Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 951 platform still competitive and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

When you put in the stroker crank into the porsche 928(the 928 perf. mod of choice, alternative to boost) and it clocks off times of 1:39.9 at Sears and 1:30.8 at Laguna. Another 20 year old car with a lot of mods.

There is no older faster or cheaper race car (with its original unmodd'ed engine) than the porsche 928, even for cars 5-10 years newer.

mk - top budget racer

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Wow. A 1:55 at the Glen in a 20 year old platform is remarkable. The Z06 may be the better bang for the buck, but for sheer longevity of a platform, the 944 has it beat.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Wanna guess how much $$$ he has in that car?
With or without the cost of the Jon Milledge motor?!?

Yeah, I have a decent idea how much $$ he's got in the car & motor...

-Z
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

What is the cost of a JM motor? how much would this car cost to make?

1:57.7 was his best time and it was in GT2R not GT3S. Still fast, but there were some other hardware out there that was faster.

World Challenge GT front runners were in the 1:57s but thats on DOTs and running it almost every lap for an hour or so.

mk

Originally Posted by Z-man
With or without the cost of the Jon Milledge motor?!?

Yeah, I have a decent idea how much $$ he's got in the car & motor...

-Z
Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
That wouldn't be Roy Chong and his 951 beast, would it?!?

His fastest at the Clash at the Glen was a 1:57.775. He runs in GT2R. That's SMOKIN' fast.

-Z

Z Man,

Actually Roy ran a 1:55.8 in the enduro at the Clash (ya, that's smokin' all right). I stand corrected on the class in which he runs ...

Scott
Old 06-19-2008, 03:18 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

There is a group of 951-based GT cars that are extremely impressive. Obviously, Roy Chong's is one. There are others, and here's one example:

The race car you are looking at is the fourth and final 944 Turbo built by Worldwide Motorsports. It started life as a 1987 Porsche 944. The tub was stripped and acid dipped. It was then fixtured to our in house surface plate, the floor and firewall were removed and a complete tube chassis was fabricated inside the remaining tub. It was then painstakingly assembled with the best components available. Many of the parts on this car are one off pieces made by some of the most respected names in the racing industry. No expense was spared in building this car! This car currently holds lap records at Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen. Car has PCA and SCCA log books.

Chassis:

Full tube frame with removable tubular front clip (shock towers forward)

1.5x.095 DOM cage with NASCAR Door bars, Tilton Pedals with remote reservoir and brake bias adjuster, Momo steering wheel with integral push to talk for radio, Sweet quick release steering wheel coupler, Borgeson collapsible steering shaft, Kirkey Deluxe Road Race seat, Removable firewall and transmission tunnel. Many other tricks as well.

Body:

One of a kind Carbon fiber IMSA/Trans-Am style clam shell nose and Front splitter/under tray by Crawford Composites (we own the molds). Fiberglass door skins, Rear quarters and Rear bumper with extensive modifications. Carbon fiber Crawford rear wing. All Lexan Glass.

Roof drip edges filled and radiused. Many other tricks here as well.

Front Suspension:

Bilstein Coil-over Strut, All pick-up points converted to Spherical bearings. Billet Aluminum, Center Lock, Pin Drive Front uprights with huge Double Row bearings by Fabcar Engineering (we own rights and drawings). Billet Aluminum front lower control arms, Porsche 944 turbo cup car steering rack with spherical bearing tie rods mounted in double shear. Ferrari F50 Brembo calipers with aluminum brake hats and floating rotors. 17x 11 3 piece BBS wheels

Rear Suspension:

Bilstein Rear coil over shocks, all pick-up points converted to Spherical Bearing. Fabricated rear torsion tube with Billet Aluminum caster/camber adjusters. 996 twin turbo rear calipers with aluminum brake hats and floating rotors 17 x 11 ½, 3 piece BBS wheels

Engine:

500+ hp 2.5L 4 cyl. Turbo. Motec M4 engine management and Data Acquisition, Dry sump oiling system, Carrillo Rods, JE Pistons, rotating assy. Balanced, Dual Ceramic ball bearing turbo, hand built 321 Stainless Steel equal length header and merge collector with Tial waste gate, All internal engine parts coated by Swain Coatings. Block converted to Steel sleeves, Cylinder head and block o-ringed, Fidanza Alum. Flywheel, ARP Studs everywhere. 944 NA cylinder head with extensive porting and flow testing. Carbon Fiber Barrel Valve intake by Jon Milledge Engineering.

