Sponsored by:

Trying to get into racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
J_Kapp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get into racing

I am hoping to get some advice from people who are experienced with the racing world. I would like to get into wheel to wheel racing (scca or pca), but I'm pretty much at square one. What are some things that I should start researching, looking into, etc? I know that this won't be an easy thing to do, so I want to find out as much as I can now, before I make expensive investments. What are some things that you didn't expect to encounter? What are the must do's? Are there places I can go to get the info that I need?

My father used to race a beautiful Alfa Romeo, Sypder, 1600cc guileatta (I think that's how you spell it), I think it was a 1965. Seeing those pictures has confirmed for me that I want to do this. He said that he thinks that a lot has changed since he raced, which is why I'm asking for advice here.

I have an '86 951 that I am considering converting for track duty, so I know that will be a huge project in itself. I might wait a little bit and buy one ready to go. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of different ways forward. The best start, IMO, is show up to the track and see what is going on (but contact SCCA/PCA first to make sure you can get it as some events are non-spectator). Walk around, talk to people, see which group fits you best and which classes seem best for you.

From there, it is always better to buy a race car than build one - building is full of expensive surprises. You can get deeper by offering to crew for someone - you will learn a lot of the ins and outs that way if you are not quite yet ready to race.

As far as licensing/experience any path works for some people. Jump into an SCCA school and just go racing is one approach. You can do PCA, which is a more gradual entry. You can do a commercial school like Skippy. All of those can be done with or without a bunch of DEs before you take the bigger step.

You might also consider renting a ride for a while. You can test a class and see if you like it and also really focus on driving, rather than maintaining the car as you first learn.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
There are a lot of different ways forward. The best start, IMO, is show up to the track and see what is going on (but contact SCCA/PCA first to make sure you can get it as some events are non-spectator). Walk around, talk to people, see which group fits you best and which classes seem best for you.

From there, it is always better to buy a race car than build one - building is full of expensive surprises. You can get deeper by offering to crew for someone - you will learn a lot of the ins and outs that way if you are not quite yet ready to race.

As far as licensing/experience any path works for some people. Jump into an SCCA school and just go racing is one approach. You can do PCA, which is a more gradual entry. You can do a commercial school like Skippy. All of those can be done with or without a bunch of DEs before you take the bigger step.

You might also consider renting a ride for a while. You can test a class and see if you like it and also really focus on driving, rather than maintaining the car as you first learn.
Good advise here. I'd also suggest considering karts if you are on a budget.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that Mark said it concisely.

The only thing that I can add is that if you decide that you want to try driving on the track, a great way to start is with your local PCA region. There are lots of experienced people there who will be more than happy to advise you (read: talk your ear off). Then you can easily do a PCA event or 2 in your stock 951. There is no pressure to go fast, your stock car will be fine and that way you can see if you really like it for very little investment.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget all that's being said above. All you need is money. Yep, cash.

Look at i.e. J.C. France, do you think he's driving Daytona Prototypes because he has a lot of talent? No, he (or his relatives) have cash and they know people.

You wanna race in Club level? Bring considerable amount of money.
You wanna win in Club level? Bring quite a lot of money and at least some talent.
You wanna race in Rolex series? Bring a lot of money.
You wanna win in Rolex series? Bring a lot of money and quite a lot of talent or if you don't have moeny, a lot of talent.

You wanna race in F1 or ALMS? Bring a big ****ing pile of money and a ton of talent or if you don't have moeny, a huge ****ing pile of talent.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Kapp
I am hoping to get some advice from people who are experienced with the racing world. I would like to get into wheel to wheel racing (scca or pca), but I'm pretty much at square one. ...

...I have an '86 951 that I am considering converting for track duty, so I know that will be a huge project in itself. I might wait a little bit and buy one ready to go. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I started on the path to racing in 1999.

Short version of my Journry.

Starts back in 1966 when my father got a new 912. He lived in New York and went to Lime Rock alot. Then in the early 70's rust go to the car and he sold it and was out of racing for the better part od 25 years.

Next stage was in 1990 or 91. He found a used 87 924S forsale and just had to get it. He wanted to recapture some of that fun Porsche days of his youth. He did street stuff with it only.

Fast forward to 1996. He was driving the to work and got in wreck. Car was totaled, but still had too many good parts to toss. So he kept it. I at this time started looking for a car and got my street 88 944 Turbo S. The PO was a Porsche club Arizona member and we started to get into the PCA. He also met a guy who was tracking 993 TT and they started talking.

So we both started in PCA autocross in 1998 with my first track day in January of 1999. At the time I signed up for a NASA HPDE day with my stock 944 Turbo street car. We both had blast and did more autocrossing and track days as time and money allowed.

