Sponsored by:

Anyone race with eyeglasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I use nike flexon frames myself and I have never had a problem with them moving in the helmet. That said, I did leave a pair of glasses on the back of a 951 at mid ohio that became part of the racing surface in turn one.

As for lasik, good friend of mine has a very bad night light halo issue.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having run a 125 shifter kart wearing glasses and contacts plus running my 911 race car with glasses, I have some first hand experience on this subject.

125 shifter kart -> The G forces were so strong that my contacts would move around and sometimes even come right out of my eyes. It was very annoying and extremely distracting. The lens for one of my eyes is a Toriq lens for the astigmatism in that eye. I can't remember if that was the lens that was more likely to fall out or not?? Because the contact lenses would not stay put, I switched over to wearing glasses. My glasses wouldn't stay put either because driving the shifter kart is so violent. I then designed my own strap system that connects to my helmet and firmly holds my glasses in place. That worked just fine.

911 race car -> I can drive my 911 race car aggressively while wearing glasses without my retention straps attached. This just shows that karting (especially in a 125 shifter kart) exerts much more G forces / vibration / etc than driving most race cars. I now need to try my contact lenses to see if I can get away with driving my race car with them.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What? Am I the only one who closes their eyes when going through the corners?
They're supposed to be open?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think we'll try the contact lens route, as at the last club race, one of my son's teammates had one of her contact lenses pop out while driving, causing a bit of an issue with depth perception
(we knew something was up while she was racing, but didn't find out until after when she was rolling thru scales & tech)

I'll try tightening up the screws on the sides of the glasses and go with the racer's tape for the next race (New Castle Indiana...Stars Race of the Americas.....ridiculously long straight and very high G corners) and see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply......
Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

well if nothing else , we have learn't there are a lot of blind ****'s on Rennlist
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can get TagHeuer frames, you will notice that the temples go straight back, so you don't need to get them hooked behind your ears. The Tags really grip the side of your head well, so I have noted no problems. These frames wee expensive, and not available everywhere. I found mine at the Optica store on Michigan Ave in Chicago. Good luck. AS
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the temple bars are to long and don't wrap behind ears or the back of the head they go into the helmut and the foam pushes the glasses forward. which in turn moves the glasses away from your eyes and creates issues. Temples bars, Lewis look at the temple bars.
Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Red!
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I race with glasses, a balaclava, and a GP5 helmet(the wide eye port one) with no problems. My glasses are the light weight "frame-less" titanium type(Silhouette Titan).
Originally Posted by Tom W
I wear glasses and current have the GP5 helemt too. I'm with the others that suggest that either his helmet is too loose or the glasses could use adjustment as a first check. That said, the glasses with flexible wire frames are a pain. I use frames with a solid, stiff frame for racing. It's much easier to get them on once the helmet is on and have not had any issues in 6 years of driving with them staying on.
I also have a GP5W, I wear a balaclava underneath and use Silhouettes, (frameless, stainless steel, thin flexible temples) everything fits tight and then i slide the temples in with no regard to my ears since they are held in by tight friction fit alone - works for me!

I'll never leave my glasses off - I can't see to get in the car without them!

Quick Reply: Anyone race with eyeglasses