Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sebring running commentary thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peugeot 1.368s faster than Audi.... but broke wasting more time.

I'm happy to see Dyson in there since they are far more independent than Penske or the three Acuras.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can all imagine, I'm over the moon!!!

Not only was this the first overall win for Porsche in 20 years, it was also the first overall win at Sebring by a LMP2 car.

It was also the fist win for the 997 EVO in it's maiden race.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now some concerns:
1) The Acuras are very quick and seem to be quicker than the Spyders. They not only set the fastest time during the practices last week. as they had the fastest LMP2 lap time in the race.
Now I'm not sue they are able to maintain that pace lap after lap, but they will improve.
Also - I'm not sure that the Spyders were concerned with setting the fastest laps, as they know what it really takes to win a 12H grueling race.
However, it looks like Porsche need to not only keep a watchful eye, but need to move ahead.

2) The 997 is clearly slower than the F430.
One of the F430 drives (that has also driven the 997's) said that the F430 was the best GT car he has ever driven , and that it felt almost like a "little prototype".
Question: Can Porsche get that type of handling from the 997?
My opinion: Bring on a centrally mounted V8 Carrera GT road car ASAP, if they want to remain competitive in that class.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
As you can all imagine, I'm over the moon!!!

Not only was this the first overall win for Porsche in 20 years, it was also the first overall win at Sebring by a LMP2 car.

It was also the fist win for the 997 EVO in it's maiden race.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now some concerns:
1) The Acuras are very quick and seem to be quicker than the Spyders. They not only set the fastest time during the practices last week. as they had the fastest LMP2 lap time in the race.
Now I'm not sue they are able to maintain that pace lap after lap, but they will improve.
Also - I'm not sure that the Spyders were concerned with setting the fastest laps, as they know what it really takes to win a 12H grueling race.
However, it looks like Porsche need to not only keep a watchful eye, but need to move ahead.

2) The 997 is clearly slower than the F430.
One of the F430 drives (that has also driven the 997's) said that the F430 was the best GT car he has ever driven , and that it felt almost like a "little prototype".
Question: Can Porsche get that type of handling from the 997?
My opinion: Bring on a centrally mounted V8 Carrera GT road car ASAP, if they want to remain competitive in that class.
1) Agreed, +1
2) Not sure yet, but wouldn't mind seeing the V8 "baby" CGT street car, but won't happen any time soon... I'd expect a "small" flat 8 in a 998 (or whatever) before we see a whole new car. Some wish they'd just race a Cayman, but in some respects, that'd be starting all over with aero.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

WHOA, it looks like the #15 Acura was disqualified in a post-race inspection! Porsche Spyders 1-2 overall!?

Who knows more about this? http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4026

EDIT: it looks like the engine was getting air through more than the restrictor (accident? failure or "clever design"?): http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4027

This write-up totally blows off the #15 Acura: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4020

So, Spyders 1-2 and 3 of the top 4. Pretty good!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never good to be listed as "excluded".
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Intake leak sufficient to keep engine running when the restrictor was blocked? I suppose the engine management could correct for a proper A/F(retard ignition timing or more fuel), maybe that could be why their fuel mileage was off (according to the SpeedTV guys). Too bad, because they ran a good race. Congratulations to Penske.
_____
bs
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

What a race. Not as thrilling as last year's finish but I will enjoy these results more.

I'd like to call you attention to my post #17 in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/415674-picks-for-2008-mobil-1-twelve-hours-of-sebring.html

Acura may not have the pace in legal form that they/we thought. That is good news for the Spyders.

Congrats to Roger and Porsche.

Dominic Farnbacher was quoted as saying the Ferraris are like prototypes.

What a bonehead move by Jaime Melo. Effectively ended the competition. We'll have to wait a couple more races to know how competitive the new RSRs are.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK;

Last year I would have punched him out bigtime. Having to share the track with anybody who gets passed CLEAN, and has to hit someone 2-3 times to repass and win is the reason I would have a really tough time being a racer. These guys never get thrown out, but I'm sure I would!

This year I can see he is simply stupid. "What you mean? You mean I no should ignore braking marker, pass 15 car into the hairpin, and blast some stinking Porsche?" No problemo there, Jaime.

Dumbest Driver Currently Alive and Driving on the planet.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
What a race. Not as thrilling as last year's finish but I will enjoy these results more.

I'd like to call you attention to my post #17 in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415674

Acura may not have the pace in legal form that they/we thought. That is good news for the Spyders.

Congrats to Roger and Porsche.

Dominic Farnbacher was quoted as saying the Ferraris are like prototypes.

What a bonehead move by Jaime Melo. Effectively ended the competition. We'll have to wait a couple more races to know how competitive the new RSRs are.
Nice prediction! (looks like post #23 to me, btw)
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
OK;

Last year I would have punched him out bigtime. Having to share the track with anybody who gets passed CLEAN, and has to hit someone 2-3 times to repass and win is the reason I would have a really tough time being a racer. These guys never get thrown out, but I'm sure I would!

This year I can see he is simply stupid. "What you mean? You mean I no should ignore braking marker, pass 15 car into the hairpin, and blast some stinking Porsche?" No problemo there, Jaime.

Dumbest Driver Currently Alive and Driving on the planet.
You gotta be kidding , bone head move , yes , fast driver yes , dumb driver no

Now you need to look at the replay from last year there was equal movement from both parties, hence no penalties .
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Now you need to look at the replay from last year there was equal movement from both parties, hence no penalties .

The Ferrari used the side of the Porsche in lieu of brakes and grip. That was not an attempt at a clean pass and then some "equal movement". The reason there were no penalties is because ALMS recognized that that was the most exciting finish to a 12hr race in history and they weren't going to start handing out penalties.

But hey, that was last year. This year Ferrari will need some breaks to go their way - just like any other race winner.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTurbo965

The Ferrari used the side of the Porsche in lieu of brakes and grip. That was not an attempt at a clean pass and then some "equal movement". The reason there were no penalties is because ALMS recognized that that was the most exciting finish to a 12hr race in history and they weren't going to start handing out penalties.

But hey, that was last year. This year Ferrari will need some breaks to go their way - just like any other race winner.
I can say this year to Melo: "NO POINTS FOR YOU!"

I'm sorry the Farnbacher guys got SCREWED in points, too, not to mention having to fix their car. I hope Melo is put on probation for that...
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Risi Ferrari do not seem to care how they win....I beleive that last years "pass" for the win at Sebring was somewhat dirty....and when I saw him barrell through the cars and hit the Farnbacher Loles car it solidfied my opinion of Melo.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I can say this year to Melo: "NO POINTS FOR YOU!"

I'm sorry the Farnbacher guys got SCREWED in points, too, not to mention having to fix their car. I hope Melo is put on probation for that...
+ 1,000

Melo got away with his cheap trick last year, but showed more clearly this year that he is a consummate ***!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTurbo965

looking at that replay , you can see 2 cars that moved , both drivers moved on each other , there would be no penalties as it could be deemed nothing more than an racing incident , unlike yesterday which was just plain brain fade on melos part ... do you have the replay from another angle there was one that showed more detail from a different angle ...

Quick Reply: Official Sebring running commentary thread