What tipped the scales was that old wrecked 924S in my father's backyard. We really want to do something with it. So we found an old beat 84 944 and decided to mix and match the best parts and make a simple stripped out autocross car. By October 2000 we had our autocross car and by Jan 2001 we started tracking it too. Well along they way we decided to add a cage and safety gear. By April 2002 I jumped in and did my first ever race with the PCA. It was fun and nearly 6 years later I am quite happy with the path I took.

In the end I did the following
1) Start in Autocross for basic car control skills (street car)
2) Start in DE 1 for school and first time on the track (street car) - PCA or NASA, etc
3) Work your way up the run groups and learn basic driving skills.
4) Advance to the upper run groups and possibly insctructor.
5) One you are very comfortable on track and have some decient speed apply for a comp school.
6) Make sure you have race legal car and go racing.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Kapp
I am hoping to get some advice from people who are experienced with the racing world. I would like to get into wheel to wheel racing (scca or pca), but I'm pretty much at square one.
Run away screaming, while you can. It may start "cheap", but it's like a heroin addiction...it doesn't stay that way for long. Run away. Really.

What are some things that you didn't expect to encounter?
Large, relatively immovable solid objects. Interesting study in the "conservation of energy" concept. "Mass" tends to get scattered about, in smaller pieces. Also lots of smaller, somewhat mobile solid objects, with engines, tires...and the most unpredictable element: drivers.

I have an '86 951 that I am considering converting for track duty, so I know that will be a huge project in itself.
"First race cars" should be considered "disposable". Thats's what's going to happen to it anyway...might as well start getting used to the idea. Don't race something that you have an emotional attachment to.

Run away...now.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
"First race cars" should be considered "disposable". Thats's what's going to happen to it anyway...might as well start getting used to the idea. Don't race something that you have an emotional attachment to.
Well I am still on my first race car so they can last a long time. However part of the reason I built it 8 years ago with my father was that it was junk POS to start with I wrote it off before I even started driving it. In fact I'd consider that it died before I got it and now is just living in Porsche heaven. What do all Porsche's want to do after they die?... Go to heaven to be a race car of course!

I still have my 944 Turbo S street car. It still has many street miles left on it so rarely sees the track any more. Still one day it to may be "reborn" as track machine...
Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Since you appear to be local - I HIGHLY recommend you come out to Waterford Hills (near Pontiac) this summer for a race or three: www.waterfordhills.com

The 2008 race schedule is there under Information. I will be there every race weekend - come by and say hi! Season starts with Race School last weekend of April, and Race 1 May 3-4th. I'm not sure I'll be at school, but definitely Race 1.

Don't wait until you're ready to spend the cash - the time to learn is now. Find out about classes, etc, then decide what to race.

Even more to the point, there's another way to get involved AND learn about racing, up close and personal - come out and flag!!! Come be a corner worker, you'll have loads of fun, free lunch AND FREE BEER, and learn how things work BEFORE you get behind the wheel. There are two local PCA regions that do track days at the track, too.

As for what car to take to the track - find out if you want to just do lapping days or want to go wheel-to-wheel first. The turbo may not be the best choice if you want to go wheel-to-wheel, particularly in SCCA - you may be better served by a NA 924 or 944, depending largely on your budget. Definitely you'd be better off, financially, buying a built car.

But get to the track first, check out the scenery, learn what's going on out there, then decide where and with whom you wish to play...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Eloquent as always but unfortunately correct. I just completed my first PCA race and it was fantastic...but it took about 12 DE's, a Skip Barber course, a $20k "turnkey" '82 911SC D racecar that required about $25k in upgrades just to make it competitive, safe, and legal, and I then finally got to do my first race weekend. Make sure you got the budget before you step off into the unknown, because once you get hooked, its like heroin and you can't get off. (The only thing that keeps Porsche racing from being the most expensive is Ferrari racing) If you are on a budget the new spec boxster series looks promising.

One thing I will tell you, if your street car is even close to being nice, DON't convert it to a track car...you will ruin its value. If it is already pretty worn, and you need to put money it either for restoration OR track conversion, then that is a different matter.

The last thing I will tell you is that no matter how many DE's or courses you attend, nothing will prepare you for your first race start...it is definitely a "bucket list" experience.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Chicago PCA just held a "New Racer Workshop" for PCA Clubracing on March 8th.

The workshop is over, but I'd bet that if you contact John Ruther he would be willing to send you the materials covered in the class.

You can reach him at 847-304-5515 or at john@northstarmotorsports.com
Old 03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rent a Spec Miata and go play with the others at the SCCA regionals. You'll learn a lot about racing. Then decide if you want to invest in building a car and going both feet in...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spend a few bucks and join either the rennsport or sem region of the pca. Both clubs have very good websites. At the very least you get a great monthly magazine for the cost of admission. As another FNG the one benefit is help checking out how safe your current car is for DE. I have also found the region members a great source of information and support. First DE event is May 8th.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Midwest council has a day at Autobahn that is free that will introduce you to the world of club racing

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...28576115221607
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/Home.html

Quick Reply: Trying to get into racing