Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost control turn 17 at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never driven that track ( but would like to) ... seams to be a untimely bump with slight pinch of wheel... great correction on your part... so i am siding with dr jupe..

i dont know why your hand position would impact the the incident .. but that is just me... ditto to the statement of Bryan Watts... i dont think that cased the slide
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably has something to do with the style that you picked up from the AWD. I'm sure that you would not have gotten as much of a step-out with the AWD even under power, and once you did a "correction lift" you didn't get back on the power to keep the weight on the back. RWD 911s need to keep the weight shifted to the back. Any lift must be momentary, and then back on the gas before the car realizes that you did it.

Otherwise, how did you like the conversion?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It probably has something to do with the style that you picked up from the AWD. I'm sure that you would not have gotten as much of a step-out with the AWD even under power, and once you did a "correction lift" you didn't get back on the power to keep the weight on the back. RWD 911s need to keep the weight shifted to the back. Any lift must be momentary, and then back on the gas before the car realizes that you did it.

Otherwise, how did you like the conversion?

I'm with Larry on this one. Go attend a drifting practise, that's what I did with my GT3 after my first spin at Moroso.
It really helped me to learn the dynamics of the RWD 911 on and beyond the limit and have yet to sping again (knocks on wood...)
It maybe not be the best sport out there but it certainly teaches you car control

Glad you were able to save it!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm with DrJupe on this one too. From memory the biggest bump on that turn that really upsets the car was much earlier. At the point where you get close to the grass on your right, that is the time to start letting the car track out and unwind the wheel. While there are many lines in this turn I remember the "DE" line is the one you took and the corner by the grass is your hypothetical final apex of the corner. If you look at your video you are still turning the car past that point, while accelerating on throttle...
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

tracking out earlier might have prevented that but you did a good job catching it without having it swing back across or hit any of the other cars or walls. good little tank slap with no consequences.

how did turn 17 treat you the rest of the day?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Watch the wheel and listen to the engine note. The wheel was pointed straight and the revs were rising at the moment of spin. That sure looks like power oversteer to me, which makes sense in a 600hp modified turbo. I think the bumps reduced the rear traction and you got on the gas a bit too hard, starting the spin. You may have been able to just countersteer, but you also lifted as you got into the correction, making it more dramatic than it probably could have been (easy to say now). As Larry said, it probably would not have been an issue in the AWD setup, and you're going to have to relearn to drive in RWD mode mode a bit now.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looked to me like a little of a pinch/momentary change of focus with the other cars pitting. Doesn't look like a 2wd/4wd thing. I had a similar exp (w 993T 4wd that resulted from a pinch/loss of grip from worn tires) at the Glen recently

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71779912&hl=en
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cant thank you guys enough for all the great comments I have learned alot and got alot to think about.

I love the RWD with the LSD and continue to get pro coaching (other than you guys).

will be there all weekend again, hope I have no vids to share!!

thanks again.

tom
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Even with the tight line, I think TK would have cleared the 2 cars off to the right just fine.

I'm with Jupe... tight line with a bad luck bounce.

Nice no drama catch, Tom!

BTW, what the heck is Turbostan running for him to pull on you like that in the beginning of the clip?
his car has about 520hp but I had my boost turned down since it was my first RWD outing.

and must admit drove several hundred miles that weekend and that was the only excitement.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with most of the comments but also wondering if you modified your setup for the rwd conversion? Most awd owners work hard to dial out understeer which, if left unchanged, might actually be a bit too loose for the new, rwd layout.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point Joey.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Number one, good job on the recovery, you stayed pretty much in the middle of the turn, I don't think you even got that close to the tire barrier and wall. You certainly didn't get as close as you would under a normal track out after going through 17. We were usually right out to the tires on exit. Second, I think the car was really upset by the washboarding in good old Sunset, which is the majority of the cause for the tail hopping out on you. I've been through there before and I swear all four wheels were off the ground and I was just letting Sir Issac Newton drive (or "fly") when that happened. If you lifted at all, it was not noticeable in the audio. I would also hope you weren't trail braking or otherwise touching the brake, as you were way beyond the apex and should have been feeding in the power big-time by that point. Third, as a contributing factor you were concerned about the car you were overtaking and trying to give him room and then you got distracted by the two cars on pit-in, which as someone already stated, I don't think were in your way at all. All of that distracted you enough to where you pinched the car, not letting it run free on-line through the corner, and you were distracted enough to not correct quick enough to prevent the slide. Overall though, you looked pretty smooth.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Agree with most of the comments but also wondering if you modified your setup for the rwd conversion? Most awd owners work hard to dial out understeer which, if left unchanged, might actually be a bit too loose for the new, rwd layout.
+1
Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Tom,

I'm with Colin, looks a little tight, then those famous bumps along with the turbo probably just kicking in full boost. Ahhh the joys of driving a RWD turbo, I remember it well from the days in my 500hp 930S
Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Tom had his car set up by a professional Porsche racing facility.

The inside on 17 is really bumpy even for my soft stock 997S. I have now moved out of the inside of 17 by at least a car length at the suggestion of Viper Bob ( Bob @ Vortex) and it is smoother.

I think with Tom's stiff suspension and more power the bumps on the inside of 17 caused the rear to kick out.

Quick Reply: lost control turn 17 at Sebring