Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My understanding is that if you are hauling for interstate commerce (for hire) over 10k you have to have DOT number. If you are hauling you own stuff (not for hire) it is not required.
New York and Connecticut have started enforcing it on less than 26000 lb trucks. Pennsylvania has not
Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to drive a truck commercially from FL to NC all the time. The DOT cops are hard core. You are lucky to have gotten off with the warning.

As some reccomended - Definitely put the NOT FOR HIRE sign on the truck and trailer, ditch the logos on truck and trailer and buy 2 log books. You can buy them at any truckstop. They are a just in case. You just have to remember to make an entry when you leave home and leave the track.

I would also find out what safety equipment is required for commercial vehicles of your size and weight, and make sure they are up to date and installed properly (ie fire extinguisher in a bracket etc).

I know it is a PITA, but beats 10 hours of seat time at the weigh station.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hey Mike
You know what I hate? being corrected by a young guy (who happens to know what he is talking about).
I would like to see that article; thanks.
The weird thing of course is that I own all of these things so I didn't consider that I was arms length as to company and trailer/car.
Something else important thing to add that you also found out the hard way (I learned this from a MA SP truck cop) unlike a typical private motor vehicle, when you are commercial (or they even suspect you are) they need no excuse to pull you over (doesn't matter if you are not speeding, etc).

Then there is the issue of company/individual risk when you are are self employed.... you know of anyone who specializes in stuff like that....

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Driving to the track in a street car is looking better all the time...
I keep trying to convince my dad of that, but he always insists if you are going far what happens when something fails, damage, etc. Of course I then suggest I would drive out on his Dealer plate and if something happens, find someone in the MA area with a trailer and a streetable car, the put the dealer plate on the streetable car, and the broken car in the trailer
Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Janni
Intermediate

This has been cropping up not just for race cars, but for things like 3500 dually trucks towing bobcats (you KNOW they are hauling heavy) and no one operating them have licenses and they are definitely engaged in commerce.

If you register your truck to a business, they have a reasonable assumption that you are using it for commerce. If you sticker up your rig, it looks like it's a for $$$ operation.

You should also be cognizant if your state has a graduated license that you can get to tow something heavier than 10K GVWR. I have a Class A Classified license that says I can haul over 26,000 pounds, but I am not commercial. Our truck is registered to us, as is out trailer. It's also a plain white box.

I had a long talk with the DOT Enforcement folks - and as long as I am not in this for commerce - I am fine - and I have tried to comply with any local regulations - i.e. the Class A Classified license. I had to take a drivers test while towing the trailer and I have some stricter regulations on my renewal.

Best to know about this stuff before hitting hte road with your trailers.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Janni
Best to know about this stuff before hitting hte road with your trailers.
You sure got that right - I was totally surprised. And I don't like to be surprised.
But, the good news is it was on the way home and so I didn't miss any track time.
When I got pulled over, I thought 'what, another bearing failure? Flat tire? Wheel coming off?' So, it could have been worse.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

wow... that guy was BORED. I've never heard of this... you east-coast guys hosed!

if you're not hauling meth or illegals they leave us alone out here!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I was going to suggest you launch a wayward trailer wheel at the DOT agent, but never mind.

How was the lcmt event?

(a truly disturbing thread, I might add).
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The WI dot did this a couple of years ago at the local short track. They stopped everyone who was leaving, and wrote out a big stack of tickets.

There's a couple of pro racers who have their tow rigs registered as rv's, I'm not sure if they get around the weigh stations and regulations or not, I'll have to try to ask them this weekend.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I would have never thought about this except for this thread. I called the Troopers office- clueless. I think he was going to write me a ticket for using the word 'racecar'.

I called the Federal guy in Montgomery and he asked about my weight ratings, vehicle weight, trailer weight etc, and then he asked, "do you cross state lines?"
"Shoot yeah," I said, "there is only one track in Alabama."
"Well, you'll need a USDOT# and a CDL. Here's the website, http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...ntrant-faq.asp "
"Do I have to stop at every weigh station now?"
He said, "I would if there are troopers pointing all of the commercial traffic into the station."

Not for hire stickers won't any good he said. It comes down to weight. For what its worth, my set up is 14,750 pounds completely loaded for a track weekend.

Since Real Estate development will be volunteer work for the next few years, maybe I could put my new CDL to work to pay for crack, uh, I mean, track.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry it cost you 10 hours on the side of the road.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

AWww crap, I was thinking about a stacker to share with a friend. I guess I won't chance it. Pulling with my RV my total weight is around 40K pounds with my trailer right at 9K pounds. I meet all my weight limets, GCVW etc... Now just need to check how I titled everything to make sure its personal. I guess If they set me on the side of the road for 10 hours, at least I have my bed with me.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Janni
Intermediate

FYI - I did a little research on this a couple years ago and there is an exemption to the commercial motor vehicle statutes for the hobbyist:

There IS an exemption for individuals doing this as a hobby. I suspect that all goes out hte window as soon as you register a truck / trailer in the name of a business - but - this is per the DOT.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...nterp390.3.htm
Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events? Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

Here's the original statute:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...9CFR390.3(f)(3)

Might not be a bad idea to print this for others and have it with you when you are towing your personal DE or race car.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Did this happen in the people's republic ??

Jack

(of Worcester and Boston many years ago)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm pretty confused. According to NYS DMV:

"EXEMPTIONS
Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
CDL requirement:
.... Personal vehicles(including rental vehicles) up to 26,000 lbs GVWR when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes."
Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
smankow
Pro

I believe that the DOT rules are based upon those that exist in the state of registration for the truck and trailer.

Steve
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
I was going to suggest you launch a wayward trailer wheel at the DOT agent, but never mind.

How was the lcmt event?

(a truly disturbing thread, I might add).

Had a great time; no rain, great music, no mechanical or other problems, and had Bill N to chase around the track.
A blast - you and Mindy should try it someday.

Quick Reply: Trailer enforcement warning (or, your government $ at work) (a bit long)