Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I have done differently.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
to better keep up with the M3 and the Boxster in my first Summit Point DE event?

They just seemed to get away faster in certain parts of the track......

Anyway, I would appreciate your honest opinion on how to improve my driving skills.

Thanks.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt1u5Esu1w
Lose 200 pounds unsprung weight. Perhaps from the passenger seat...

To my untrained, uneducated, unreliable eye - it looks like braking and throttle technique and/or transition to me, especially in the tight corners. A perfect eample is at 2:15-2:30. You have "caught up to" the two cars in front of you, but they pull away on the sweeper-straight. They get on the gas earlier and end up with a few more MPH at the end of the straight. You look good in most sweepers to me.

But, as Jackie Stewart says, don't on-off-on the gas. At 3:20 or so, you come out of a corner on throttle, release a bit, then back on it. That'll slow you down I couldn't tell if you did this anywhere else, since my volume is low. I don't want to disturb the office with exhaust noise. Doh!

-td -> my $0.02, probably worth less with slowing economy
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I'm no expert, but the two cars in front of you are doing late-apex turns and coming out of the corners way faster than you are. It seems like you are turning in too soon.

Also, they have faster cars than yours, so with higher exit speeds, how are you going to catch them?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you're entering each corner at ab 90%... understandable for a new track.... i dunno what you're complaining about (seeking praise i see?) b/c you're still w/in visual of those cars. on street tires.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots of good feedback..... thanks....

I always try to compare myself with people (or cars) more able than me (or mine).......that is my way to strive to become better..... along with taking advice from the ones with more experience than me.....

TD, thanks for taking the time out of your day and discussing the video with me offline......
Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

follow this guy's advise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss8VojsXD7g
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Sean, you are right, I need to be more aggressive with the throttle and scrub less speed off.....
That's what I was telling you at NHIS too......

Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
PROOOOOFFFF. Man is there another thread here that is in need of your sage experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/418573-critique-my-vir-vid-please-be-gentle.html
Wasn't paying any attention to that thread. Waaaaay too much drama. A bunch of people on that thread needs to wiki "confirmation bias", then report back. I'm staying away. Sunday Drover and I are "sometimes surrogates" (except for my occasional bouts of "directional confusion"), so I'll defer to him over there.

VIR is all about managing your braking zones...and not creating any unnecessarily long ones. Use them to steer the car as much as to slow it down. Examples: Left Hook, Oak Tree, top of Rollercoaster. Oak Tree is identical to Moss Corner at Mosport, except somebody left it in the dryer too long. Under the tree, you need to consciously try to "almost" spin the car. If you're not getting barstool rotation there, your entry etc. was too slow.

Once somebody isn't making major rookie mistakes, trying to analyze droving via EweToob is an exercise in imagination. A hit of windowpane helps, too.

Summit Point T10 - downshifts only unsettle the suspension. If you've fallen out of your torque band between the bridge and the exit of T10, you haven't used enough track, or your skirt is blocking your vision. Find something else for your right hand to play with.

Starting at 6B, each turn-in needs to be "progressively LESS late", until you're squared-off on the way out of 9. Use too much track and you're just pissing speed away.

Follow loud cars that are faster than you. Listen to their "throttle turn-on" at each corner.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Go faster.

Downshift for T10 ? WTF is up with that ?

Hint: When you exit T5, you're actually on the front straight, although many refuse to believe it.

Summit Point T10 - downshifts only unsettle the suspension. If you've fallen out of your torque band between the bridge and the exit of T10, you haven't used enough track, or your skirt is blocking your vision. Find something else for your right hand to play with.

Starting at 6B, each turn-in needs to be "progressively LESS late", until you're squared-off on the way out of 9. Use too much track and you're just pissing speed away.

Follow loud cars that are faster than you. Listen to their "throttle turn-on" at each corner.
Print this out and tape it to the dash when you next come to visit Summit. T5 or at least the turn in to T6 to T10 are progressive corners. BTW I did not look at your or any other clips and have no coments on driving other than methods in general.

My skirt keeps flippng up as I crest the hill before T10 and this makes me mix the gas and the brake pedal. I hit the brake when I should still be standing on the gas. Going to tape it down this year, CT-MK or not.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Wasn't paying any attention to that thread. Waaaaay too much drama. A bunch of people on that thread needs to wiki "confirmation bias", then report back. I'm staying away. Sunday Drover and I are "sometimes surrogates" (except for my occasional bouts of "directional confusion"), so I'll defer to him over there.

VIR is all about managing your braking zones...and not creating any unnecessarily long ones. Use them to steer the car as much as to slow it down. Examples: Left Hook, Oak Tree, top of Rollercoaster. Oak Tree is identical to Moss Corner at Mosport, except somebody left it in the dryer too long. Under the tree, you need to consciously try to "almost" spin the car. If you're not getting barstool rotation there, your entry etc. was too slow.

Once somebody isn't making major rookie mistakes, trying to analyze droving via EweToob is an exercise in imagination. A hit of windowpane helps, too.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my $0.02...

Drive the rear tires. It appears that your current focus is on the front end of the car. Start focusing on the rear and will do at least two good things for you:
1) You will feel that there is available grip and get on the gas sooner.
2) It is physically raise your line of sight and make you look further up the track.

My bet is that alone will take a couple of seconds off your lap times at this stage.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Drive the rear tires.
^^^^^Amen amen amen amen amen^^^^^.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Drive the rear tires.
^^^^^Amen amen amen amen amen^^^^^.
Paolo,

This is another way of saying what you and I discussed on the phone. In addition to what SD and Prof said, it will help you "naturally" get back on the gas sooner because you will have no other choice . . . which is exactly what we were talking about.

TD
Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

More gas, less brakes is always a good place to start.

At one point, you dive into T1 pretty early like an experienced racer who knows the fast line rather than trying to hang outside forever to get a really late apex....only, you don't trail brake nearly enough, you never get rotated, and you get on the throttle way late while the BMW and Boxster are walking away from you.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Was that me in your right seat? The best thing to do is to get someone to go out with you who either knows how to drive or at least weighs less.

BTW, I am shocked about how the level of grip (read lack of it) felt being in the car and watching the video.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The more I watch my video and especially them walking away in T1, the more I feel like I am driving like a little girl.......

Time to grow some big ones and use all of the gas and the least amount of brakes.... I just have to get out of my comfort zone.......

Thanks for all of your pointers.......

Quick Reply: What should I have done differently.......