Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRP April 24, 25, 26........

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:21 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

when were you guys weighing in? I don't even know where the scales are at LRP. Maybe the crew did it at tech for me, I wasn't there. I got busted for noise later in the day. I hear 20 of us were meatballed.
Old 05-01-2008 | 04:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

they weighed all of "D" class after qualifying. I think it was because Bill R busted out a 1:01.1 in the enduro (new track record). But, Bill was already out with a mechanical.

I got busted for noise in qual...Gary got it as well
Old 05-01-2008 | 04:50 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

What happened to Richter? I thought I saw his car on the flatbed with body damage????
Old 05-01-2008 | 07:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
That wasn't the word Gary used

Colin - I had just weighed the car at Dan's and it was 2750 with no cool-suit cooler and under 1/2 tank of gas. Bela was standing right there and the guy just said "hey, scales differ, move". I just didn't know to argue the point and wanted to be non-aggresive to the poor volunteer. When I came back (after adding 75LB) and he told me I was 20 LB heavier I took a different stance. moving 2 inches took me from 2685 to 2800. I politely asked about the DQ and he said they have no way of knowing what I added, so I accepted it and had a blast passing a LOT of cars. I chock it up to a learning experience, and my racecraft lessons moving through the pack will be of great benefit in upcoming events. I have no regrets, life goes on!

I did find out why my car was diving under hard braking and acting a little squirrelly. When I put it ion the lift at my house the left ball joint and A-Arm were covered in oil/dirt, all coming from the drift pin holding the left front shock in the strut. Apparently all the oil that used to be in the shock is on the ground somewhere!
Old 05-01-2008 | 08:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Colin - I had just weighed the car at Dan's and it was 2750 with no cool-suit cooler and under 1/2 tank of gas. Bela was standing right there and the guy just said "hey, scales differ, move". I just didn't know to argue the point and wanted to be non-aggresive to the poor volunteer. When I came back (after adding 75LB) and he told me I was 20 LB heavier I took a different stance. moving 2 inches took me from 2685 to 2800. I politely asked about the DQ and he said they have no way of knowing what I added, so I accepted it and had a blast passing a LOT of cars. I chock it up to a learning experience, and my racecraft lessons moving through the pack will be of great benefit in upcoming events. I have no regrets, life goes on!
While you should be nice to the volunteers, you have the right to ask to be reweighed, especially if a scrut is not there. If there is any question as to the validity of the measurement, make sure a scrut is there so you can discuss it. Once you leave, you are SOL. I had the same fun starting from the back at the Sebring night race.
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
when were you guys weighing in? I don't even know where the scales are at LRP. Maybe the crew did it at tech for me, I wasn't there. I got busted for noise later in the day. I hear 20 of us were meatballed.
We got "Scale flagged" after qualifying.. Last year the scales were at the fuel pumps, this year they were in Paddock A just south of the dividing road next to Automobile Associates trailer. I got popped with a meatball in the 2nd Sprint practice, 94db. I've been running the same engine/exhaust there for 3 years now, never a problem before. Dan J. shoved a baffle in, all was well after that.
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:59 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We got "Scale flagged" after qualifying.. Last year the scales were at the fuel pumps, this year they were in Paddock A just south of the dividing road next to Automobile Associates trailer. I got popped with a meatball in the 2nd Sprint practice, 94db. I've been running the same engine/exhaust there for 3 years now, never a problem before. Dan J. shoved a baffle in, all was well after that.
Out of curiosity, what happens when you get summoned for breaking the noise limit? Do you get black flagged by PCA officials or is it local track officials that go after you?

just curious.
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
What happened to Richter? I thought I saw his car on the flatbed with body damage????
he lost a rear axle in big bend. he was lucky it happened where it did. No body damage, but there was additional damage and no way to get it fixed in time for the sprint race.
Old 05-01-2008 | 11:12 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
Out of curiosity, what happens when you get summoned for breaking the noise limit? Do you get black flagged by PCA officials or is it local track officials that go after you?

just curious.
I got tagged at 97db. I think the track officials tell the PCA officials to black flag us. I got pulled into the pits and told that my car is supposedly jet engine loud - at that point, they also told me that my session was over and I had to go into the paddock and fix it.

My fix was to drive again in the next session and lift when I saw the guy pointing the sound meter at me. My understanding is that if you get black flagged a second time, you are no longer allowed to drive for the rest of the day (or possibly the event)

Given that I had been at the same track for 6 days over the past two weeks with no problems whatsoever, my belief is that the person in charge of measuring the sound was a bit mistaken in his readings.
Old 05-02-2008 | 08:14 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Does anybody have an idea of when mylaps.com will be updated?
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:27 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
he lost a rear axle in big bend. he was lucky it happened where it did. No body damage, but there was additional damage and no way to get it fixed in time for the sprint race.
Oh, cuz I was wondering about his "13" status, so I guess he cleared.
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:34 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

yeah, no 13. he was really lucky though that it didn't happen in the downhill or with a bunch of people around him. Could have been really ugly.
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:36 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Does anybody have an idea of when mylaps.com will be updated?
I PM'd the chief timing & scoring guy from the event. He sent the data to mylaps on Monday so we're waiting on AMB...
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:44 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I PM'd the chief timing & scoring guy from the event. He sent the data to mylaps on Monday so we're waiting on AMB...
I'm surprised it's taking AMB this long. It seems strange that they have a method for real-time updates, but they can't seem to handle something that isn't real time.
Old 05-02-2008 | 10:33 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

This may have been the first event of the year that they measured sound, or at least the first where they were very stringent...that's what I heard from some of the folks in the know.

Also, sound testing is a pretty scientific thing and when you do it you are supposed to follow certain guidelines. Holding up a hand held unit in an arbitrary location is not the right way to do it. The angle of the meter, distance to reflective objects, distance to the source, secondary noise generating objects, wind patterns, temp/humidity, terrain all effect the reading. There's no way they are getting an absolute reading and using their inaccurate reading is just wasting everyone's time and money.

Quick Reply: LRP April 24, 25, 26........