Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you build a 996 Spec if this became a PCA Class?
Absolutely! I'm in!
25.16%
Interested, but not right now
44.52%
No
30.32%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Would you build a 996 Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

HA!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
How did you come up with that mix of springs ? What struts ?
H&R RSS clubsport coilovers. These are the stock springs that came on them. I was a little worried about the split as well but it's proportionally the same split front / rear that a GT3 has, just approx. double the spring rate of a GT3. Car drives great with this setup and GT3 bars actually...and it's still streetable. I wanted something inexpensive that I could bolt-on and learn the car with and they've been a great solution.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Flat6Racer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 996

So, just bought a 996 and will track it with an eye to Spec. Are any rules nailed down? Really want to screw down the susp as it floats worse than my stock M3! I'm also interested in more low end torque--intake/exhaust.

But I don't want to spend coin on s**t I have to sell off later.

Sisco, where are we, man...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the rules that are "nailed down" are GT3 control arms, rear toe links, and GT3 sway bars with Tarrett drop links. We've agreed to not use solid bushings except for those that are already in the toe links. Also, we're allowing a third radiator install. Stock airbox, and stock exhaust manifold, with the exhaust free from the cats back. Interior can be stripped (including carpet). No CF parts allowed. GT3 front bumper with splitter allowed. We're debating about a wing. So far I think we're going to try to run without one to keep costs down.

Unfortunately, we've not settled on shocks yet. Bill is running Ohlins that he got used for a nice price. Greg Stewart has Moton Clubsports, and I'm running Cross Competitions (600/800 lb/in springs). We went with three different solutions so we could test them out. I chose the least expensive of the lot. Personally, I'd like to see the spec open to several single and double adjustable shocks, with some sort of limit on how high-end you can go. Maybe limit to maximum of double adjustables? That way folks could get in at the lower cost solution if they want, and there would a cap to how far you can go with expenditures. That would also keep people from having to spend extra money to swap out to a particular shock when the spec becomes more etched in stone. For me the objective is to keep the cars "affordable".

edit: WRT to my comment on cap on expenditures, I don't mean that there would be a written limit to costs. Just that we would limit the options so that folks could not buy speed by out-spending each other.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnewhouse

Sisco, where are we, man...
Right here buddy. 'Bout time!

I have some cup car shocks that need a rebuild. They are complete and would just need top mounts (you'd need them anyway) and maybe a different spring rate. You are welcome to use them if you want, but you'll need to rebuild them. If you like them, we'll work a deal. If not, give them back.

I also have the M030 suspension off my car. Bolts right on.

If you want the "wiz bang" Motons or the like, let me know and I'll see if I can scare up a deal. We need to talk. We've been working with a few key suppliers who support these cars. We've kept true to them because the support has been excellent.

OH yeah, you'll need a two car trailer.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
OH yeah, you'll need a three car trailer.
Fixed it for you.

Bob, btw, given you're Bellaire address, you must live close by. I'm right near the Galleria. My car is going up to Topp racing this weekend to get a cage, but if you want to check it out when I get it back, you're welcome to stop by.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 AM
bb45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys

I'm pleased to announce that POC has accepted the 996 Spec for the 2009 year.
We will finish pinning down the fine points and get the spec posted asap on the
996specracing.com site.

We want to hear from you and will watch this site as well to get feedback and help answer questions.

Thanks for your support of this new spec.

bill bodine
996 Spec
bill.bodine@gmail.com
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Cool development. I'd like to see where the suspension options go. As much as I'd love to see Motons or JRZ's be allowed...in a spec class that starts to leave lots of variables on the table and brings tuners more into the game vs. just drivers. It's kinda like having a spec SIZE tire but no specification otherwise. You'll get guys on everthing from Toyo's to slicks if you do it that way. Those that have the money to throw at it will have fresh slicks every race vs. the guy on a shoestring budget guy who's on a set of 40 HC Toyo's.

Even spec Boxster requires you to use Bilstein PSS9's right? I know they allow a re-spring up to certain rates but a simple unit like that helps a ton of costs and development work down. The JIC's come to mind as a package that's already got all of this. I'm guessing JIC's camber plates would be a no-no in the rule book though?

Personally I'd like to see the old Bilstein non-adjustable cup car units used again with a narrow margin of what spring rates you can use on the car. They're readily available, Bilstein has tons of info and experience re-valving for specific spring rates and you'd likely see a vendor come up with the entire package so you don't have to source stuff all over the map. If it was good enough to keep things close in the cup series for the first few years then why no in a 996 spec class too?

Andy
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Personally I'd like to see the old Bilstein non-adjustable cup car units used again with a narrow margin of what spring rates you can use on the car. They're readily available, Bilstein has tons of info and experience re-valving for specific spring rates and you'd likely see a vendor come up with the entire package so you don't have to source stuff all over the map. If it was good enough to keep things close in the cup series for the first few years then why no in a 996 spec class too?

Andy
That's a great idea, I wish they had done that with the Spec Boxsters. I know 2 GT3 Cup drivers who put the non-adjustable 997 Cup Sach shocks on their older 996 Cups and like them a lot....
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, non-adjustables were talked about back in the early pages of this post. I was competitive against the late cars w/adjustables in my early cup with the Bilsteins. They are great shocks & like Andy said, Bilstein is very familiar with them. Plus lots of them are on shelves from early cups that upgraded & refreshes are reasoanable through Bilstein. Either way, I can almost guarantee you only one shock will be approved for spec & it will be a reasonably priced unit.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like this may move forward....but no Mk II's allowed.

Come on guys, why not just give the new cars a a weight penalty and allow all 996's to play?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

FWIW, Texas contingent is I think in favor of camber plates and solid rear mounts.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
You don't need the plates if you run the GT3 arms. We are backing them out of our Spec after this next year.

Ray,
I hear ya' but just like Box Spec, early cars are cheap & plentiful. It keeps the Spec tight.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
Looks like this may move forward....but no Mk II's allowed.

Come on guys, why not just give the new cars a a weight penalty and allow all 996's to play?
I think that right now, the GTB category in PCA is the place for the Mk II's. The issue for the 3.4l's is that they might be forced to run at the same weight as the 3.6's, thus the 996 Spec concept.

Now with PCA adjusting weights, possibilities open up for 996 Spec in GTB.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Mike,
You don't need the plates if you run the GT3 arms. We are backing them out of our Spec after this next year.
Or do the OEM GT3 monoballs (camber plates) instead of the arms as a cheper option while still being able to specifiy a single part as being spec? At my current ride height I can get >-3.0 of camber in the front on the stock control arms with the GT3 monoballs. They're a damn bit cheaper than doing the whole control arm swap too. (yes, I do have a touch of bump steer at this height (105mm) before anyone asks.)

Quick Reply: Would you build a 996 Spec?