Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I invariably knock the windshield wiper stalk once or twice per weekend... gets funny looks from the corner workers!
Since this car is my daily driver, I used to get into old habbits and use the turn signal at turn in.... talk about embarassing...

I've done the wiper thing too, but I think I don't do it very often b'c I don't really take my hands off the wheel 'cos I don't drive stick.

-Judd
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by George A
I forgot about that.... You did pass there and I was wondering if they changed it to a passing zone. You know that where they had an "incident" last time (with the gray GT2).

G.
Passing zones in yellow (white at normal DE's) are pretty loose. I think coming out of 3 is a pretty good place to pass, since you don't have to back off too much to go 2 wide through there. It's basically a downhill straight, with just a little kink. Now at 10/10, it's only 1 car wide, and the tires are screaming the whole way through the kink, but at 9.8/10 it's no problem.

I remember the GT2 incident from that first ECR DE. If I remember correctly, it happened on a warm-up lap...

-Judd
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Hey that's me in the 944 #404. Didn't mean to hold anyone up but it didn't look to me that you guys were that close. Sorry for the inconvenience, as it was my first time out at ECR.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by juddtaylor
Passing zones in yellow (white at normal DE's) are pretty loose. I think coming out of 3 is a pretty good place to pass, since you don't have to back off too much to go 2 wide through there. It's basically a downhill straight, with just a little kink. Now at 10/10, it's only 1 car wide, and the tires are screaming the whole way through the kink, but at 9.8/10 it's no problem.

I remember the GT2 incident from that first ECR DE. If I remember correctly, it happened on a warm-up lap...

-Judd
I hold the belief that in the advanced run groups, passes should be allowed everywhere, including the turns. Hey, you have to learn to drive off line one day. I think it should be part of the education process. You won't always have an unobstructed "line" (if there even is such a thing as a correct line).

Yup, the warm up lap....

G.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Hey that's me in the 944 #404. Didn't mean to hold anyone up but it didn't look to me that you guys were that close. Sorry for the inconvenience, as it was my first time out at ECR.
No worries. We're just bustin' chops. It's all in good fun since we're at a DE anyway. Besides, it makes us feel better to stroke our own egos.

It was nice running with you!

-td
Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

'cos I don't drive stick.

-Judd
Or fast, or straight, or with your eyes open, or with numbers on.

-td

Last edited by himself; 06-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

I hold the belief that in the advanced run groups, passes should be allowed everywhere, including the turns. Hey, you have to learn to drive off line one day. I think it should be part of the education process. You won't always have an unobstructed "line" (if there even is such a thing as a correct line).

Yup, the warm up lap....

G.
Damn, how I wish! At Barber over Memorial Day, the BMW club let instructors pass anywhere with a point, just as TWS' Motorsport Club does. Seems to work just fine!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by eclou
Ok, I'll forgive you. Did you actually hear me on the horn, or was it just an incredible coincidence that the pass was right after that? I could barely hear it myself (both I and himself were running without mufflers)...

-Judd
Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Damn, how I wish! At Barber over Memorial Day, the BMW club let instructors pass anywhere with a point, just as TWS' Motorsport Club does. Seems to work just fine!
I think this is for advanced only. Until you know what to do off line, then it's too dangerous close to a turn. Also, at lower levels, people give a lot of bad pass signals-- and that's even just in the passing zones on the straights. I like the way PCA does it now.

I personally love the harder passes in the advanced groups... but I wouldn't trust drivers at lower levels enough to do it anywhere else. I also love how it the advanced people are more stingy with the passes. It makes you think out your whole lap-- you have to string together the parts where you are faster and space and time everything correctly to get the huge run off the corners to finally get the signal. I love that. You really have to get a feel for the other driver, and you have to think of sacrificing certain turns to get that good run to get the pass.

An example of the above is the pass on 993RSCS in part 2 of the video I posted. I gave up the entrance to turn 11 so I could get rotated earlier, and get on the gas sooner. That was only possible b/c I saw that I was "woaing up" faster than him into 11, and carrying just a little more speed through the center. If I didn't take the slow entry line on 11, I wouldn't have been there on 11 exit to get the signal.

