Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who decided to make sequentials so forward is down a gear and back is up a gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who decided to make sequentials so forward is down a gear and back is up a gear?

Its just has always confused me.........seems as if it should be the other way around.....
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not confusing at all. When you are braking what is the natural motion of your arm? Forward = downshifting. When you are accelerating what is the natural motion of your arm? Rearward = upshift. What is annoying is that most of the street car manufacturers have it backwards!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

What Geoffrey said. It makes way more sense when you think about the dynamics of a car...especially in a single seater with aero where you may be braking at 2+ G's.

I believe some of the single seater sports racers that run motorcycle motors and transmissions actually have it "backwards" due to the layout of the gearbox.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
MTosi
User

When you look at it that way it makes perfect sense, but when you look at it from a perspective of going "up" and "down" its obviously opposite. I was just noticing this the other day driving a customers BMW and it had it "backwards" from racecars so I was confusing myself and trying to think which way made more sense.....
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the Radicals gave you the option of doing it the correct way or the backwards way that most street cars are set up with.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do street bikes have "UP" upshift patterns, and race bikes have "DOWN" upshift patterns ?

Jus sayin......
Old 05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Not confusing at all. When you are braking what is the natural motion of your arm? Forward = downshifting. When you are accelerating what is the natural motion of your arm? Rearward = upshift. What is annoying is that most of the street car manufacturers have it backwards!
Correcto mundo

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
MTosi
User

Well at least paddle shifters are consistant.....right is up.....left is down.....except the ones where you can flick the same paddle up and down, where pulling is up and flicking it with the back of your fingers is down....and the ones that work on both sides that way......okay im sick of stupid confusing sequentials I'll stick with my H pattern manuals, its easy for simple racers like me to understand......
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

"Powerglide".
Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
When you look at it that way it makes perfect sense, but when you look at it from a perspective of going "up" and "down" its obviously opposite. I was just noticing this the other day driving a customers BMW and it had it "backwards" from racecars so I was confusing myself and trying to think which way made more sense.....
Do you ever fly? Back is up, forward is down
Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
MTosi
User

^
LOL good point, and no I stick to level ground
Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]I'll stick with my H pattern manuals, its easy for simple racers like me to understand....../QUOTE]

Except for dogleg boxes, then 2 is 1, 3 is 2, 4 is 3, 5 is 4 and reverse is 5...
Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BMW did it both ways in the 5-series...the first year it was one way, the next year they switched...confused some people...LOL...but all you had to do was pull it out and reverse it and it would work the old way....
Old 05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I kept repeating that in my mind- "pull back for upshifts" the 1st few times I drove my new car. Upshifts are foolproof in the sequential UNLESS you forget. I think someone did that at a test day I attended and it ended their day

My Mini and Touareg are opposite of each other so I forget which is which in those.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
MTosi
User

Except for dogleg boxes, then 2 is 1, 3 is 2, 4 is 3, 5 is 4 and reverse is 5...
true enough, but at least its either H pattern or Dogleg, and every time you shift you use the clutch and if there is an extra gear you know where it is.....its just more consistant and well established....there doesn't seem to be any established method yet to sequentials.......some you use the clutch on downshifts not up shifts....some you dont.....some you have to blip....some you don't........some no need for the clutch at all.....when u get into a seq car you have to ask......any standard you realy don't have to ask how it works.

ohhhh and just out of curiosity which S2 CS do you have?

Quick Reply: Who decided to make sequentials so forward is down a gear and back is up a gear?