Transmission:

968 speed with Guard Transmission Race limited slip differential. Set up for Trans cooling. Hand polished CV joints. Custom shift rod and arm, Custom Trans mount and cross member.

Fuel System:

Custom 22 gal. Dual sump check ball collector fuel cell by Fuel Safe, remote roll-over valve, Stainless AN lines and fittings, electronic fuel level gage (that actually works), Billet aluminum Aeromotive fuel pump and filter.

Misc

Motec Data Acquisition dash and LED shift light, with lap timer and beacon
Torque tube mounted mini alternator
ARC touch pad control switches with built in circuit breakers
10 # Phoenix Halon fire system
AMB transponder
2 complete exhaust systems from Turbo back (1 with Muffler)
Spares Included with sale of car
1 complete fresh 2.5L engine exactly the same as the engine in car
1 spare header with Tial waste gate
1 complete Motec M4 engine management system with engine and car harness
1 968 gearbox fresh same as in car
1 set of drive axles
1 Complete set of Pin Drive Center Lock billet aluminum front uprights and hubs
1 Complete set of Pin Drive Center Lock Rear control arms and hubs
All suspension tools and service parts (nuts, bolts, spare drive pins etc.)
1 Set of Billet Aluminum Front lower control arms
1 Set of Front Rotors (1 L 1 R)
1 Nose
1 Front bumper
1 Front splitter
1Left and 1 Right front fender quarter
1Left Rear Quarter Panel
1 set of wing brackets
3 carbon Gurney lips for wing
1 set of Carbon Brake ducts
2 complete sets of BBS wheels
2 Radiators
1 Intercooler
1 Windshield

Porsche 944 turbo PCA GT 3 race car, fresh 500+Hp 2.5L Carbon Barrel valve intake, Motec M4 ECU and data acquisition dash, 6 speed, Crawford Composites body and wing., Billet Alum uprights . Center lock wheels. Full cage with NASCAR style door bars.3 sets of BBS wheels, spare engine and gearbox Huge spares package. Lap records @ Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. PCA and SCCA log books.

This car was bought last year by one of our local shops, and ran the Barber MSP Club race last year in GT3S. First in class, and third overall behind an 02 GT3RS and an 07 GT3Cup. These exotics really turn in some impressive results.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your original question are 951's competitive? It all depends on the classing. They make fine race cars to be sure, but rules will play a big role how far up the order they could be.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

To run with SCCA, ( I noticed the ITE class decal) they wont let you run with 1.5" DOM tubing. has to be 1.75x..095" tubing. Looks like its stuck in PCA racing, unless you slip by tech. out here, it might get a one weekend pass.

Pretty impressive list of modifications.
Its a beautiful project car, but certainly NOT any bargain for the builder/owner.

I think the point here is, can a 951 still be competitive, and sure, with enough money, anything can be competitive. If budget is the concern, i think there are faster cheaper platforms out there at all levels of performance. However, from what ive seen, certainly the 951 is a strong competitor with some mods.

mk

Originally Posted by APKhaos
There is a group of 951-based GT cars that are extremely impressive. Obviously, Roy Chong's is one. There are others, and here's one example:

The race car you are looking at is the fourth and final 944 Turbo built by Worldwide Motorsports. It started life as a 1987 Porsche 944. The tub was stripped and acid dipped. It was then fixtured to our in house surface plate, the floor and firewall were removed and a complete tube chassis was fabricated inside the remaining tub. It was then painstakingly assembled with the best components available. Many of the parts on this car are one off pieces made by some of the most respected names in the racing industry. No expense was spared in building this car! This car currently holds lap records at Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen. Car has PCA and SCCA log books.

