Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of my wreck at the Glen race

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

looks like the red car on the right caused your series of hits. without him, you should have got through clean.

mk
Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

is it possible from the red 44's vantage point that the spins ahead were out of view? I am guessing he was in your blind spot or just behind all along and tried to underpass when you slowed, not knowing what was going on
Old 06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

John -

I was looking at that great cage you built and tossing around the best way to get it out of that car and into another. I doubt cutting/butt welding would be a safe option, would you use short sleeves over a joint? Would you not do it at all? I'm thinking off with the roof and go from there..
Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sean - Just went and looked at the car more closely, sorry to say it's done. Time to start looking for an SC with a blown engine, etc. like I did and swap A to B..
Really?......

Sorry Sean.......
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
is it possible from the red 44's vantage point that the spins ahead were out of view? I am guessing he was in your blind spot or just behind all along and tried to underpass when you slowed, not knowing what was going on
No. The smoke alone (and where it was) was a dead giveaway that it was time to SLOW DOWN. I was 5-6 cars back from them and no one around me (or the 50 behind me) had a problem.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What the F#$@ was the 944 guy that tagged you thinking????
Was he blind?
You have the right to be pissed.....

But more importantly, I am glad you are OK......
It would be interesting to hear the red 944 guy's story. From what I could see in the video, he was in the grass when he hit Sean. Also, Sean slowed up quite a bit compared to the car in front of him (I'm not saying this was incorrect, just the fact of what happened).

For all we know, some guy on the 944's driver's side might have swerved right to avoid hitting the yellow car. The 944 guy may have drove into the grass to avoid being sideswiped. Then, when Sean slowed down, the 944 guy might not have been able to stop in time.

Then again, maybe he just wasn't thinking clearly... Hard to say without video footage. I'd guess that somebody on this board has footage of it.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
John -

I was looking at that great cage you built and tossing around the best way to get it out of that car and into another. I doubt cutting/butt welding would be a safe option, would you use short sleeves over a joint? Would you not do it at all? I'm thinking off with the roof and go from there..

I was thinking the same thing

BTW John, everything you built passed with flying colors. The safety system worked exactly to plan. It was a big hit and everything held.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a re-body project, including moving a very nicely made cage into the new body. It went in perfectly. No surprise that I learned a few lessons on the way. Sean - just email if you want to discuss this - don't want to clutter up this thread.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I will preface my remarks by saying that I don't get too excited by mangled metal. Familiarity breeds comfort! most people get spooked. It doesn't phase me in the slightest.

These are tough situations. It comes down to dollars & cents, i.e. can you repair what you have for equal or less than you have invested? We have a good bit of coin in that car already, eh? If we assume that the same amount will be spent to recreate it, this should significantly alter the thinking.

Early 911s have a pretty soft front unibody. It folds up pretty easy. I am totally guessing from afar here, but given the previous fact, and the fact that a substantial cage such as this one has will greatly reinforce the passenger compartment, might lead me to speculate that the damage was mostly contained in the front unibody.

If this is indeed the case, I would strongly consider clipping it. The investment in the latter 2/3rds of the chassis is substantial. Possibly too much so to toss it for what is essentially "throw-away" sheetmetal.

The place you want to really look for damage is in the pillars, cowl, and center tunnel. First question, do the doors open normally? Second, is the windshield broken?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Drivers door won't open. Cowl is creased on left side. Windshield is intact. Tunnel is okay. Drivers foot well is buckled
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Sean,

Wow. That video tells the sad tale. Glad you are OK. Thats the most important thing. In looking at your car at the track, time to think about a new tub. You were unlucky, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the bright side, you drove great all weekend, and take pride in your first place in sprint 1, and your heads up driving all weekend.

I know you'll be back!

JL
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Hey Sean,

Wow. That video tells the sad tale. Glad you are OK. Thats the most important thing. In looking at your car at the track, time to think about a new tub. You were unlucky, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the bright side, you drove great all weekend, and take pride in your first place in sprint 1, and your heads up driving all weekend.

I know you'll be back!

JL
He BETTER be! Now that I know WHY I was so pokey he and Fred better plan on there being a 3rd Hairy Dog musketeer up there in front from now on!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
alprus
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean,

Sorry to hear about your car. Joel just sent me the video. I saw you run your car at Lime Rock a few weeks back and it looked great.

What they hell was the red 944 driver thinking? Seriously.

Hope you get on the track again soon,
Adam
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn, I have been in your shoes and shades of anger creep back. Not fun. Like Derek Bell once said"
In racing always assume the other drivers are bloody idiots". There is at least one in your video.
Just dont freaking get it, where is the head's up driving? Aren't we all supposed to be 'trained" in that? 13/13's sometimes are not enough, there should be back to DE's and no license for you buddy (the red 944 guy).
Good luck with repairing your car.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Drivers door won't open. Cowl is creased on left side. Windshield is intact. Tunnel is okay. Drivers foot well is buckled
I'm right with JH on this one. Its hard to over estimate the time and effort involved in moving all your bits onto a new body. If its possible to repair you tub economically, and achive a straight tub with full original structural integrity, then do it.

Mine was just over the edge of beign economically repairable, with the structural integrity issue being the primary concern. Having gone the new body route, I've got a perfectly straight and unmolested tub. Aligning it was a dream!
However, its a big project:

Step 1: Completely dissemble TWO cars.
Step 2: Rebuild/refresh everything from the donor that's going into the new car.
etc.....

My punch list for the things that needed to be done once the drive train and suspension was moved into the new body is scary long, and still not all finished.

Quick Reply: Video of my wreck at the Glen race