSXR1000 (the yellow car in the front).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Feedback from those that have gone to Spec Boxster from high HP car