Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges to be sold...converted to country club track

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008 | 07:52 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Default Nelson Ledges to be sold...converted to country club track

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33089

Gents: Thought this might be of interest to some of you here. Personally I've got mixed emotions over this. While Nelson is FAR from a world class facility it's got TONS of character, it's a blast to drive and you're hard pressed to find seat time cheaper anywhere. Open lapping days and test and tune days for $120 several times a month are absolute jems for those of us who have access to the track.

However, while I'm sure the cheap lapping days are going to be a thing of the past it will be interresting to see what the new ownership does with the facility. Maybe they'll make track revisions and we'll have another outstanding facility here in the Midwest.

Andy
Old 07-03-2008 | 07:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I have a business plan. I'm going to wait for all the new "driving clubs" to go belly up and then buy them for cents on the dollar and build a national network of tracks and offer a national membership that allows members to drive all the tracks. There will be blood.
Old 07-03-2008 | 08:11 PM
fire_n_ice
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I have a business plan. I'm going to wait for all the new "driving clubs" to go belly up and then buy them for cents on the dollar and build a national network of tracks and offer a national membership that allows members to drive all the tracks. There will be blood.
Sign me up for that! We might be waiting a while, though, as I understand some of them, such as Autobahn Country Club near Chicago, are doing quite well.
Old 07-03-2008 | 08:22 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

I toast your masterful plan with my milkshake.

No, you can't drink it.
Old 07-04-2008 | 01:34 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Nelson is one of the really fun tracks to drive but the place was a pit 20 years ago, I can't imagine it is any nicer today.
Phil
Old 07-04-2008 | 10:14 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

I love driving Nelson Ledges and always thought it had a lot of potential. When they say "everything will be new," that's a good thing. It is way overdue for an update.

Hopefully the new owners won't ruin the "character" of the track. I look forward to the change.
Old 07-04-2008 | 10:26 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Hey Chip,

I'm in agreement as long as we still can get access. Hope to see you next weekend at Putnam.

Ken
Old 07-04-2008 | 06:35 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Hard to believe it could be dramatically improved or turned into a country club. The paddock is primarily on the inside of the track so a major bridge construction would be due. There is not a ton of land outside the track either to build. Alos, there are houses across the street, like 100 yards away.
Certainly hope they redo the the track and improve the facilities though.
Old 07-04-2008 | 07:07 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Whatever happens - I wish them luck. Love that track - learned to race (slowly) there.
Old 07-05-2008 | 12:02 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

I hear (and I dont know how accurate this is) that the owner of the Discovery channel is the buyer. As far as I know, Nelson's is owned by a trust. The current operators have a long term lease. It could not be sold to them as the EPA or some other government entity would not allow a "sale" without a clean-up of all of the tires on site (estimated to be 2 million). I hear the cleanup is 2 million and the other number is 7 mil. I dont know if the 7 is the cost of the whole project or just the sale, I would think the whole project. Nelson's has always been known as the fastest 2 miles in America (lap record is 58 seconds in an Atlantic). If they fix the runoff and smooth it out it would be a terrific track.
Old 07-05-2008 | 11:36 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ayuh..... I'm with you.....remember the hoola hoop?
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:02 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great track,I learned to drive there(still learning) could use some saftey improvements. Can Ohio support two tracks ?
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:05 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Gregg;
The area has been able to support the two tracks (and added Beaverun) for decades now - I don't see that changing.
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:45 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Maybe it will take some pressure off the Mid Ohio schedule. If I had the choice between Nelson Ledges on the weekend and Mid-O on a Monday/Tuesday (like we have scheduled in Aug), I'd drive the extra hour to NL - even without the upgrades.
Old 07-06-2008 | 07:40 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

I agree Sean. So far this year the attendance has been way down for DE events.

Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges to be sold...converted to country club track