lost control turn 17 at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMFAO...lather rinse repeat!

Tom...Holy Code Brown Moment, Batman!! Wow, helluva nice, clean, calm save.

What did your passenger do on your switch panel right before your spin??? Did he turn something off or on?

To me, the sound indicated that--as is human--your foot came on & off the throttle rapidly as the frequency of the bumps pushed the floorboard up to your feet. It also sounded as if the rear was VERY stiff, considering how dramatic sounding the on/off was. Sounded as if it happened to be "off" at the split second the rear got light over a bump, making it very unsettled, whereupon when it got back "on" again, and the turbo came on, around she went.
pretty much got it right VR!! thanks for your comments
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Yeah, and you're a douche on this thread too

Well I'm glad someone finally said it, it was this thread of me and my expensive car driving with no experience that prompted "gums" thread, which certainly comes off, as rude, obnoxious, and arrogant.
Now I dont know him personally and I am sure he is a great guy, but the thread he started certainly insulted alot of people and if Porsche NA heard his thoughts on the subject no one would ever take a new Porsche to the track and learn to drive or enjoy it at all.

and changing an avitar daily and adding racing pics aint going to give anyone any street credit last time I checked!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
That's silly...at no point were his hands in a position that caused him to have less control over the car. With his hand placement, he had MORE than enough room to make the needed correction (and actually did a pretty good job of collecting the car without spinning or shooting back to the inside). Are you saying that you can actually see the amount of feedback he's getting through the wheel and that that feedback is somehow very different because his hands are 1-2 inches from the 10-2 positions? How do you do that?

I still don't know why you harp on 10-2 so much when your videos in your own signature show you with some of the most non-standard hand positioning I've ever seen in a race car.
Watts, who let you in over here to stir up trouble... (just promise not to rat me out to the bf.c guys... )
Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Watts, who let you in over here to stir up trouble... (just promise not to rat me out to the bf.c guys... )
What the hell is going on here this week?

Newbie, he's been here for quite a while and if you will do a little homework, you'll find that he is an experienced racer with good advice in a constructive manner. Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
What the hell is going on here this week?

Newbie, he's been here for quite a while and if you will do a little homework, you'll find that he is an experienced racer with good advice in a constructive manner. Welcome to Rennlist!
Homework not needed, I've known Bryan for several years from another forum, I'm just busting his chops a little... he's not really delicate with words! (neither am I, come to think of it).

and thanks for the welcome, hopefully this will be my new "home" forum by this time next year...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Homework not needed, I've known Bryan for several years from another forum, I'm just busting his chops a little... he's not really delicate with words! (neither am I, come to think of it).

and thanks for the welcome, hopefully this will be my new "home" forum by this time next year...
great, welcome, good advise always welcome.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

he's not really delicate with words!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Watts, who let you in over here to stir up trouble...
As little as I seem to be able to make it to the track these days, I've gotta do something to keep from getting bored. If you're not racing, bench racing is the next best thing.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
great, welcome, good advise always welcome.
Good advise is always welcome. We'll see if "Dark Helmet" is able to offer any.

Bryan, did you say Bench Racing?
Attached Images  
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
As little as I seem to be able to make it to the track these days, I've gotta do something to keep from getting bored. If you're not racing, bench racing is the next best thing.
werd...

I've been to the track all of ONCE this year...

and i did this... (at the end of the clip).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EptZVNnjaYs

oops (first time on track w/ new E30 track rat, new track, imperfect concentration...)
Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

Bryan, did you say Bench Racing?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to the track all of ONCE this year...

and i did this... (at the end of the clip).
Most people prefer to drive into the pit lane rather than broadslide into it!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Most people prefer to drive into the pit lane rather than broadslide into it!
quite aware of that... my instructor (from Bimmerhaus in Denver) said something to the effect of "eh... not really my first choice for a pit-in maneuver, but, ah, no blood no foul eh???"

this is a couple laps after he spent the entire stretch from T13 (onto main straight) through 4 (two more big straights) making engine noises....... "wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..."

its got twin glasspacks on a 2.7L single cam motor... sounds like a healthy small block ford...

later, he referred to it as "premature ejection"
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
RS stop
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soften the rear swaybar

Tom,
I would adjust the rear sway bar softer by one hole. That looks like classic 911 oversteer. I think you need to drive the car more, preferably at a slower track where you can get it to the limit with less risk to confirm this.
This will allow more rear roll and weight transfer to the rear wheel that now has to transmit all that power. 4 wheel drive is too easy!
BTW, great save! You hit the bump at the worst spot, and I think your pinching the track-out to get an early pass were contributors, but still you want the rear stick better than that.
Lyn
91 C2 RS Clone
Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS stop
Tom,
I would adjust the rear sway bar softer by one hole. That looks like classic 911 oversteer. I think you need to drive the car more, preferably at a slower track where you can get it to the limit with less risk to confirm this.
This will allow more rear roll and weight transfer to the rear wheel that now has to transmit all that power. 4 wheel drive is too easy!
BTW, great save! You hit the bump at the worst spot, and I think your pinching the track-out to get an early pass were contributors, but still you want the rear stick better than that.
Lyn
91 C2 RS Clone
thanks Lyn I will talk to Bob

Quick Reply: lost control turn 17 at Sebring