Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow GT3 MSR Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rassel, if you are reacting to the back end coming out it's already too late. BTW, at what point do you consider being out of control when the back end starts coming around? Remember, you audience has DE skill sets and it takes place at a DE.

G.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by tfro
I've done the exact same thing trying to get by someone, at that turn. VR was in the passenger seat too. I wonder if he remembers that in his old age.
Yes I remember, you impotent eunuch. However, in that case, the skidmarks were in my pants. That is definitely NOT one of the TWS curbs you can really use!!

Chris, it's even faster when you straighten the wheel sooner than G did & drive across the infield all the way past the apex of 12.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Or a car that has older ABS which will fight you to keep the car steerable.
Geoffrey, I don't get it. My 993 has the older two or three channel (I don't remember) ABS. Does that mean I stay on gas as the car is looping around?

G.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Geoffrey, I don't get it. My 993 has the older two or three channel (I don't remember) ABS. Does that mean I stay on gas as the car is looping around?

G.
Same with my M3. ABS does not dictate my behavior when I run out of talent....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats why you guys are so much faster then me out there. I will have to try in a few weeks when we are down there.

Raptor, George you guys going down? The entry list seems a little light this year...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Well Chris, maybe if I had three cup cars in the family, I might......

Seriously, I've been so busy with work that I haven't had a minute for the car. It's just been siting in the garage. I keep telling myself that I'm going to spend all weekend on it but then something always pops up. Not enough time to get ready for TWS. Hell, I haven't even renewed my license yet.

G.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Come on just throw some rubber on a drive you biotch!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amondc
Damn thats why you guys are so much faster then me out there. I will have to try in a few weeks when we are down there.

Raptor, George you guys going down? The entry list seems a little light this year...
Chris, I have an offer to co-drive a friend's 993-bodied Fabcar in the enduro, but we really don't expect the car's ongoing engine work to be completed in time, so the odds are I won't be there.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rassel, if you are reacting to the back end coming out it's already too late. BTW, at what point do you consider being out of control when the back end starts coming around? Remember, you audience has DE skill sets and it takes place at a DE.

G.
Two feet in, drastically moves the WD forward. Not applicable in all situations.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G.
George, it has everything to do with skill level. A very few drivers can have the car at 90° and be able to save it. Some can catch the car if they can feel it coming soon enough, and others will spin whenever the tail steps out. The point at which each type should go "both feet in" is drastically different.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 02-28-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rassel
Two feet in, drastically moves the WD forward. Not applicable in all situations.
So, as an instructor riding with an intermediate/advanced student, in what situation do you NOT want your student to follow the two feet in rule when they lose control?

BTW, weight distribution is irrelevant when you are spinning. Now if you think you can control the car while it's spinning, you've got more talent than I can ever hope to have.

Would you call this skill or luck? I'm siding with mostly luck.....

http://p993.net/george/SlideWithJohn.wmv

G.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looked pretty good to me George. Nice quick catch, no lift and you didn't hold the correction too long. Probably only cost you a 10th or 2.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
George, it has everything to do with skill level. A very few drivers can have the car at 90° and be able to save it. Some can catch the car if they can feel it coming soon enough, and others will spin whenever the tail steps out. The point at which each type goes "both feet in" is drastically different.
Larry, I fully agree. Although I might replace the term skill with experience. You should go back a couple of pages and read the original comment I was referring to, it was one DE student telling another not to go both feet in.

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Both feet in applies when you are driving off under control. The last thing you want to do in a 911 when the back-end comes around in a corner is hit the brake. While it may work in a front engine car that understeers, it won't work in a 911 with all the weight out back. Hitting the brakes in a corner can turn a slide into a violent spin.

You are supposed put both feet in to drive off safely if you drop a tire(s) off the track or if you know you will not make a turn. Wait to slow down enough to re-enter the track safely. What makes a good driver? A good driver goes off facing forward, not backwards.
Read it again and let me know what you think.......

G.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
spare tire
Racer

It would be nice to see the videos of this incident. Purely for educational purposes. I also have a 996 GT3. How may track days under the belt of the driver?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always thought of it this way...

If the tires are no longer getting the traction I had intended them to have, and the car is no longer pointed in the direction I wanted it to be, I've technically lost control. ("intended them to have" varies by driver skill, so the point of losing control could be different for each person). But once that point is reached for a given driver, the objective is to simply stop the car - on the track, off the track, it doesn't matter; just stop the damn car as quickly as possible. Every other variable is secondary or beyond your imagined skill level.

Given that the priority is to stop... tires that are locked up (or at full ABS) have more traction and stopping power than tires that are rolling. So the fastest way to stop an out of control car is to dis-engage the transmission and fully apply the brake until it comes to a stop. Why does this seem more straightforward to me than the debate makes it out to be?

Quick Reply: Yellow GT3 MSR Today