Sponsored by:

Roll Call for HCR "Cups and Saucers" at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

RJ, this is very well written; it is very much how I feel about the event. Much better written than I could have. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
[This is MINDY, not Marc]
Prof, sorry to show you such a zoo of an event...
It ain't a circus unless there are some clowns.

Der Perfessors parting wisdom: "If you drive like everybody else, you're going to suck...just like them".
Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
....A couple of years ago, I got a ...Sigh.. Being a renegade early 911 driver means always having to say you're sorry, even when you aren't really.
Well - sort of.. I'll add my "$0.000002" (<-damned inflation ) on this...

I had an advanced student who wanted me to go on a ride with him. In his view - he's was having a tough time "going faster", as his lap times were about three seconds slower than the better drivers in his run group in similar Porsches. He wanted to improve both his driving style and his times. I took the first ride with him - and didn't say much over the intercom - just sort of watched from the right hand seat..

After that session, we had a long chat.

Yep - he was driving at 110% for his "driving style" - and told him so. His style was "abrupt" and "hard driving". I also told him, in my view - "he needed to slow down - to get faster", and explained why. He was a bit skeptical - so he asked for me to join him in the rest of his run groups for the day - but, the deal was - he had to leave his lap timer off for his 2nd & 3rd session - and hook it up in the fourth/last only..

Anyway - he worked really hard at "dancing with the car" - rather than "beating the "bejeezus" out of the old girl..". The track offered the rhythm of "music" (flow) - and by the end of the 3rd session he was waltzing. In other words - he was smooth, in control - and we'd see about the speed in the fourth session.

But - funny thing happened in the fourth session. He wanted to keep his timer off - and just work on "being smoother faster". So we did.. And an amazing thing happened...

He passed two of the cars he was trying to keep up with in the earlier DEs.

In the paddock - the other drivers came up to him - and asked "where do THAT come from?" or "What - did you change engines between sessions?" - He was thrilled. And he should have been.

My point here is - some folks DO drive at 110%, but unless they are "dancing to the rhythm of the track and holding the "old gal" gently through the twists, bends and dips" - they'll never be as good as those who are able to do that. What did Helmüt say?
Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
..."If you drive like everybody else, you're going to suck...just like them".
In a lot of ways - that's more "right" than folks believe...

And - by the way? How do I know? I used to drive "on the edge - working at 110%". In Germany, at an Instructors school there for a week - one of the single best drivers I've ever had the opportunity to watch, ride with and "learn from" - also told me I "needed to slow down - to get faster..". He taught me a a whole lot - much of which was how to be a better instructor.

Anyway - just my opinion...

JD
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 792 Posts

^^ sofa king true...post of the month ^^
Old 05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
^^ sofa king true...post of the month ^^
For some reason - it always scares me when you agree with me.....

Why??

I keep waiting for the punchline or picture to appear???!!!!!....

JD
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Haha! Yes, be VERRRRRRY scared.

Nah, I am just giving credit where it is due. Your post had one of the most fundamental (IMHO) tenets of getting REALLY fast in it.

And, since you asked for a picture, here is a chick Deep UV brought to our last event at TWS;

Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...And, since you asked for a picture, here is a chick Deep UV brought to our last event at TWS;

So glad I asked!!! Not that I should be the judge of another man's taste in women - but, ummm?? Is that designer dress hot off the runways in Paris???

JD
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

There is obviously a mirror shortage in her neighborhood.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That fashion style is very popular in two spots that I am aware of, East Los Angeles and by the Lincoln Tunnel in Manhattan - where inflation, I understand, has not hit yet.

John D. - I was serenaded to once at the track to a Bob Linville (former CI of Florida Crown) oldie, but goodie -- "You wanna be fast, you got to be smooth...." Good old song - and still holds true.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.

...Anyway - just my opinion...

JD
For many years I taught classical guitar. Within the pedagogy there is a ideal right hand position for plucking the strings. As making sound is the primary aim, hand placement and angle of attack are critical components for achieving tonal control and range of expression. But while there is a standard hand placement, there are, in fact, no standard hands. The standard theory assumes that your thumb extends to the first joint of the forefinger. If I hold up my hand, the tip of my thumb barely surpasses the knuckle of my forefinger. As a result, I had to develop my own technique which somewhat flew in the face of convention, but despite this heresy, given the actual circumstances, was logically consistent with the goals that the dogma was trying to achieve. I like to think my solution worked pretty well. Having been a personal victim of convention wisdom, when I began instructing, I was quite conscious about examining the student and applying intelligence to their individual circumstance rather than trying to unerringly recast them into mirror copies of the images found in the text books.

With any complex activity there is neither one way to learn nor do. Bearing in mind that this ride occurred at NHIS, a pretty rough and tumble excuse for a road course, there is no doubt that at that time his criticisms were warranted. OTOH, his approach, at least with me, failed. It failed because by that time, I had already chosen a path and style which dictated that I routinely, not intentionally mind you, but unashamedly, drive the tires beyond 100%. His approach was bottom up, mine was top down. Neither is wrong, it was simply a question of a philosophical mismatch. For better or worse, when learning I tend to listen, absorb, analyze, accept, reject, synthesize. As proof, I offer a brief, sick glimpse into my own personal mental imagery. In Tailwagger's world, driving is the act of painting rubber on the tarmac. There are times when smooth broad flowing strokes are appropriate, there are others when blobs and spatter work the best. The technique is knowing how. The artistry is knowing when.

