Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think some of these boys are on a
Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I don't know any of you guys but for God's sake lighten up....
They're just women. If they didn't have a bleep there'd be a bounty on em.....
And that's without a Hans. What organization was this that allows DE participants (amateurs) to take a friend in the car with them on a track like Sebring? He obviously needed an instructor not some friend in the car......

On that note let me add that I wonder how much of his wife's negativity projected through to his driving. If you're thinking about crashing, and worrying about what your wife's will say if you do crash, then I agree you're better off taking up golf....
So let's see, VR questioned the guys marital backbone and JR questioned the guys driving when he came he to report that he just totaled his car.....nice approach guys. Has nothing to do with "lightening up" or growing some thick skin, it has to do with showing a little more class to Mark than the comments you have made.

Time to unsubscribe

Again, Mark, best to you and glad to hear you are ok
Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, I am a veteran of 28 years.....of marriage that is. You have to do what is right for the both of you. If the decision is one-sided, believe me it will come up at ugly times in the future. And sorry about your car, though what is most important is that you were not hurt. This is a sport where you must realize the risks up-front and hopefully not have to deal with them, but if so, you and your family knew that going in.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark, I am a veteran of 28 years.....of marriage that is. You have to do what is right for the both of you. If the decision is one-sided, believe me it will come up at ugly times in the future.
Great advice
Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crash....and most importantly glad you walked away healthy. I spent 20 years racing moto-x on and off before getting into the DE's and now a few Club Races. My wife was never a big fan of the moto-x due to multiple injuries and was ironically relieved when I took up the DE's. I positioned it as making me a better driver on the street. She's not been to one track event but has been supportive throughout it recognizing it's a great passion of mine. That's probably why I've been married for over 20 years...
Bottom line is; don't make any hasty decisions under duress......... Think it thru and you'll make the right decision.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So let's see, VR questioned the guys marital backbone and JR questioned the guys driving when he came he to report that he just totaled his car.....nice approach guys. Has nothing to do with "lightening up" or growing some thick skin, it has to do with showing a little more class to Mark than the comments you have made.

Time to unsubscribe

+10
Mark glad to hear you are OK , the racing decision has to be yours , if you are concerned or not comfortable with it walk away. The fact that your wife does not want you racing , now more so than ever, makes it a no brainer.
I agree with walking away from the car , makes the decision to give up racing much easier and most importantly your wife don't get to see it.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You guys need to get a grip. A marriage is TWO ways, not ONE way.

I have been married nearly 18 years. You know my hobbies, and some of my occupations. She has her concerns, has verbalized them, and I have considered them in deciding my future paths.

'Nuff said.
* Married 18 yrs Bing , Bing , gave the lady a medal Pleaseeeeee
* Hobbies - Being crass comes to mind
* Some of your occupation - Hmmm your employed, LOL...

You're talking about the sheep right?....
LOL.... what you thought it was the girls , VR loves mutton
Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like VR has a new member in his fan club.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I see the humor in your post VR, I have to respectfully disagree. When you have a wife as great as some of us do, even the "temptation" you illustrate in your pic still doesn't justify the outcome.
+1 (35 years and counting).
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I should have clarified. He was a "new friend". However he happened to be an instructor also.

We got to talking because we each had spec E30 BMW's. I am solo but he volunteered to take me out to check out my car's brake system and also give me some tips. (I've not been solo that long and still value instruction)
So what he'd have to say about your brakes from the right seat?....
Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
...The car was totalled and I gave it to the two truck operator in return for getting it out of there....
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and glad to hear you're ok, but WOW was that an expensive tow. I have yet to see a totally racecar that did not have a ton off goodies you could pull off and part out to recover some of your investment.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to unsubscribe

Dell what are you smoking back there on Tabacco Road tonight? VR never questioned his martial backbone, he just posted a funny pic and made a stupid joke that even included sheep (not that there's anything wrong with that). And I never questioned his driving, just his state of mind on the track since he mentioned his wife's nagging about 20-30 times. The guy shouldn't have been on the track in the first place without the complete understanding/agreement from his wife. You guys with the understanding wives know that. The fact that he ran knowing she objected is all I need to know about him. Of course we're all sorry he crashed and relieved that no one was injured. Class is relative. Was running regardless of his wife's concerns a class act?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Boy, this is a tough bunch!!! Glad to hear you're ok Mark - I hate to see you make a hasty decision and give your car to the tow company - but I understand the decision was made at an emotional time. Take a few days - reflect on what happen and re-evaluate - if then, if you still feel the same way about the car and this hobby - god bless and move on to something new - enjoy life - it's too short - so do what feels right and what makes YOU happy!

Lou Lipari
1992 968 Firehawk
PCA Nationally Certified Instructor
Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark - I remember when you purchased the GT3, and I remember when you sold it... Like you, I am completely addicted to this hobby. Two weeks ago today, I put my GT3 into a tire wall at 60mph. I decided to step away from the car for two weeks to clear my head. The first week was quite painful as I kept re-living the event and second guessing my actions. By now, I have come to grips with what has happened and will continue to DE - though have decided to begin karting as well to work on my driving skills. I'll be taking my "3" into the dealer on Monday for an assessment of the damage. I expect this to be one costly mistake, but at least it was done doing something that I really enjoy. I told myself when I first bought this car for DE-use to "live the dream" and "its only money - I can make more".... I still stand by those words. No regrets.

Hang in there. Glad to hear that you are okay. Damaged pride keeps us humble...
-Blake
Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark-

Go with your gut every time and never look back. Life's hard enough without the "I wonder if..." demon hanging out on your shoulder. As for all the other comments, when we've all walked a mile in your shoes we can comment on the non-technical racing/DE stuff, until then....
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark, I am a veteran of 28 years.....of marriage that is. You have to do what is right for the both of you. If the decision is one-sided, believe me it will come up at ugly times in the future. And sorry about your car, though what is most important is that you were not hurt. This is a sport where you must realize the risks up-front and hopefully not have to deal with them, but if so, you and your family knew that going in.

Larry,

In retrospect I'm at least partially at fault for how this has played out in terms of my wife's view on it. I've always maintained to my wife that this isn't that dangerous of a hobby. (I still maintain that driving on public roads is comparably dangerous) Up til the crash yesterday she couldn't argue since I came home fine each time. Now she can say "see I told you so"
Old 08-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

So what he'd have to say about your brakes from the right seat?....
He said the brakes are fine. He loved how the car handled. I was used to the brakes on the 996 GT3. I hadn't driven this car that much yet so was still recalling how the 3 braked. His comment was that no car is going to stop as well as a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby