Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you build a 996 Spec if this became a PCA Class?
Absolutely! I'm in!
25.16%
Interested, but not right now
44.52%
No
30.32%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Would you build a 996 Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I am fairly certain that the 3.4 in the Mk I 996 and the Boxster S 3.4 are far from the same engine.
My understanding is that they are the same engine, just installed backwards in the Boxster, but I'm no expert.

A few things I left off:

Third Radiator is allowed.
Brakes are stock, but any one-piece rotor is allowed. No floating rotors.
Stock ECU
LWFW allowed
Mufflers and/or cats can be bypassed

Keep in mind as you look at the suggested rules that the idea is not to build the fastest 996 possible, but to keep build costs "reasonable", and to make the car reliable and safe. We're trying to build cars that cost $40-$45k including the donor, and to keep running costs down (hence the R888 or similar tire NT-01?)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us California guys are building as well. I am hoping to have it out by feb 7 to test.

Basically everything you have there, with the PSS10 and 672lb front, 900lb rear springs. The other car being built is already pretty light and I will know the weight of mine shortly.

I am not doing the LWFW but do have an open exhaust. We (the 2 drivers building them here) are hoping for the hooisers since we are going to be in a class with much faster cars for the time being.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
The initial thought was to go with the 3.4l because the cars are cheap, and replacement engines are plentiful since it is the same as the Boxster S engine. It keeps things simple by not having to worry about weight handicaps. And if for some reason 3.6 turned out to be a faster car, it would drive the cost up, which is what we're trying to avoid. I'm no expert on this sort of stuff though, and if letting in 3.6's would move things along and not creat havoc, I'd be ok with it. I'll ping the POC guys. Or maybe one of them is reading and will comment...
As far as keeping costs down as example:

donor +70k mile 3.4 car $22k + new motor = $34k
donor +40k mile 3.6 car (no new motor necessary = sub $30k

And the used 3.6 is still better than the new 3.4 motor. Seems like a no brainer.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Has a suspension choice been decided on yet?

AST (big in the BMW track crowd) is about to release their dampers for the Porsche crowd which look promissing.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM
JC3D
Pro

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, that is the spec suspension. I have been waiting for a long time to buy it until they got the spec more finalized.

And camber will need to be adjusted with the control arms since camber plates don't look like they will be allowed.

So far there are 2 cars here, Doesn't anybody want to build more in SoCal?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that they are the same engine, just installed backwards in the Boxster, but I'm no expert.
- Well right off the top the 3.4 in the Boxster has VarioCam plus, the first gen 996 does not.

- The Boxster 3.4 uses the cylinder heads from the 3.6 (Mk I 996 does not).

- Boxster S compression ratio 11.1:1, 996 Mk I 11.3:1

- Their power outputs at the peaks look similar, but I'll bet the power under the curve is significantly different due to Vario Cam plus

I'm not an "expert" either, but a cursory look suggests there are some real differences in these motors

On a side note, I agree with everything you've said about keeping a spec very simple to keep costs down. However I disagree that it would be difficult to incorporate the 3.6 within a simple framework. Bolting lead weight to a 3.6 car would not be costly or difficult and it should be fairly easy to determine a fair weight penalty to carry. If down the road the weight decided on was too little or too much based on results, this could be easily adjusted at the start of the next season.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

...Bolting lead weight to a 3.6 car would not be costly or difficult and it should be fairly easy to determine a fair weight penalty to carry.
I prefer eating Krispy Creme donuts and drinking Coors by the case.

-td
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I should have kept my old 996, I already had the radiator and oiling kit.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
Yes, to the best of my knowledge, that is the spec suspension. I have been waiting for a long time to buy it until they got the spec more finalized.

And camber will need to be adjusted with the control arms since camber plates don't look like they will be allowed.

So far there are 2 cars here, Doesn't anybody want to build more in SoCal?

So AST will be the spec as a 1 or 2 way adjustable? If I read correctly the prelim specs allow GT3 rear toe links, GT3 2-pc lower control arms F&R, GT3 adjustable sways, no camber plates, no dog bones, no monoballs.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

In my conversations with the Spec guys in California, AST has never come up as an option. I don't know if they have added it to the list, but I've not heard anything about that being the only Spec shock.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

In my conversations with the Spec guys in California, AST has never come up as an option. I don't know if they have added it to the list, but I've not heard anything about that being the only Spec shock.
Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the decision has been made. Now I'll be generous and offer to take that JIC junk off your hands for $300.....
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe he was referencing what is already on his car (PSS10 w/ re-spring)? I wasn't quite clear on his response.

AST's would be cool. But it goes back to how much technology you really want in the suspension of a spec class car.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the decision has been made. Now I'll be generous and offer to take that JIC junk off your hands for $300.....
$300? Really? Wow, thank you so much! ;-)
Old 01-15-2009, 02:05 PM
TR6
Drifting

On a side note, I agree with everything you've said about keeping a spec very simple to keep costs down. However I disagree that it would be difficult to incorporate the 3.6 within a simple framework. Bolting lead weight to a 3.6 car would not be costly or difficult and it should be fairly easy to determine a fair weight penalty to carry. If down the road the weight decided on was too little or too much based on results, this could be easily adjusted at the start of the next season.
This is exactly the approach that spec miata takes. They run several generations of miata together each with different engine power outputs. They level the playing field by adding weight to the more powerful cars and/or changing the air intake configuration. For example, the 1.6 miatas can run aftermarket cold air intakes while the 1.8 miatas must run the oem air boxes and even restrictor plates. Of course there is still always debate about whether the playing field is really level or not. In fact, some of the 1.8 guys seem to feel they are handicapped too much to remain competitive with the 1.6 cars.

Last edited by TR6; 01-15-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
JC3D
Pro

Yes, that is going to be the spec coilover. I currently have row M030 with revalved bilstein HD (SOON TO BE FOR SALE) and I am ordering my PSS10 today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Would you build a 996 Spec?