Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who decided to make sequentials so forward is down a gear and back is up a gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi and VW got this backwards as well on their tiptronics IIRC. Is the Porsche tiptronic also backwards?

If my wife had kept her Tip Passat, was giving serious consideration to try to reversing the wiring connectors on the Tip microswitches. Of course I "never" tracked this car without telling her, of course
Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I think the Radicals gave you the option of doing it the correct way or the backwards way that most street cars are set up with.
Yep. And I wondered about "back to upshift" until about the 2nd lap I had the thing. Then it made perfect sense. Now for my ultimate comparo.......the smart......is "forward to upshift" (or use the damn paddles).

OK, quiz time.......raise your hand if, after driving your sequential box, you ever, ever, ever want to shift an h-pattern, normal OR 901/928/early 924 Turbo (gotcha on that one!)?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Yep. And I wondered about "back to upshift" until about the 2nd lap I had the thing. Then it made perfect sense. Now for my ultimate comparo.......the smart......is "forward to upshift" (or use the damn paddles).

OK, quiz time.......raise your hand if, after driving your sequential box, you ever, ever, ever want to shift an h-pattern, normal OR 901/928/early 924 Turbo (gotcha on that one!)?
I bought a smart cabriolet for my mom and she just got it yesterday. Fun car, makes my mini look huge!!!! I drove it but let it shift by itself. Interesting sounds from that 3 cyl engine. Nice MANUAL steering!!!

No, I don't want to go back to a normal gearbox after driving my sequential. But I hope I can get better at downshifts before I start to wear it out.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I bought a smart cabriolet for my mom and she just got it yesterday. Fun car, makes my mini look huge!!!! I drove it but let it shift by itself. Interesting sounds from that 3 cyl engine. Nice MANUAL steering!!!

No, I don't want to go back to a normal gearbox after driving my sequential. But I hope I can get better at downshifts before I start to wear it out.
The shifting (and "power", if you can call it that) gets dramatically better after the 1K mile mark.

Quick Reply: Who decided to make sequentials so forward is down a gear and back is up a gear?