Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

From an email I got
http://www.fmcsacompliance.com/?p=26
Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In NJ where I buy my nitrogen they said I only need to have the protective valve covers on the tanks for transport. No Haz Mat sign needed. Is this not correct ?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
In NJ where I buy my nitrogen they said I only need to have the protective valve covers on the tanks for transport. No Haz Mat sign needed. Is this not correct ?
Andy, the local Airgas dealer I use told me the same.

I'm hanging my hat on weighing less than 26,000. I'm not going to apply for a number and especially not getting a CDL. GMC 2500 Crew Cab diesel, Haulmark 20' enclosed with cabinets, tools, spare wheels/tires, jacks, etc, and the RSA. The total rig weighs 14,740. Everything is registered to me personally, and that may be the hiccup for those of you with them registered to your company. I do have the red text racing logos on the trailer and haven't decided whether or not to pull them yet. It doesn't make any money, and I don't expense anything, but I don't want to invite the law to give me grief.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick, this is a great service to listers posting this thread. Although mainly about enclosed trailers, be aware that open trailers are getting similar treatment in NY near Watkins Glen. I spoke with a NASA racer that was pulled over last year and they weighed his trailer. After checking the load for the trailer, they checked his vehicle GVRW and the guys pulling (they had pulled over a bunch of trailers) that exceeded the load limit were ticketed and had to get another vehicle to tow their trailer or they impounded the trailer/racecar (more fines of course).
Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I'll bet you had to have a lawyer too.
Actually, no, and to be honest, the trial part annoyed me even more.....

....so I'm thinking "jeez, these sound like some serious charges - heck they towed my vehicle and such, the fine has got to be huge, maybe even license issues, so I'll go fight it". Well, I get up there, and the officer shows up (nothing better to do in Newburg, NY - btw, I was wrong, not the Tappen Zee bridge, it was the Newburgh Beacon bridge). He proceeds to show the ADA my website and that we are a car dealer, blah, blah, blah. The ADA says I have no case, that the laws are clear (obviously not based on this entire thread) and I have to pay the fine.

total on the fine? $165.... that's it.

Had I known, I would have just paid them and not driven all the way up and back for the court date. I had the option just to pay, but NY doesn't tell you the fine until AFTER you decide to plead guilty. Such a farce....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
maybe an early air cooled cup
Hard to beat!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
and I tried to argue that I was not dealing in interstate commerce....COMMERCE being the operative word here. The officer even said to me "well, you race cars right? Don't you make money at it?" I actually laughed out loud at him....

They weren't buying it....then he looked up my website...

The 10,000 thing is for the GVW of the truck itself. The 26,000 is for the combined truck and trailer. I did have commercial (called "weighted" down here) tags on the truck - which saved me another ticket - but it's the package being over 26k that screwed me...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Rick, this is a great service to listers posting this thread. Although mainly about enclosed trailers, be aware that open trailers are getting similar treatment in NY near Watkins Glen. I spoke with a NASA racer that was pulled over last year and they weighed his trailer. After checking the load for the trailer, they checked his vehicle GVRW and the guys pulling (they had pulled over a bunch of trailers) that exceeded the load limit were ticketed and had to get another vehicle to tow their trailer or they impounded the trailer/racecar (more fines of course).
thank you; glad I could help my fellow car nuts.
In fact, the value of the thread (to me and I hope to other readers) is the info and questions provided by our fellow Rennlisters. As usual, I learned a lot more than I contributed.
That story about WGI sounds like what VT was telling me. Could be that we can expect tighter enforcement. Must be a revenue thing.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Actually, no, and to be honest, the trial part annoyed me even more.....

....so I'm thinking "jeez, these sound like some serious charges - heck they towed my vehicle and such, the fine has got to be huge, maybe even license issues, so I'll go fight it". Well, I get up there, and the officer shows up (nothing better to do in Newburg, NY - btw, I was wrong, not the Tappen Zee bridge, it was the Newburgh Beacon bridge). He proceeds to show the ADA my website and that we are a car dealer, blah, blah, blah. The ADA says I have no case, that the laws are clear (obviously not based on this entire thread) and I have to pay the fine.

total on the fine? $165.... that's it.

Had I known, I would have just paid them and not driven all the way up and back for the court date. I had the option just to pay, but NY doesn't tell you the fine until AFTER you decide to plead guilty. Such a farce....
I was probably in the court house in Staten Island for tickets once a year in the 90's for summonses our trucks received from the Port Authority cops at the Goethals bridge and because we were a business we always had to have representation by an attorney. You lucked out!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
HI ALL; fyi with housing etc so bad definitly no racing this year. Thinking of selling GT1 car, pit cart and trailer as a turn key deal and moving to something with a lighter budget. maybe an early air cooled cup. If anyone is interested in a serious big dog car keep your eyes open for an ad soon.
best regards
Bill
Ugh yourself - you thinking of downsizing your racing efforts is a sure sign of the apocalypse.
Wouldn't this be a bad time to be selling your car/trailer and equipment?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
Oh snap! I have a 60 pounder that is not made for a cover. Now WTF?!?! Maybe wrap it in a blanket and hide it. 20 pounders are looking good right now.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (off topic) selling out / trading down

Wouldn't this be a bad time to be selling your car/trailer and equipment?
Hi Rick – all

I’m sure there are less potential buyers what with the current conditions. But I figure there are plenty of potential buyers in PCA or Vintage (if they change engine to 3.0L) who have the check book to buy a turn key package that is a proven winner. I mean everyone always says if you are ready to take the next step that it is better to buy a used compete unit rather than build or convert one from scratch. Hell a lot of people will look at the ad just to see what the dyno sheets really say!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Now that the weekend is over, I'm wondering if anyone had any problems with the LEOs and traliers.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeze...don't even have plates on the one trailer and the other one's reg. is 2 years expired....I may have to change my name to F350Lawlessman

What a waste of manpower pulling over racing hobbyists while truckloads of illegals speed by in their landscape vehicle/trailer combos.....nice. How's about stopping those dump trucks that ALMOST ALL scatter debris over the road, cracking our windshields, ruining paint jobs and causing bikers to dump!

Quick Reply: Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)