Chassis:

Full tube frame with removable tubular front clip (shock towers forward)

1.5x.095 DOM cage with NASCAR Door bars, Tilton Pedals with remote reservoir and brake bias adjuster, Momo steering wheel with integral push to talk for radio, Sweet quick release steering wheel coupler, Borgeson collapsible steering shaft, Kirkey Deluxe Road Race seat, Removable firewall and transmission tunnel. Many other tricks as well.

Body:

One of a kind Carbon fiber IMSA/Trans-Am style clam shell nose and Front splitter/under tray by Crawford Composites (we own the molds). Fiberglass door skins, Rear quarters and Rear bumper with extensive modifications. Carbon fiber Crawford rear wing. All Lexan Glass.

Roof drip edges filled and radiused. Many other tricks here as well.

Front Suspension:

Bilstein Coil-over Strut, All pick-up points converted to Spherical bearings. Billet Aluminum, Center Lock, Pin Drive Front uprights with huge Double Row bearings by Fabcar Engineering (we own rights and drawings). Billet Aluminum front lower control arms, Porsche 944 turbo cup car steering rack with spherical bearing tie rods mounted in double shear. Ferrari F50 Brembo calipers with aluminum brake hats and floating rotors. 17x 11 3 piece BBS wheels

Rear Suspension:

Bilstein Rear coil over shocks, all pick-up points converted to Spherical Bearing. Fabricated rear torsion tube with Billet Aluminum caster/camber adjusters. 996 twin turbo rear calipers with aluminum brake hats and floating rotors 17 x 11 ½, 3 piece BBS wheels

Engine:

500+ hp 2.5L 4 cyl. Turbo. Motec M4 engine management and Data Acquisition, Dry sump oiling system, Carrillo Rods, JE Pistons, rotating assy. Balanced, Dual Ceramic ball bearing turbo, hand built 321 Stainless Steel equal length header and merge collector with Tial waste gate, All internal engine parts coated by Swain Coatings. Block converted to Steel sleeves, Cylinder head and block o-ringed, Fidanza Alum. Flywheel, ARP Studs everywhere. 944 NA cylinder head with extensive porting and flow testing. Carbon Fiber Barrel Valve intake by Jon Milledge Engineering.

Transmission:

968 speed with Guard Transmission Race limited slip differential. Set up for Trans cooling. Hand polished CV joints. Custom shift rod and arm, Custom Trans mount and cross member.

Fuel System:

Custom 22 gal. Dual sump check ball collector fuel cell by Fuel Safe, remote roll-over valve, Stainless AN lines and fittings, electronic fuel level gage (that actually works), Billet aluminum Aeromotive fuel pump and filter.

Misc

Motec Data Acquisition dash and LED shift light, with lap timer and beacon
Torque tube mounted mini alternator
ARC touch pad control switches with built in circuit breakers
10 # Phoenix Halon fire system
AMB transponder
2 complete exhaust systems from Turbo back (1 with Muffler)
Spares Included with sale of car
1 complete fresh 2.5L engine exactly the same as the engine in car
1 spare header with Tial waste gate
1 complete Motec M4 engine management system with engine and car harness
1 968 gearbox fresh same as in car
1 set of drive axles
1 Complete set of Pin Drive Center Lock billet aluminum front uprights and hubs
1 Complete set of Pin Drive Center Lock Rear control arms and hubs
All suspension tools and service parts (nuts, bolts, spare drive pins etc.)
1 Set of Billet Aluminum Front lower control arms
1 Set of Front Rotors (1 L 1 R)
1 Nose
1 Front bumper
1 Front splitter
1Left and 1 Right front fender quarter
1Left Rear Quarter Panel
1 set of wing brackets
3 carbon Gurney lips for wing
1 set of Carbon Brake ducts
2 complete sets of BBS wheels
2 Radiators
1 Intercooler
1 Windshield

