Sponsored by:

Best oil for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Staunton944

About the red cap vs gold cap thing, that you heard. A friend gave me the latest 3 copies of Christophorus (The German Porsche magazine) There is a Porsche ad inside one of them that shows the oil Porsche recommends, and it is gold capped Mobil 1. I can assure you that Porsche would not recommend bad oil.

I have used Mobil 1 exclusively in 944's 911, and Boxter cars. I wouldn't use Castrol because of their awful "sludge" ads. But I agree that logic makes no real sense.

Speaking of Castrol, does anyone remember their Castrol R Bean oil. Really smelled neat, but gummed the heck out of engines. Of course, that is where the name Castrol came from, Castor Oil shortened.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
1999 Honda Civic SI Race Car
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, Redline just came out with a four stroke motorcycle specific oil that sounds interesting........

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...?categoryID=11

G.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It is very difficult to beat Redline oils (both street and low detergent race versions) in racing conditions. They are ester based and can withstand very high temps. They also have a very high film strength. I am not associated with Redline in any way, just a long term user of the products.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I think, for the most part, oil is oil, and i certainly dont think a corporate marketing agreement holds any merit for the quality of the oil they recomend. the porsche engine is so well desiged, you probably could run Wesson oil and it would last 100k miles. BUT when racing, foaming, shear qualites, viscosity, all change and could be a problem. One of the things ive seen, is a huge drop in oil pressure with mobil 1. something dramatically different when using the same weight of Amsoil racing oil. that enough is reason to stay away from it.
Plus, again, hard to argue with my racing sucess of a 22 year old engine, with 100 racing hours on it, 6 full racing seasons, and lots of street miles. (with a car that usually has engine failures when using mobil 1 in racing conditions)

mk

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Staunton944

About the red cap vs gold cap thing, that you heard. A friend gave me the latest 3 copies of Christophorus (The German Porsche magazine) There is a Porsche ad inside one of them that shows the oil Porsche recommends, and it is gold capped Mobil 1. I can assure you that Porsche would not recommend bad oil.

I have used Mobil 1 exclusively in 944's 911, and Boxter cars. I wouldn't use Castrol because of their awful "sludge" ads. But I agree that logic makes no real sense.

Speaking of Castrol, does anyone remember their Castrol R Bean oil. Really smelled neat, but gummed the heck out of engines. Of course, that is where the name Castrol came from, Castor Oil shortened.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
1999 Honda Civic SI Race Car
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

+ whatever for Redline. I stopped using Mobil 1 a long time ago in the race cars.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I haven't seen Motul mentioned yet, but it certainly stacks up to Redline and Amsoil. Ester based, etc.

We run Motul lubricant in the engine, diff, and transmission.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I ran Motul last year. Before that it was always Redline. The only reason I went back to Redline was that Motul became hard to find. Don't know why.... Bryan, anything you know? BTW, I never had an issue with Motul it's just that Redline is so easy to source.

I know nothing about Amsoil. I've only heard good things about it. The only reason I won't try it is because of their marketing. I wish it didn't seem like pyramid scheme, no real dealers.....

G.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Motul and Redline use similiar chemistries...Both are Group V ester basestocks and contain great additive packages. I have used both Motul 300 V 10w40 and Redline 10w40...Almost identical wear results. I'd run either with great confidence.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by George A
I ran Motul last year. Before that it was always Redline. The only reason I went back to Redline was that Motul became hard to find. Don't know why.... Bryan, anything you know?
Don't know anything about it. The shop that engineers and preps our car switched over to Motul after doing some study into the different offerings on the market. They are a dealer now, so they usually have a nice supply. If you are looking for it, you can give them a call:
www.rrtsuspension.com

As for Amsoil, I agree...it's just weird. I always feel like it's being pushed on me by a 22 year old car enthusiast who is trying to make some extra money while finishing his last year of college. I've heard/read good things about it, but I don't have any personal experience using it.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I bought into the Amsoil thing before i found out it was a pyramid marketing company. However, I think in their case, it just happened to be a good way to build their buisness. I also found out about it and started buying it from my local speed shop about 7 years ago. Then, when I started getting it wholesale, i started getting the mailers about how their "dealer network" operates. pretty strange. I do think the product works based on my spectacular results. I also think you could get similar results based on what i have read with redline and Motul. watching that oil pressure warning light come on with mobil 1 assured me that it was coming out and never being put in anything i drive again!
mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Don't know anything about it. The shop that engineers and preps our car switched over to Motul after doing some study into the different offerings on the market. They are a dealer now, so they usually have a nice supply. If you are looking for it, you can give them a call:
www.rrtsuspension.com

As for Amsoil, I agree...it's just weird. I always feel like it's being pushed on me by a 22 year old car enthusiast who is trying to make some extra money while finishing his last year of college. I've heard/read good things about it, but I don't have any personal experience using it.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Staunton944
What type of racing oil do you guys use?
I used AMSOIL 20w50 Series 2000 Racing Oil in my 944 Spec car. Expensive yes, but given the 944 & 951 motors propensity torward rod bearing issues I chose to use the best Oil I can get. I used to run Mobil 1 15w50, but it would lose more pressure during hot operation than the with AMSOIL. I switched about 4 years ago and never looked back. I recommend it for you 951 as well. Then change it every 3 weekends.

Like Mark I started using AMSOIL due to the product. Found out quick that I could get it cheaper being a "preferred customer". It costs me $20 a year for that, but since I order oil 4 or 8 gallons at a time I save on my first case. It is interesting to see their dealer malings. I probably could be a deal and sell it to my 944 spec guys, but I don't want the hassle. I'd get maybe $20 on 4 gallon case and it not worth the hassle of being "that guy". So I just tell them to get it on line.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used amsoil for my family's street cars for the last 10 years. I took a '91 Range Rover from 115k to 225k miles. I've also always run it in my 993 for the 7 years I've had it.

What would cause the Mobil 1, or any oil for that matter, to have low oil pressure in extreme temperatures?

Also, have any of you experienced lower track temperatures w/ amsoil vs. other oils?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first ran Amsoil 25 years ago in my 914, I saw significantly lower engine temps on the track than with conventional motor oil. That sold me on the spot.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:43 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Oil temps havent gone down, but oil pressure has with some of the other oils. I believe its a thermal breakdown thing. pretty dramtic was the difference between the two. One of the other characteristics that might have saved my 100 racing hour engine, usually prone to #2/6 bearing failures, has been an idea that Amsoil foams less under high temp and high rpm.

One of our 928 track junkies, is going to conduct a test. get our favorite 3 oils up to 270F degrees, use a blender and stir them up and see which one foams the most. I think even this test will prove amsoil best. My test, is in the engine and the results i have seen.

mk

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I've used amsoil for my family's street cars for the last 10 years. I took a '91 Range Rover from 115k to 225k miles. I've also always run it in my 993 for the 7 years I've had it.

What would cause the Mobil 1, or any oil for that matter, to have low oil pressure in extreme temperatures?

Also, have any of you experienced lower track temperatures w/ amsoil vs. other oils?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran this car hard for hours on end at 1.2 bar of boost and never a engine failure. At the end of the season and 50 hours later we split the cases and scratch our heads... we would joke about re-using the main and rod bearings because they looked so good.... SWEPCO

Quick Reply: Best oil for racing?