Sponsored by:

lost control turn 17 at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Yes, his hands are definitely at 8 oclock. watch it again its pretty obvious. Just before turn 17, he cheats down to below the cross member of the wheel. If 9 is the crossmember, he is at 8. Then, the right hand goes a hand or so above where normally would be 10. (I call it 1clock).

So, No, nothing like what Chris is doing. He is not really doing anything wrong. Cheating up on the right hand after a shift, doesnt do any of the things I'm talking about. I think you will notice in my video from this weekend, i have a post shift grab in the same area. However, if he was to grab the wheel at 4oclock, I might have a comment, but that would never happen. Raising the hands only desensitizes the input. Only shifting lower does it cause a concern. Plus, the dominant hand is the left hand which really is the side your brain equates to neutral in my opinion. Notice, his left hand is locked at the cross structure around 9 or 10oclock-ish.

Mk
Mark, Bryan, thanks for all the insite, I am trying to assimilate it!!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by FLA997; 07-02-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: misc
Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

[QUOTE=Bryan Watts;
I still don't know why you harp on 10-2 so much when your videos in your own signature show you with some of the most non-standard hand positioning I've ever seen in a race car. [/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/v/Sih48Dby9d0

Why dont you ask Chris what it takes to run in the 1:38s in a 21 year old porsche with a set of headers as its only engine performance mod, on 20+ heatcycle DOTs.

Last edited by mark kibort; 07-01-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously not the video I'm referencing...but thanks for posting it since it demonstrates that you actually change your grip and your hand positioning from 2 to 3 in the really tight T1.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool *** video, but forgetting hand position; you've got to be kidding us with that key chain bouncing on your leg....
Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Kind of tough to grab the wheel at 3 anyway, due to the kind of wheel it is. But, whatever you say! Hey, and I did those laps, especially for you Bryan. I even had a que card to tee up the mid laps for the video , but it fell to the floor.
Hands are always on the little bumps on the steering wheel near 2-3 . Lets just say, the upper part of the side of the steering wheel .

Mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Obviously not the video I'm referencing...but thanks for posting it since it demonstrates that you actually change your grip and your hand positioning from 2 to 3 in the really tight T1.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thats my good luck charm! Hey, its a street car. still driven to the track, both ways, 101 race days later!!!

Mk

Originally Posted by gums
Cool *** video, but forgetting hand position; you've got to be kidding us with that key chain bouncing on your leg....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Hands are always on the little bumps on the steering wheel near 2-3 . Lets just say, the upper part of the side of the steering wheel .
You mean a few degrees doesn't cause you to spin and crash? How did you ever get the car pointed back straight after the turn?

you dont get it. its instinct to be thinking that neutral is 10 and 2. If you are off by even a few degrees, this inhibits you natural ability to know where 0 is and to what degree you are applying steering input.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Funny! So, let me clarify. I think cheating down a hand distance (near 20 degrees like the video had shown, can cause a problem. cheating up is not really an issue, as it actually desensitizes the input. The dominant hand is usually the left, unless you are driving a right hand drive car. So, yes, its not a few degrees, its more like 20-40 that can cause issues. Its not going to be so much of an issue for a seasoned driver, but starting out, its a good habit to break (early) . I can remember watching the Evo boy and his 550hp 4x4 run around the track when he first started racing. His hand movements seem to be much of the issue in car control. However, he drove around it and was able to click off a fast lap. However, when he got into traffic, or had to make an evasive move, his hands caused some control issues. This is really the point.

Mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You mean a few degrees doesn't cause you to spin and crash? How did you ever get the car pointed back straight after the turn?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it's more important that your steering wheel holds on than where you hold it.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now [I]that's[I] a save!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Now that's a save!
NO SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn Larry that video was funny...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That was funny. What do you bet he soiled his driver suit?

Wasnt there a World Challenge Touring car that had that happen as well?

Well the good news there was that the car was pointed straight. If he couldnt get the wheel back on, he might have been able to stop before the corkscrew. Anywhere else, that might have been ugly!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I think that it's more important that your steering wheel holds on than where you hold it.
Nice! I had that happen at VIR in my first race car during a practice session...I went off the outside of the turn into the grass with the wheel in my hands. As I'm spinning sideways, I was able to pop the wheel back on and steer away from the tire wall enough to get back out on track without any damage. Not nearly as cool as popping the wheel back on without missing a beat!

Quick Reply: lost control turn 17 at Sebring