Sponsored by:

Do's and Don'ts on 90min enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

do not get close to the pit lane speed limit during your stop. My first enduro I was black flagged for speeding. According to my speedometer (26 years old) I wasn't close but I got tagged. Now I go way below the limit just to be safe.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Make sure you have someone on stopwatch duty.

Also, if you see an incident on track that might warrant a double yellow, get in the pits before it closes! (Golden Pit Stop)
Old 08-03-2008, 12:47 PM
silver44
Instructor

be ready for mental fatigue...its easy to get compacent and loose that sharpness during a longer race...even more so in the heat...be ready for that...also remain predictable...you will be fine
Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a stopwatch in the car to time your 5 minute pit stop. Make sure you understand exactly where to start it upon entering the pits.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quit racing almost 3 years ago now, I am planning a return soon. The one thing I have been doing the past couple of months is endurance & heat training. I will do a 10 mile mountain bike ride with hill climbs late in the afternoon. It has been about 92-94 F, while that is nowhere near as hot as it gets in the car it is still good preperation. I would also never assume that your coolshirt is going to work, if it does great, if it does not will you be able to drive? I am looking at doing 1.5 hour stints so I want to be able to ride for 2 hours so I can drive 95% for 90 minutes without brain fade.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Joe L
Instructor

As many have mentioned - be aware of the effects that heat/fatigue will have on you both mentally and physically (concentration, reaction time, etc...).

Yes your brakes will fade a bit, and yes your tires will go away or get greasy (compared to sprint races). As an added bonus, all of this will happen toward the latter end of the race when you are most fatigued - so concentrate and be aware that you will need to adjust braking points, turn in points, etc... Also, straights not just great sections to check instruments, but also good places to keep tabs on traffic all around you so that you are not surprised by faster cars catching you at the corners (where you are now concentrating b/c your braking points have changed, etc...)

Finally, have fun and learn! You will pick up tricks to improve your time as you do more (like the stopwatch in the pits to limit your stop to just 5 mintues and others that have been mentioned), but just go out, be safe and have fun.

Oh yeah - I have a 993, and I need 1 can of gas (5 gallons) at the pit-stop to finish the race. Also, not sure if your 'pit crew' needs a fire suit, but they do need to have a full face helmet with the visor down if you are refueling, and one of you needs to have a fire extinguisher handy...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
MLIN
Instructor

Thanks for the input! Some great advices.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Micheal,
You'll likely need some gas during your stop. No fuel cell needed, just a dump can. I think the scruts will let you get by w/ a couple dribbles on the ground, but don't let it puddle. I lay a towel on the ground to catch the dribbles.
Check your car's weight before/after a couple sessions (time the sessions) to calculated if you'll need any gas (at VIR you likely will). Yes, your crew member will have to wear a suit, helmet and gloves (leather gloves will work). You'll also need a large fire extinguisher (track may have these, but don't assume). I have an extra suit, helmet, and fire extinguisher if you want to borrow them.

Rest of the advice is spot on. Definitely stay hydrated if you sweat that much.
If used sparingly, your 12 qt cool suit should last.
VIR doesn't seem to be too hard on brakes so not sure if this will become a concern. You should know in a 20 minute practice session if you'll experience brake fade.

I like to have 2 stopwatches in the car. One for timing the race, the other for timing the pit stop. Plan your pit stop w/ your crew member so you don't end up like the 3 Stooges episode that my Dad and I created at Mid-O a few years ago. the 5 minute stop turned into 6 and I lost the race by 50 seconds.

If I'm feeling good, I like to pit late (e.g. after ~75 minutes). If you're not feeling well or experience brain fade, back off significantly or do a 2nd stop. They don't give out iron-man trophies but they do give out 13s if you screw up...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
do not get close to the pit lane speed limit during your stop. My first enduro I was black flagged for speeding. According to my speedometer (26 years old) I wasn't close but I got tagged. Now I go way below the limit just to be safe.
That is a good point. The mandatory 5 min pit stop offers more than enough time to refuel the car and drink some water. No need to even get close to pitlane speed limit.

Also, get a stop watch and do not short pit by even 1 second. Good luck

Last edited by FredC; 08-04-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Just to be clear, this and everything else you need to know is in the PCA Racing Rulebook..

"6. For enduros allowing refueling, fuel may be added to the car only by a driver or pit crewmember while wearing a fire retardant suit, gloves and a full-face helmet with visor down or balaclava with goggles. Long hair must be covered by a balaclava. During refueling, the car motor must be off, the driver out of the car, and no other work may be performed on the vehicle during refueling. Fuel jugs must remain capped and on the cold side of the pit wall, and the gas tank must remain capped until the car is off and the driver is out of the car.
One person acting as fireman must be present in the pit, with full fire safety gear, equipped with a minimum 10 lb., 60BC or 60ABC fire extinguisher with the pin removed during refueling. Drivers will be responsible for providing the fire extinguisher. Only plastic containers may be used in refueling and no refueling towers will be used. Any deviation from this standard of refueling will result in the immediate disqualification of the car involved.
Length -- # of Pit Stops -- Refueling -- Driver Change
60 Minutes 1 Not Allowed Allowed
90 Minutes 1 Allowed Allowed
120 Minutes and longer see note* Allowed Mandatory
Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Start hydrating days before the enduro.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by constaf
The mandatory 5 min pit stop offers more than enough time to refuel the car and drink some water.
This totally depends on how much gas you need to add. In my Turbo 3.6 I could never finish my pit stop in 5 minutes because I had to add >2 jugs of fuel.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerome951
I have an extra suit, helmet, and fire extinguisher if you want to borrow them.
Jerome, thanks for the offer! Fortunately, my friend has a shiny sperm white suit that he is dying to use, so I am good there
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
This totally depends on how much gas you need to add. In my Turbo 3.6 I could never finish my pit stop in 5 minutes because I had to add >2 jugs of fuel.
i guess 5min pit stop is not that long after all. Like Mark, said I think I will just keep my helmet on.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read all the enduro rules and play situations out in you head. You will get nervous when you pit, so think ahead:
Before you go out, make SURE you know where your pit is. When you come into the pits have your crew to hold out their hand, just to make sure you see it. Don't miss it. Remember, no reverse gear in the pits. Also, are you having to share pits with someone else? if so, find them and communicate so both of you aren't coming to pit at the same time.
When you pit, ask yourself:
Is the pit open? What's my speed? Have I started my stopwatch? Have I pitted inside the white lines of the pit box? Do I need gas?Make sure your crew is ready=read and reread the rules)? Have I drank plenty or water?
Now, take a deep breath and strap back in. Have your crew tell you when 4 minutes has arrived, so you can be aware. A couple of more gulps of water. Start out of the pits being aware of cars in front or behind that may not see you. Go out on the track inside the blend line.
General, watch for the blue flags and stay aware of how you feel. it will be HOT this weekend and red mist WILL happen Don't let it happen to you.

Quick Reply: Do's and Don'ts on 90min enduro?