Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I got pulled over in FL on my way to Sebring after blowing by a weigh station. I got quizzed about what was in the trailer, whether or not I was commercial etc. Luckily, my truck is in my name. Not sure about the trailer although I think it is too. He was cool but did measure me to see if I was less than 65 feet long (IIRC). I was two feet short.

It's hard to beat the system anymore. I just titled the truck in my name and took the hit on depreciation rather than deal with the PITA it would be to have a commercial truck and trailer (higher cost of insurance and higher limits etc).

I got pulled over on my way to Mid-Ohio and learned that my truck and trailer must obey the 55 mph speed limit. I thought the 55 mph only dealt with commercial vehicles. I was pleading, "but I've taken great pains not to be commercial". It is all about the weight not commercial v. non-commercial. This was news to me, as I never really read the sign closely. I told the cop, as he was explaining the ticket to me for 72 in a 55 that I've unknowingly been speeding everywhere I have been going for the last two years.

I knew that putting a name or really much of anything on the side of either vehicle (tow or trailer) was a big red flag. I keep thinking I should put NOT FOR HIRE on the side of the trailer just to be sure.
John,

I don't stop @ Florida weigh stations BUT I always stop @ the Ag inspection stations with my enclosed trailer.

Peter
Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys might find some of this useful: http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/248914.aspx
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
2nd link in my rant now fixed...if you don't feel like scrolling back, scroll down to "Question 21":

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...738&guidence=Y
Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

What I can't find is a clear definition of what a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) is. The Question 21 example is nice, but it is in reference to CMV's.
I would like to have something that shows that if you are a private owner with a privately owned truck and trailer you are not a CMV.
Looking at this another way, I printed up the info and form for applying for a USDOT number. I think it shows that a private owner not conducting commerce does not qualify--I don't know-- it is worth a try. I would be seriously pissed if I was detained 10 hours for no reason. I have a SRW Ford F-250 and 28ft tag-- no stickers or markings on either.
Thanks for the heads-up and all the info.

Link to application. Good definitions of different CMV classes.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/f...s-and-Form.pdf
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Doug
My pleasure; you should have seen how much fun we had peeling off our stupid little sign stickers during our 10 hour 'sit in the corner' time; at least it gave us something to do.
My call Monday (with state DOT officer) seemed to include the message to me that having a DOT # is not something you want to have if you are not required to have it (comes with all kinds of baggage).
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Friggin' govt! This couldn't be easy could it.

10,000 or 26,000?
Hobby? Trophy? Profit? Income on a tax return?

WTF!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
My call Monday (with state DOT officer) seemed to include the message to me that having a DOT # is not something you want to have if you are not required to have it (comes with all kinds of baggage).
Amen. HUGE pain-in-the-***. All sorts of bureaucratic hoops to jump thru..."New Entrant" visits by a "Compliance Official" to your "facility" (your house, most likely); massive paperwork trail required; Up in radar range for all sorts of other crap.

YOU DO NOT WANT A US DOT #.

Trust me on this one. As I mentioned before, here at work - even though we're not moving anything "for hire" - we've got a few vehicles in the fleet that do require US DOT registration, and I pulled the short straw and got the responsibility to keep it all in order. Pain-in-the-***.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I am not going to apply for a DOT#. NOO-way.
I just printed it out because there is a lot of good info in it.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM
M758
Race Director

The thing that I find really sad here is that there is so much conflicting information. It is not that the other posters are the problem, but the rules seem so abigious so much of the time.

The simple fact is that 95% of us are not doing this for a buiness. It is all about a hobby. We may get sponsor to fork over $500 here and there and then put their name on the car. Why? Well firstly to give some attention to those that helped out and also since no decals just makes the cars not feel like race cars. Often times we joke that stickers add 50hp, but for most of us racers stickers make the cars feel more like race cars and thus we feel like it is more fun. Dumb to besure, but hey... what is that harm as we are out there for fun anyway.

That brings up the larger point. We do this for fun and all the published rules are such that guys doing things for fun are NOT commercial. It is common theme in the rules, but the wording is such that it all seems to depend on how it is interpreted. It is not about the weight as RV's are darn heavy yet they all get a pass. As they should since they are pleasure craft.

The sad thing is that every year guys nailed for not following commerical regs when we are simply not commercial. You would think given the intent of rules we would be in the clear, but obviously some dispute that.

This does not even bring up the point of proper pro race teams that do have racing as a business and how they get by this. Or the shop that transports cars to the track or bring their car and a customer car. Honestly I can see all this confusion for these guys, but some dude with trailer? Sad indeed.

BTW...

What do think if you see this 3/4 ton truck with contractor shell and open trailer. Commercial or not? (truck is not commerical registered and is not used for any business purpose). Am I inviting trouble?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Am I inviting trouble?
Absolutely. Do not move either vehicle. I will come with my CDL and DOTed CMV and kart them away for you for a very reasonable fee.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Absolutely. Do not move either vehicle. I will come with my CDL and DOTed CMV and kart them away for you for a very reasonable fee.
Just trade me the GT3 and we will call it even.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M758

BTW...

What do think if you see this 3/4 ton truck with contractor shell and open trailer. Commercial or not? (truck is not commerical registered and is not used for any business purpose). Am I inviting trouble?
Hard to say given the info in this thread. I pulled a car that was full of stickers/sponsor's name for the past two years on an open Trailex pulled by a pick-up with a Dealer plate on it. Never had a problem....but that proves nothing. Now I'm back to a plain white RSA with numbers on the side.

What a punch of bureaucratic crap-o-la!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL exclusion

Personal vehicles(including rental vehicles) up to 26,000 lbs GVWR when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes."
The above quote is what I got from Mass State Pol. "truck team" member. He made the point it is the COMBINED GVWR of the tow vehical and trailer. I hammered him on trailer GVWR being over 10,000lbs tripping the CDL rule and he said no, only single truck or combination over 26000. I have class A CDL and medical card due to my buisness but was worried about my friend that helps with the driving. Any dirver of a buinsess owned truck over 12000GVWR (duelly pickups) is suposed to have medical card and by rights the truck should have DOT # put if you do then you expose yourself to weight stations so I take my chances on this one.

One thing I do is carry a copy of the DOT regualtion that it is legal to carry LESS THAN 500 lbs of flamable liquid without placard. (55 gal drum = 330Lbs) I do this for crossing the Canadian boarder where I have had the inside of trailer checked going both ways. Never had fuel questioned but just firgured it would not hurt to show I was following US DOT law if someone questioned it.

I had my ATC 40' gooseneck delivered with a de-rated GVWR tag so my 3500 dually and trailer are under 26000.
Enforcement is all over the place state to state all you can do is take you best shot and hope.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Bill
Thanks for the input; I am beginning to conclude that taking off the signs will get me by. I sure don't want the DOT # if I can help it; can you imagine having to stop at the check stations?
Long time no see; we were up at LCMT with NER. Had a blast. Bill Rudtner was paddocked right next to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

This is one of the best threads of read to date. Pretty sure I'm skating on the pretty thin ice.

Quick Reply: Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)