Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow GT3 MSR Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me for asking but how do I see the video? It says its private or something.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MTosi
Forgive me for asking but how do I see the video? It says its private or something.
Not sure if this is the same video as the first post, but this one works tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_dDL4JjaM
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM
MTosi
User

yup that one worked, thanks

edit: I'm an idiot....
Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
fishfrys
8th Gear

So I was the guy in the blue 997 immediately behind this car...

That weekend I had 2 other cars spin directly ahead of me and had one car go by me *real* fast in a brake zone (and on through the grass and almost into a tire wall). With the other two spinners, the cars were obviously squirrelly before the spin -- poor lines, jerky driving, etc. The guy who passed me in the brake zone told me before the session that his brakes were gone -- and, boy were they -- so he probably should have known better than to go out on the track in the first place.

In the case of the gt3, however, the car looked good from the outside. I had been behind them for 4 laps or so and it looked like the car was being driven smoothly and comfortably in control. I didn't expect it to spin, let alone have a crash like it did. For me, that's the most troubling part of the whole thing -- the lack of drama before the accident. It really made it seem like something that could happen to anyone.

Really glad they're both OK.

Best,

Drew
Old 03-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfrys
It really made it seem like something that could happen to anyone.
HELLO
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 AM
jaylopez
3rd Gear

Hello all,
I was the passenger. I'm in pretty good shape now, and thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. I've been doing research on head and neck restraints. Since I need to be able to ride with students who will not necessarily have harnesses, I need something that works with regular belts. I'm going with the Safety Solutions D-cel (www.safetysolutionsracing.com).

In doing my research, I created a mindmap with some info. I'm including it here in the event that someone else might be interested in getting some sort of head and neck restraint. http://trackmashup.com/Documents/Hea...0Restraint.pdf

Thanks again, and stay safe!

Jay Lopez
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Jay, glad you are OK. I like the look of that device. Please post pics and impressions when you get it! It looks like its certified and would also work with my wide padded seatbelts. I like that. I will have to cut off my pads for the HANS or get new belts. I just wonder how long and how hard it is to get on and off. Looks like a good design and more potential for side impact stability than the HANS. Let us know.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
As an instructor it is very important to be ready when a student comes into a corner too hot. We usually know before the student. If it is a safe place to spin or go off let the student learn. If it is a bad location on the track for an off then you should have told the student on the warm up lap not to push it here.
Even the wealthest student would prefer to take their car home in one piece.
Spot on. I have had plenty of times that I was able to read and call one through in real time. The "suprise!" ones, and there are some, there is not enopugh time to call anything other than end game mitigation as the the delays are too great.
Been there done that, got the underwear(s). I will call "hot" calmly and then "listen up!" in a firm voice if I think the student is not going to or able to correct the speed issue. I think this gets the student to listen a little better during an instructor called turn. In my mind when the instructor knows that things are too much something (early, late, hot, off apex) that is the only time the BFI call would be truly on time. As the instructor you are one step ahead of the student. BFI is an important tool for instructors. For BFI to be of value it has to be done by the student without them thinking about it when called. Even when called and reacted to late it has its use. In a non contact spin the car will follow a predictable line as it stops.
One thing not mentioned so far is what to do when a hit is imminent. Get your feet back off the pedals. Riding BFI all the way into the wall = more likely to break them. I tell this to al my students and remind it from time to time. This is something that has to come from their head.
Instructors need to get their hands off the door grips as well.

Glad that the driver and instructor are OK. Am at work and have not seen the vid yet. Did the roof make contact with the roll bar? I hope that some good eye opening and safety additions will come from this.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaylopez
Hello all,
I was the passenger. I'm in pretty good shape now, and thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. I've been doing research on head and neck restraints. Since I need to be able to ride with students who will not necessarily have harnesses, I need something that works with regular belts. I'm going with the Safety Solutions D-cel (www.safetysolutionsracing.com).
[/URL]

Thanks again, and stay safe!

Jay Lopez
Jay, glad to hear you're doing OK. I've been talking about the same thing with other instructors that I know.

It used to be that we were most concerned about having a student show up with a modified SC or Turbo, as these might be the fastest possible cars on the track. But now, the newer cars are fast and PASM bails out poor drivers.

PCA should consider a new policy with repect to speed limits and safety equipment in order to participate.

I tell each student that my life is in their hands, and if I feel unsafe in their car I will be getting out. I then ask them if they understand what I just said. Sober's them up a bit and sets the tone. If it's a Blue Solo or Yellow student, I explain to them all of the steps we should take "when we crash" I do this on the grid and usually make them wait until the other cars have entered the track. Again, it establishes that I'm the guy in control.

When you tell a student about their need to let go of the wheel upon impact and not to curve their thums around the steering wheel, then discuss which bones will break.....they usually begin to listen. I also always show them where I want their hands to be when we roll. That one really gets their attention.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I am becoming somewhat cautious about continuing to instruct.

Great flow chart. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this video still available somewhere?
Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 AM
jaylopez
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kevin135
Is this video still available somewhere?
Thanks
Kevin
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50543693662346
Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jay. That one worked. Looks pretty scary!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

JayLo,

Glad you are ok! BTW, I got to see some pics of the car and it looked like you guys never really landed on the roof. LUCKY!!!!!!

BTW, everyone was asking about you at the DE.

G.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
jaylopez
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by George A
JayLo,

Glad you are ok! BTW, I got to see some pics of the car and it looked like you guys never really landed on the roof. LUCKY!!!!!!

BTW, everyone was asking about you at the DE.

G.
Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to make the next event if I can handle the pressure of the belts on my chest. Hope to see you then.
Jay
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,
I didn't realize you were the passenger. Glad to hear you are ok.
David

Quick Reply: Yellow GT3 MSR Today