Two or so years on, the last passenger I had out in the car was actually quite surprised, given my rather unsavory reputation, at how uneventful the ride was. His only comment was, 'I can't believe how hard you have to work to get this car around the track.' I assume, I'll see you on Wednesday. If so, and you'd like to see how you're old student has fared up close and personal, I'd be honored to give you the opportunity to give me crap first hand. 'course, ride or no, I'm gonna bum a couple of smokes off you regardless.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well - sort of.. I'll add my "$0.000002" (<-damned inflation ) on this...

I had an advanced student who wanted me to go on a ride with him. In his view - he's was having a tough time "going faster", as his lap times were about three seconds slower than the better drivers in his run group in similar Porsches. He wanted to improve both his driving style and his times. I took the first ride with him - and didn't say much over the intercom - just sort of watched from the right hand seat..

After that session, we had a long chat.

Yep - he was driving at 110% for his "driving style" - and told him so. His style was "abrupt" and "hard driving". I also told him, in my view - "he needed to slow down - to get faster", and explained why. He was a bit skeptical - so he asked for me to join him in the rest of his run groups for the day - but, the deal was - he had to leave his lap timer off for his 2nd & 3rd session - and hook it up in the fourth/last only..

Anyway - he worked really hard at "dancing with the car" - rather than "beating the "bejeezus" out of the old girl..". The track offered the rhythm of "music" (flow) - and by the end of the 3rd session he was waltzing. In other words - he was smooth, in control - and we'd see about the speed in the fourth session.

But - funny thing happened in the fourth session. He wanted to keep his timer off - and just work on "being smoother faster". So we did.. And an amazing thing happened...

He passed two of the cars he was trying to keep up with in the earlier DEs.

In the paddock - the other drivers came up to him - and asked "where do THAT come from?" or "What - did you change engines between sessions?" - He was thrilled. And he should have been.

My point here is - some folks DO drive at 110%, but unless they are "dancing to the rhythm of the track and holding the "old gal" gently through the twists, bends and dips" - they'll never be as good as those who are able to do that. What did Helmüt say?
In a lot of ways - that's more "right" than folks believe...

And - by the way? How do I know? I used to drive "on the edge - working at 110%". In Germany, at an Instructors school there for a week - one of the single best drivers I've ever had the opportunity to watch, ride with and "learn from" - also told me I "needed to slow down - to get faster..". He taught me a a whole lot - much of which was how to be a better instructor.

Anyway - just my opinion...

JD
An excellent opinion!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by RJay
....and you'd like to see how you're old student has fared up close and personal, I'd be honored to give you the opportunity to give me crap first hand. 'course, ride or no, I'm gonna bum a couple of smokes off you regardless.
Oh sheessshhhh - don't ever post in public I was once your instructor!! While over three years ago - I'm not certain that the statute of limitations doesn't apply for another four years???

In the meantime.....

It would be my pleasure to go for a ride with you! And - I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to go out with at NHMS a couple of weeks ago - but, with two students and helping with "Taste of Track" rides - my dance card was pretty full..??

But - before I agree to go out with you (again - "ever"??!! ) You have to agree that:

NUMBER 1- I'll try to make you go even faster - and to do so - you will have to loose some of those REALLY BAD Auto-X habits.. Yea - I know you think the the road course at NHMS is an Auto-x coarse on steroids (and without all those stupid Auto-X cones in the middle of what might be - could have been - wonderful straightways) - but - well....

NUMBER 2- If I'm in the "right hand seat" - you have to listen to the noise in your "right ear". That would be me calmly talking....

NUMBER 3- if I do number 1 and 2 above - you agree that I never have to come to an Auto-X

NUMBER 4- You finally actually buy me that pack of smokes you promised me a couple of weeks ago - as you were "...gonna bum a couple of smokes off me..". Which, quickly turned into a coupl'a packs...

Seriously - for those who don't know RJay.. It was my pleasure to have him as a student many years ago.. And he's come a long way since "way back then", and is now an instructor himself.. For any instructor (I think I can speak for a few here - on this list??) - when I look at many of the instructors today, it brings a smile that some or many - were once our "student". To see any student progress - well - is what's it's all about...

And RJay? It would be my pleasure to go out in a session or two with you again...

JD
Old 05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

But - before I agree to go out with you (again - "ever"??!! ) You have to agree that:

NUMBER 1- I'll try to make you go even faster - and to do so - you will have to loose some of those REALLY BAD Auto-X habits.. Yea - I know you think the the road course at NHMS is an Auto-x coarse on steroids (and without all those stupid Auto-X cones in the middle of what might be - could have been - wonderful straightways) - but - well....

NUMBER 2- If I'm in the "right hand seat" - you have to listen to the noise in your "right ear". That would be me calmly talking....

NUMBER 3- if I do number 1 and 2 above - you agree that I never have to come to an Auto-X

NUMBER 4- You finally actually buy me that pack of smokes you promised me a couple of weeks ago - as you were "...gonna bum a couple of smokes off me..". Which, quickly turned into a coupl'a packs...
JD
Hmmm lets see.

#1. Not a problem. I promise I won't drink three cups of coffee before we go out. There, bad AX habit in the trash. Not a tough one, there arent any Pete's within a hundred miles of the track.

#2. Also not a problem. Shout as loud as you like, to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, 'the great thing about this car is that no one can hear you scream as you go sliding through the Pearly Gates backwards, in a ball of fire.'

#3. Tell you what, I promise I wont try to lure you there under false pretenses with scantily clad women and elderly bottles of whiskey, unless, of course, you really want me to.

#4. Ok. I'll buy you the smokes. Just dont expect a full pack, I'll pre-bum a few.

Deal?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's time to close this thread. We've beaten this dead horse enough.

Quick Reply: Roll Call for HCR "Cups and Saucers" at the Glen