Porsche 944 turbo PCA GT 3 race car, fresh 500+Hp 2.5L Carbon Barrel valve intake, Motec M4 ECU and data acquisition dash, 6 speed, Crawford Composites body and wing., Billet Alum uprights . Center lock wheels. Full cage with NASCAR style door bars.3 sets of BBS wheels, spare engine and gearbox Huge spares package. Lap records @ Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. PCA and SCCA log books.

This car was bought last year by one of our local shops, and ran the Barber MSP Club race last year in GT3S. First in class, and third overall behind an 02 GT3RS and an 07 GT3Cup. These exotics really turn in some impressive results.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
What is the cost of a JM motor? how much would this car cost to make?

1:57.7 was his best time and it was in GT2R not GT3S. Still fast, but there were some other hardware out there that was faster.

World Challenge GT front runners were in the 1:57s but thats on DOTs and running it almost every lap for an hour or so.

mk

THAT, my friend, is the big secret. It can probably be answered by the age old saying, if you have to ask...

The price of just the CF ITB intake is ~$5500 though, take it from there.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Porsche thing is important to many of us, but the fact is that there are some killer values in other marques. I may be excommunicated for that comment, eh?
Not excommunicated, but the word is some of the PCA Potomac past presidents are planning an exorcism rite on you at the Watkins Glen DE event...

Last edited by Renn 951; 06-19-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

mk
Mark ,
not a good comparison , comparing Roy to pro drivers , I'm sure Roy's car would run at least 2-3 seconds faster with a pro driver at the Glen ....1:53 seems pretty reasonable for the Power level of his car with a Pro driver .......
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Mike S.
Pro

The race car you are looking at is the fourth and final 944 Turbo built by Worldwide Motorsports.
Tony,

Do you know if one of the other 4 cars belonged to Stephen Savino whom I saw race at the Glen in the earlier 2000's? He ran 1:56 there/then.

Mike
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Mike, yes, Steve's car is a sister car to that.

Last I saw it was at Friday practice @ Clash '06. I believe he suffered a mechanical failure though as he did not race. I know Scott Gomes at Under Pressure Performance was working on the car this past winter from a post he made elsewhere.

(Sorry for the pic leh! )
Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I met Roy Chong, Jon Milledge and his car by mistake. I kinda figured it was them. It happened because my dad is too social for his own good at times, as people here already know. This was at 48 hours of Sebring a few years back.

The 951 is a good DE car if you build it yourself. I couldn't fathom racing one. That would be, in a word, a gigantic nightmare.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
The 951 is a good DE car if you build it yourself. I couldn't fathom racing one. That would be, in a word, a gigantic nightmare.
Hang on a minute. Lets get some clarity here......

The 951 exotics like the Chong car and the Woldwide Motorsports cars are just that - exotics. No doubt they take some serious effort and some serious cash to develop and run.

The stock 951, in PCA Stock class racing, NASA 944SuperCup etc is a very different story. Mine ran hard at the front of the pack over two 14 race 944SuperCup series without a single DNF, and without anything but routine stuff between races.

These cars get a bad rap because guys take street cars with 150K miles on the clock and take them on the track without refreshing them carefully. Now that is the setup for a nightmare, for sure.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by MPD47
Mike, yes, Steve's car is a sister car to that.
]
Last I saw it was at Friday practice @ Clash '06. I believe he suffered a mechanical failure though as he did not race. I know Scott Gomes at Under Pressure Performance was working on the car this past winter from a post he made elsewhere.

(Sorry for the pic leh! )
Thanks Mike...I saw a triple set of hood louvers on the car Tony posted as well as on a pic I found of Stephen Savino's...that got me thinking.

Mike

Quick Reply: Is the 951 platform still competitive and why?