Trying to get into racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
For example, if you want to WIN, and you only have $5K in your pocket now, and you only have $500 a month to blow, go with karts. How long it takes to win will depend solely on your talent and ability to learn.

For $30K up front and $800 a month, you could have a winning spec miata setup.
Wow, that's a lot of money!

I'll throw another option out there... you could do an ITB 924 for about $3-10k initial cost (let's face it, the cars themselves are about $500 - just a question of how bad you need to get to the front) and about $500 a month. And yes, that's for a win-capable car. Slightly slower than a SM, maybe a second or two at most tracks.

And yes, I know of an ITB 924 in the Detroit area that needs a new owner (and I don't mean mine!).
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Wow, that's a lot of money!

I'll throw another option out there... you could do an ITB 924 for about $3-10k initial cost (let's face it, the cars themselves are about $500 - just a question of how bad you need to get to the front) and about $500 a month. And yes, that's for a win-capable car. Slightly slower than a SM, maybe a second or two at most tracks.

And yes, I know of an ITB 924 in the Detroit area that needs a new owner (and I don't mean mine!).
And I think he's underestimating the cost for front running SM too.

The class is becoming reallyy pricey.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rent a Spec Racer Ford and take an SCCA school. You'll be W2W right away and it'll run ya <$2K. If you decide you like it, buy a car.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by gbaker
Rent a Spec Racer Ford and take an SCCA school. You'll be W2W right away and it'll run ya <$2K. If you decide you like it, buy a car.
+1.

Jay Motorsports is the Great Lakes region CSR. He is maintaining my Spec Racer Ford this weekend at Road Atlanta. I just blew a head gastket, and he will have a new engine in it by morning.

http://www.jaymotorsports.com/page_Rentals.php

Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
And I think he's underestimating the cost for front running SM too.

The class is becoming reallyy pricey.
Glad it's a "spec" series....

SFR region (+65 car fields)...front running car +$30K
Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 30K is a ton of cash for a momentum car. You can pick up a 944 in race-ready condition for 10K. Save 20K for spares and still be able to pass the spec pinatas!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If I were doing it over again and all I cared about was learning to race (rather than learning to drive which DE is perfect for), I would buy an already built $2,000 - $5,000 IT car and bang around in SCCCA. You don't need any experience to get a license, just show up and survive their licensing school. Then figure out what series to run.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

This is a great great thread and is very informative. While I hear everything that is being said, and how the specific car comes later in the process, any input on the world of racing with 912s? My son, who isn't driving yet but is karting, would like to buy a car to restore with the idea of ultimately racing. Among other cars, he does like 912s. Is there anything out there, or are they in a gap between pre-'62 356s and 911s?

(I say pre-'62 because I remember reading somewhere that something about the '63 and newer had either a different class or some other reason the earlier ones were preferred).
Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Good advise here. I'd also suggest considering karts if you are on a budget.
Kart and Budget......Jumbo Shrimp.......doesn't go together.

FWIW, a while back Racer Magazine did an article on what it would cost to reach F1 (not drive, just get a test).......$8.7M.

Karting was the first rung on the driver development ladder.....$100K for a full season competing in the Snap On IRL Stars of Karting series (considered the top tier karting series) with a top team.

Ask my wife.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
This is a great great thread and is very informative. While I hear everything that is being said, and how the specific car comes later in the process, any input on the world of racing with 912s? My son, who isn't driving yet but is karting, would like to buy a car to restore with the idea of ultimately racing. Among other cars, he does like 912s. Is there anything out there, or are they in a gap between pre-'62 356s and 911s?

(I say pre-'62 because I remember reading somewhere that something about the '63 and newer had either a different class or some other reason the earlier ones were preferred).
You son would be running afoul of the following bit of sage advice that was given earlier in the thread:

"First race cars" should be considered "disposable". Thats's what's going to happen to it anyway...might as well start getting used to the idea. Don't race something that you have an emotional attachment to.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a track prepped 912. They are cheaper than a same year 911 to track but not by much. Tires, brake pads and rotors last longer than a 911 but the car itself is as expensive to improve and maintain. 912s are longhood 911s with a 356 motor and like early 911s are getting more rare and no longer disposable as in the past. The 911 guys snap them up and convert them to 911s the 356 guys snap up the 912 motors and drive them while saving the orginal 356 motor in the corner of the garage. I do not recomend tracking a 912 at all. 912s handle great and better than a same year 911 in the corners but by todays standards they are just too expensive, too slow and less safe overall than a more modern car. Look at 944s and 924s for low cost Porsche track cars. The best way to reduce cost is to increase your mechanical skills and do your own work.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
.... Look at 944s and 924s for low cost Porsche track cars. The best way to reduce cost is to increase your mechanical skills and do your own work.
Yep on both accounts.

I have a 944 that I race. It is about as cheap as I can race a car and still have shot at doing well.

The other aspect of keeping costs down is doing ALL the labor myself. In 8 years of tracking the car the only farmed out work to a shop was the weld in-role cage, first corner balance and aligment and some head machine work. Everything else including, engine work, body work etc has all by a DIY effort.

I could NOT do it any other way.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First learn to drive and hone your skills...it's all about seat time

Racing is about the money you have to spend.

Very few drivers receive a paycheck
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

several thoughts come to mind:
go slow in pca de's. By this I mean "get" as many hard azz old time racers as instructors as you and they can tolerate; delay going solo until forced to go solo.
On the other hand, grab as much solo time in a different org, ie chin, pboc, nasa; many of which include open passing sessions
learn to drive a really slow car quickly and smoothly
then do the local pca and nasa race schools (get as many practice starts as possible) and the five day Bertyl Roos VIR school or something similar
have a blast
Jack
Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have a track prepped 912. They are cheaper than a same year 911 to track but not by much. Tires, brake pads and rotors last longer than a 911 but the car itself is as expensive to improve and maintain. 912s are longhood 911s with a 356 motor and like early 911s are getting more rare and no longer disposable as in the past. The 911 guys snap them up and convert them to 911s the 356 guys snap up the 912 motors and drive them while saving the orginal 356 motor in the corner of the garage. I do not recomend tracking a 912 at all. 912s handle great and better than a same year 911 in the corners but by todays standards they are just too expensive, too slow and less safe overall than a more modern car. Look at 944s and 924s for low cost Porsche track cars. The best way to reduce cost is to increase your mechanical skills and do your own work.
Thanks! Since I posted this, I spoke with my 911 mechanic. He nixed the 912 idea too. He suggested a 914 instead, and to do it with the POC group as they have a good new racer program. I see you have a 914 in the background. We're starting to look, very slowly.

Quick Reply: Trying to get into racing