Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Anyone race with eyeglasses

Wondering if anyone who wears glasses has suggestions/ideas/types of frames, etc for keeping their glasses from 'falling off' while racing.

My son, who unfortunately inherited my eyesight, i.e. blind as a bat, is having some problems with his glasses falling/sliding under his helmet while karting...we couldn't figure out why he slowed down in the middle of a race and was trying to open his visor and drive with one hand....

FWIW, he is wearing an Arai GP5 with a balaclava and Nike Flexon frames that do not hook behind the ears, just go straight back, aviator style.

The current solution is to tape the glasses to the sides of the helmet padding on each side of the eyeport after he gets his helmet and glasses on, before he goes into parc ferme.....looks funny but it did work last time out.

Contacts are another option (although some people have commented on them sometimes popping out on bumpy tracks.

Someone else even mentioned that you can get an Arai visor made to match your eyeglass prescription.....had never heard of that and haven't been able to find out anything yet.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Gregory993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I ended up getting a pair of WileyX SG1's made up which come with a strap that attaches to the frame when you remove the arms. No issues with comfort or fogging inside the helmet. Best of luck.
Regards,
Gregory
Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I wear glasses and have never had that issue. Suggest you go to a lenscrafter (or similar) and get the glasses adjusted so the dont slide around, as it sounds like they are way too loose.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I wear a pair of Nike wrap around sunglasses that are very snug. I would suggest something similar. Because they are intended to be worn during sports, they wrap well behind the ears and are very tight and I don't get any slipping. I got the Nike because it was the most significant wrap around that you could still get a prescription lens in.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LASIK surgery?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I have always worn wrap around sunglasses with no problems, used to use Gargoyles.
I recently got those Nike wrap around prescription sunglasses and they are fine too.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LASIK docs don't like to touch eyes until mid twenties so they know that they've stopped changing.

I used to race with glasses. Now LASIK.

However I would do a couple of things. As someone mentioned, tape was useful.

Ones that hook around the ears were the best by far. I generally didn't have to tape those since they were held in place by the helmet. The tough part was finding a pair that stayed close to the face and then bent inward just a bit so the helmet didn't push them askew.

Karting may be a bit tougher since it is much bouncier. I'd recommend taking the helmet to the eyestore and testing that way.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the problem, but I would suggest going to an optician who specializes in glasses for extreme sports, etc. I have a Nephew who is an Optician and he carries a wide variety of unusual frames for prescription glasses, which are designed to stay in place under conditions that would be a problem with regular frames.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lewis, I wear glasses and race. Ironically, I moved from contacts to glasses because my contacts would fall out while driving (I don't blink much at speed - seriously). It sounds like his glasses are too lose or his helmet is. Granted karting is a lot rougher than cars but I'd think between the glasses squeezing the head and the helmet squeezing the glasses, it'd be hard for the glasses to shift around.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I started wearing annetts, (sunglasses) wraparound style, and they didn't fit well once the helmet went on. (lifted)

swiched back to rayban predators (my old pair) and no problems... same as always...

-suggest, checking the frame w/ helmet fit.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Wondering if anyone who wears glasses has suggestions/ideas/types of frames, etc for keeping their glasses from 'falling off' while racing.

My son, who unfortunately inherited my eyesight, i.e. blind as a bat, is having some problems with his glasses falling/sliding under his helmet while karting...we couldn't figure out why he slowed down in the middle of a race and was trying to open his visor and drive with one hand....

FWIW, he is wearing an Arai GP5 with a balaclava and Nike Flexon frames that do not hook behind the ears, just go straight back, aviator style.

The current solution is to tape the glasses to the sides of the helmet padding on each side of the eyeport after he gets his helmet and glasses on, before he goes into parc ferme.....looks funny but it did work last time out.

Contacts are another option (although some people have commented on them sometimes popping out on bumpy tracks.

Someone else even mentioned that you can get an Arai visor made to match your eyeglass prescription.....had never heard of that and haven't been able to find out anything yet.

Thanks

uhh ohh,, Glasses in a kart ? go for the contacts his depth perception will be much better , lasik when he comes of age... a side note, lack of perfect natural vision will limit his abiltiy to climb the ladder , depth perception will become a problem as he climbs into faster machinery , move him to contacts this will improve his situation now ............

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
LASIK surgery?
Agreed when he can .......................
Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

note to self - stop blinking. Thanks for the tip CB!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
(I don't blink much at speed - seriously
He's not kidding...its really quite creapy!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wear glasses. I have never had an issue using my regular glass or prescription sunglasses in 9 years of track driving. All my glasses go behind the ears like most glasses.

Of course driving a softish spung 944 may be helping
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Lewis, I wear glasses and race. Ironically, I moved from contacts to glasses because my contacts would fall out while driving (I don't blink much at speed - seriously). It sounds like his glasses are too lose or his helmet is. Granted karting is a lot rougher than cars but I'd think between the glasses squeezing the head and the helmet squeezing the glasses, it'd be hard for the glasses to shift around.
don't your eyes dry out?

Quick Reply: Anyone race with eyeglasses