Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I have done differently.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What should I have done differently.......

to better keep up with the M3 and the Boxster in my first Summit Point DE event?

They just seemed to get away faster in certain parts of the track......

Anyway, I would appreciate your honest opinion on how to improve my driving skills.

Thanks.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVt1u5Esu1w
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. . . bought a TT, GT3 or GT2
Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i think driving faster in certain spots would have helped
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
. . . bought a TT, GT3 or GT2
And with that we say a sad goodbye to TD's critiquing career....

Originally Posted by 1957 356
i think driving faster in certain spots would have helped
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to really tell from this video, but two thing come to mind. Stay on the gas a little longer and get back on the gas a little sooner.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Go faster.

Downshift for T10 ? WTF is up with that ?

Your squashing your own mid-corner and exit speed....late on the gas (T3, T9, for example) and pinching off your entry to T1.

Hint: When you exit T5, you're actually on the front straight, although many refuse to believe it.

Street rubber or DOT race rubber ? Lots of tire noise in places that you shouldn't be hearing tire noise, if you're on race rubber.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PROOOOOFFFF. Man is there another thread here that is in need of your sage experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/418573-critique-my-vir-vid-please-be-gentle.html

Nice to hear from you (Paolo, listen up).
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Street rubber Professor.......

Thanks for the input....
Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

In all seriousness, listen to the prof. Based on this video and your LRP video you're consistently late getting on the throttle. In some corners in this video you're not completely on it until the apex or after the apex. I've never driven SP so I can't comment on your line but there are corners where you look early and combined with not getting back on the gas you're just sliding through the first part of the corner and really scrubbing speed. It also looks like you're not opening your hands on a number of corners post apex. Seems like you get gapped by them in a couple of spots from them braking later, taking later apexes and getting full on it earlier in the turn combined with unwinding the steering.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

More throttle, less brake...

Seriously, though, I will watch it tonight & tear you a new one, er, offer honest critique...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Sean, you are right, I need to be more aggressive with the throttle and scrub less speed off.....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
More throttle, less brake...

Seriously, though, I will watch it tonight & tear you a new one, er, offer honest critique...
VR, I would appreciate that.......the honest critique that is.....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

First: Don't forget the two cars you are comparing yourself to were 15+ years newer with more horsepower and you were on street tires.

Second: Anyone who thinks they should automatically beat a Boxster is a silly silly person. That one in the video looked to be significantly modified.

I am not an instructor or a pro of any kind but I tracked a non-S Boxster for most of 2 seasons before switching to the 911. I can tell you that in the twisties the Box will win when comparing average Joe to average Joe (like me). The 911 is much harder to get the carousel right. In a drag race, the non-S Boxster will loose to the later 80's Carreras but after turn 3 they are gone. Don't sweat it. Compare apples to apples instead.

Having driven both I can say that I used to sort of float to the apex in the Boxster then get back on the gas but in the 911 (especially when Good Hands is in front of me) I am much much more aggressive on the gas. I need to do more trail braking (learning to) but as much as I can I come of the brake and go immediately back to the power. I'm not setting any lap records by the way but since you are trying to compare yourself to those newer cars you should understand the differences. A Boxster S if driven right has 250+hp, perfectly balanced and is an animal above 4000 rpm and most are year 2000 or newer with trannys light years ahead of what you are dealing with.

I also take turn 10 in third. I'm still a little chicken there.

The other thing you could do is grow a pair and not take second place to a Chixster
Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the left-right complex before you go under the bridge I would try a wider turn in for both corners.

I saw the same early turn in on the last turn and then down in turn one. Make a conscious effort to grab as much pavement on the outside before turning in.

I would also suggest you *try* a few sessions using third in the long right hander, the carousel. You won't have the grunt you do in second, but it can help because you'll notice where and how you are killing your momentum. The higher gear also makes you less worried about losing the back end-you can just floor it in the higher gear and focus on a smooth line and picking up more speed.

I'd then pick a reference point before the bridge to check your tach and see if the higher gear works for you in generating faster exit speed. It may not.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a theory, but I'm watching your hands saw a bit and I'm wondering if maybe you aren't looking ahead enough - pre-planning where you want the car to be (use the force Paolo in an Obi-Wan voice). It almost appears like you are taking the track on in small segments vs. one fluid sequence. Looked to me like you were far off many of the optimal points - TIs, Apexes, TOs, etc. - suggesting this as well as the fact this was your first time at SP. Braking issues that lost you gap to other cars also suggests that you are new to that track. My general feeling is that it looks like you were trying to go fast, which we all know prevents you from doing so. The more relaxed, smooth, and linear you are, the faster you will be. I think you did just fine given that, but you were looking for thoughts...

When I look at my own track video, I see my hands are loose on the wheel, pretty much steering with palms. There's no sawing - just deliberate and smooth steering input. My throttle / brake is also linear where the last passenger I had couldn't really tell where the transitions were - throttle to brake to throttle. I don't know your car, so maybe some of what looks like sawing to me is feedback from your suspension / the rough track.

Looks like many times you aren't using all of the track you could. The more track you use, the more speed you can carry.

I'm not overly concerned about the tire noise - most of the time that's not negatively impacting you - just the tread blocks vibrating (though there were times when you were losing grip and sliding).

Quick Reply: What should I have done differently.......