Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do's and Don'ts on 90min enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008 | 12:21 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do's and Don'ts on 90min enduro?

I just finished NASA comp school and two races at VIR last weekend. After doing DE for about two and a half years, I have to say I am loving this more than ever. And yes, the slippery slope is getting steeper by the minute. BTW, kudos to NASA for running such a great program to prepare the rookies!

So as I am getting ready for the VIR club race next weekend, I am hoping some of you can chime in and give me some pointers on the do’s and don’ts on the 90-min enduro.

Two races that I've done were about 20mins each max. At this point, a 90min race seems like an eternity to me. I am sure hydration during the race is important. Is brake fade an issue? Anything else?
Old 08-03-2008 | 01:17 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIN
I just finished NASA comp school and two races at VIR last weekend. After doing DE for about two and a half years, I have to say I am loving this more than ever. And yes, the slippery slope is getting steeper by the minute. BTW, kudos to NASA for running such a great program to prepare the rookies!

So as I am getting ready for the VIR club race next weekend, I am hoping some of you can chime in and give me some pointers on the do’s and don’ts on the 90-min enduro.

Two races that I've done were about 20mins each max. At this point, a 90min race seems like an eternity to me. I am sure hydration during the race is important. Is brake fade an issue? Anything else?
Maybe but bladder control is paramount....

Stay focused in present time. Hit your braking points and turn-in points every bleeping time. Be constantly aware of those around you and how they're driving. You're a rookie, don't take chances. Drive a great race, leave lots of room, and learn, learn, learn....
Old 08-03-2008 | 01:34 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 92 Posts

Make sure you pee just before you get gridded up!!! SERIOUSLY.

And what he said ^
Old 08-03-2008 | 07:42 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do what you can to remain focused and fresh: drink plenty of water before the race and during. Stay cool, cool suit if you can. Otherwise keep your head on and remember it is a 90 minute race, not a 1 minute race.
Old 08-03-2008 | 08:42 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing too special except some of the bladder advice already given.

Look at it as a 90 minute sprint race and enjoy the time in the car. I love the enduros because you can really work on improving your driving/times. I don't know if you have data in the car but enduros are great for working on a couple of your slower segments.
Old 08-03-2008 | 09:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

If you're doing the whole enduro by yourself, when you come in to pit, don't take your helmet off.
Old 08-03-2008 | 10:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Do what you can to remain focused and fresh: drink plenty of water before the race and during. Stay cool, cool suit if you can. Otherwise keep your head on and remember it is a 90 minute race, not a 1 minute race.
Seems more like 90 1 minute races to me....

Do you have someone in the pits to get water to you during the pit-in period? Have a drink bottle in the car? Will you need fuel (doubtful)?
Old 08-03-2008 | 10:20 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Seems more like 90 1 minute races to me....
I think all races should be approached with some patience. The longer the race, often the more patience you will need. A 90 minute enduro is generally not won/lost in the first few turns, which is what I meant. Otherwise, I have no problem with folks driving sprint race speed for all 90 minutes because, in reality, 90 minutes is a sprint for many groups.
Old 08-03-2008 | 10:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I think all races should be approached with some patience. The longer the race, often the more patience you will need. A 90 minute enduro is generally not won/lost in the first few turns, which is what I meant. Otherwise, I have no problem with folks driving sprint race speed for all 90 minutes because, in reality, 90 minutes is a sprint for many groups.
Well, it isn't won in the first few turns but it sure can be LOST in the first few....
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:07 AM
MLIN
Instructor

lol, I think my bladder control is good, but i guess 5min mandatory break is not long enough for a mad dash to the bathroom?

I have cool shirt, but no data logger yet.

Yes, I am dong the whole enduro, and I will have at least one person who can help me in the pits. Does that person have to wear a suit and a helmet?

Does it take more than a full tank to do a enduro? And is there really a penalty for spilling gas while refueling? btw, I don't have fuel cell. Just a regular 964 gas tank.
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 893 Posts

All good advice.

Also, wear Depends under your nomex underwear. Make sure, if you do take your helmet off during your stop, that you put on a FRESH headsock (never do an enduro without a headsock). Have 2 fluid bottles in the car in case one spills or gets emptied. 2/3 water, 1/3 Glycomax or Gatorade. Have someone in your pit area to refill your cool shirt ice chest.
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:27 AM
MLIN
Instructor

VR, I sweat like nobody's business, so I never drive without a headsock. I am planning on using a camelpack with mixture of water and Gatorade.

12-quart cool shirt is not enough for the entire enduro?
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:29 AM
MLIN
Instructor

One thing that came to me as a surprise when I took the NASA comp school is that all the instructors (there were 5 of them and all of them were experienced racers) agreed that they only do threshold braking 70-80% of the time coming into corners to preserve the brakes.

Now, we weren't talking about corners like T3, south bend or hogpen at VIR. We were talking about T1 and at the end of the back straight. This was even more of a surprise since we were only doing 20min races. Does this sound right?

I've already thought that in races, corners like T1 and at the end of the back straight at VIR should be approached with threshold braking every time. Even when there is no one on your bumper.
Old 08-03-2008 | 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIN
VR, I sweat like nobody's business, so I never drive without a headsock. I am planning on using a camelpack with mixture of water and Gatorade.

12-quart cool shirt is not enough for the entire enduro?
If you have a camelbak, make certain you also have a regular drink bottle in the car. Seriously.

Also, NEVER assume your cool shirt icebox will last long enough.
Old 08-03-2008 | 12:02 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice would be to monitor your mental state. After 1 hour (especailly in the heat) , I find I can get very complaisant and I need to step up my mental game to stay ahead of the car.

Quick Reply: Do's and Don'ts on 90min enduro?