Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you build a 996 Spec if this became a PCA Class?
Absolutely! I'm in!
25.16%
Interested, but not right now
44.52%
No
30.32%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Would you build a 996 Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Oh yeah, I need that like a hole in my head.

However, Henriksen loves my avatar.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

With the 3.4l engine and replacing it, how does the cable throttle of the '99, and dbw throttle of the '00-'01 play into things? I was under the impression that if you had a '99 car, you had to buy an engine specific to that '99 car. Is it just the 3.4l boxster S motor, and adapted for either cable or dbw? My mechanic friend recomended going '00-'01 b/c he thought those engines would be more plentiful, and thought the '99's w/ original engines had more potential for problems, and if you wanted to convert to a 3.6 one day, the '00 computer would allow for plug and play replacement. The downside to the '00 he said, was that you had to reflash the computer to get rid of psm completely. Sure seems like there are a lot more '99s for sale, and for cheaper, though.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
AS for tire sizes, I can tell you that you need to look at Circumference. THe 245 - 285 set up did not work for me. THe tire height was almost 3/4" difference. The front was too high and took out all of the 10+mm drop that I dialed in with the adjustable shocks.

235 - 275 with the Toyo R888 is what works.

Additionally ( and viking may want to chime in on this) you can't just come up with a spring rate without giving consideration to the dynamics of the tire being used. The 700/900 spring rates were really derived from the Koni and World Challenge teams usage of a tire with different properties from the Hoosier.
I agree for the Spec class a cheaper tire is better. My question was really to the one guy that said he was testing some Hoosiers, since I'm running Hoosiers also I pointed out that they recently came out with a 255 tire, it usually doesn't come up on the price or spec lists because it is fairly new. It is a good option for some running Hoosiers dependent on your set up. I run tires larger than you guys are looking at and more costly, but I am not looking to run Spec 996 with that car also. We have tested the smaller sizes and for our car/driver set up are choosing to go with the larger sizes.

Yes regarding the spring rate and tire, I would really recommend a 600/800 spring with the DOT Toyo's, the fast guys will still be fast, the slow guys will appreciate it, although they won't know they appreciate it. If you really want to give the fast guys something then give stiffer sway bars and stiffer bushings. Or make a Spec 996 class AND a Prepared Spec 996 class which could include 996 3.6 or 3.4's with Motons or solid bushings, or .... well you get the idea.

The rules for Spec 996 need to be agreed upon and the sooner the better, otherwise you will have guys with wheels and suspensions and more that they already bought and then will have to sell on Ebay and not have a good feeling about Spec 996. Or they will fight on what Spec 996 should use not because it is correct for the class as a whole but because it is what they already have on "their" Spec 996. - And actually this is already happening, so get the base rules down and set ASAP or atleast get some official/unofficial "proposed" rules in place.

I really would love to see this class do well, I see great potential with it and growth in PCA, and even into other races venues such as NASA GTS. It will be easy to take a Spec 996 and go race with NASA thus allowing a number of potential more races to do for someone.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been some rules issued recently to the people who are already building them and I think will be on the spec996 website sooner or later. A lot of use were waiting until these came out last week in order to start ordering everything.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
There have been some rules issued recently to the people who are already building them and I think will be on the spec996 website sooner or later. A lot of use were waiting until these came out last week in order to start ordering everything.
Interesting, of the handful of people I know building Spec 996 cars they each seem to be on different pages.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Any comments on what I wrote below on a 99 vs '00-01 starter car?

With the 3.4l engine and replacing it, how does the cable throttle of the '99, and dbw throttle of the '00-'01 play into things? I was under the impression that if you had a '99 car, you had to buy an engine specific to that '99 car. Is it just the 3.4l boxster S motor, and adapted for either cable or dbw? My mechanic friend recomended going '00-'01 b/c he thought those engines would be more plentiful, and thought the '99's w/ original engines had more potential for problems, and if you wanted to convert to a 3.6 one day, the '00 computer would allow for plug and play replacement. The downside to the '00 he said, was that you had to reflash the computer to get rid of psm completely. Sure seems like there are a lot more '99s for sale, and for cheaper, though.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
Originally Posted by onefastviking
Interesting, of the handful of people I know building Spec 996 cars they each seem to be on different pages.
That's because we started building our cars before the rules were published. Had to in order to be ready for the club race. Since there is no 996 Spec class for this year's PCA season, it will just be a gentleman's race anyway, so it really doesn't matter. And we're not really on all that different of a page. Our suspensions are identical with the exception of the brand of shock absorber. Admittedly a non-trivial difference, but it could be worse.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Edwards
Any comments on what I wrote below on a 99 vs '00-01 starter car?

I can't answer a lot of these questions, but fwiw, my car is a 2000. It does not have PSM, and I'm fairly certain it is not e-gas. I might have it wrong, bu I think PSM and e-gas hit in 2000 only for the C4.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I can't answer a lot of these questions, but fwiw, my car is a 2000. It does not have PSM, and I'm fairly certain it is not e-gas. I might have it wrong, bu I think PSM and e-gas hit in 2000 only for the C4.
The only non e-gas cars were the '99 C2. Even the '99 C4 was an e-gas car and everything from '00+ has e-gas. I don't think the 5hp difference should be a deal breaker. From what I remember it wasn't any mechanical difference it was simply a mapping change that came along with the e-gas cars. Not sure if the series is going to allow an ECU flash or not but that would get rid of the difference between the two right there.

It really shouldn't matter though. Even if you do decide to go to a 3.6 in a '99 several shops have figured out how to do the swap with ease. You can re-flash the DME in the 99 to accept a 3.6 flash, continue to use the throttle cable throttle body and then it just requires an external controller for the Variocam+ functionality and you're set. Roock (http://www.roocksport.com/) has done several of these swaps including a couple for board members here.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Since there is no 996 Spec class for this year's PCA season, it will just be a gentleman's race anyway...
Guess that leaves you out...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes please, spend my money.

But by no means does my admittance to said spec end the tawdry love affair with my Targa. It's simply a practical decision, which I am occasionally capable of. To be brutally honest, spec racing the 996 is a great way to captialize on Porsche's ever-depreciating red-headed stepchild. And I mean that in the nicest way, really.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
To be brutally honest, spec racing the 996 is a great way to captialize on Porsche's ever-depreciating red-headed stepchild. And I mean that in the nicest way, really.
Adrienne, 993's won't be allowed in the 996 spec and they'd be at a severe perfomance disadvantage anyway. Lastly, I wouldn't consider the 993 a Porsche "red-headed stepchild". I hear some actually like them, although they are clearly not as popular as models like the Boxster, 944, 928 etc.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Yes please, spend my money.

But by no means does my admittance to said spec end the tawdry love affair with my Targa. It's simply a practical decision, which I am occasionally capable of. To be brutally honest, spec racing the 996 is a great way to captialize on Porsche's ever-depreciating red-headed stepchild. And I mean that in the nicest way, really.
So... when does the build begin?

Quick Reply: Would you build a 996 Spec?