His times and mine must have been very close to mine. I never lost sight of him in my mirrors, and I think it took me at least a full lap to really put any respectible distance between us (I was getting blue flags that lap... but I ignored them... the cw's didn't know I just passed him.). Every time I caught someone and was slowed, he'd catch back up to me... all the way to the end of that session.

-Judd
Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I think this is for advanced only. Until you know what to do off line, then it's too dangerous close to a turn. Also, at lower levels, people give a lot of bad pass signals-- and that's even just in the passing zones on the straights. I like the way PCA does it now.

I personally love the harder passes in the advanced groups... but I wouldn't trust drivers at lower levels enough to do it anywhere else.

-Judd
Oh, I agree. That was George's point.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Ok, I'll forgive you. Did you actually hear me on the horn, or was it just an incredible coincidence that the pass was right after that? I could barely hear it myself (both I and himself were running without mufflers)...

-Judd
I couldn't hear anything over my exhaust and the noise of the gravel spraying under the car. I am used to people almost nudging the rear bumper or pulling out to indicate intent. You guys seemed pretty far off my bumper until T3, but then again perhaps it was my hangover clouding things
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

The general rule is if they are behind you by a car length or two or three and you didn't pass them, they should get a passing signal. Each driver has a personal comfort level of how close they should be to the car in front of them. For some it's measured in car length and for others in inches. I do have a tendency to get a couple of mm's from someones bumper, if I know them. I know it's wrong and back off when I realize it (sometimes).

G.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

More YouTube Videos:

Day 3 Session 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtw4KNA0T4
This is just teh part of the warm up lap where I spin on the web asphalt sealant... That overnight repair didn't hold!

Day 3, Session 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-K9F0tbUN4
This is another time behind himself. It's great racing, and there's some quick laps in there (including my fastest lap of the weekend, at 2:05.833).
Right before I pass himself, I nearly hit him into turn 1. Wayyyyy to close for comfort. I'm willing to bet my tow hook loop went between his rear bumperettes (but apparently didn't touch his bumper). In real life, that 1-2s felt like a minute... I was thinking (to Tom) "turn already!!! Get of the brakes !!!", (to myself) "Ahhhhhhh!!! Stay left!!! Save me ABS!!!"....

Day 3, Session 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY9gphQh7xM
This is how NOT to take turn 11!
The vid starts with a pass on caygirl, and then a pass on a quick 914 (maybe -6). I saw Rick Gonzales was driving that weekend, so I'm thinking it may have been him (and he painted his yellow car black).
I get all kinds of sideways in 11, then get it to stick, and then I figure "it stuck, so bring on the horsies!"-- and then I promptly get sideways again on exit... Watch my head jerk right when I hit the curbing in the seconds sideways (or maybe the tires finally stuck and that did it).

I need to mandate a new driving rule: "you got sideways, no more than 6/10 for the next 2-3 turns".

Last edited by juddtaylor; 06-03-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The general rule is if they are behind you by a car length or two or three and you didn't pass them, they should get a passing signal. Each driver has a personal comfort level of how close they should be to the car in front of them. For some it's measured in car length and for others in inches. I do have a tendency to get a couple of mm's from someones bumper, if I know them. I know it's wrong and back off when I realize it (sometimes).

G.
The times you have done this to me have never bothered me at all. And I do it to others on a selective basis...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally love the harder passes in the advanced groups... but I wouldn't trust drivers at lower levels enough to do it anywhere else. I also love how it the advanced people are more stingy with the passes. It makes you think out your whole lap-- you have to string together the parts where you are faster and space and time everything correctly to get the huge run off the corners to finally get the signal. I love that. You really have to get a feel for the other driver, and you have to think of sacrificing certain turns to get that good run to get the pass.
-Judd
That would have to be the best description of what I expect to experience on the higher-end of DE'ing. Wouldn't think about club racing until I've fully exploited the DE format for that kind of experience. So far, I've come close only thru orchestrated lead-follow runs. That's the "high" that I am after!

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?