Sponsored by:

Yellow GT3 MSR Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Both feet in applies when you are driving off under control. The last thing you want to do in a 911 when the back-end comes around in a corner is hit the brake. While it may work in a front engine car that understeers, it won't work in a 911 with all the weight out back. Hitting the brakes in a corner can turn a slide into a violent spin.

You are supposed put both feet in to drive off safely if you drop a tire(s) off the track or if you know you will not make a turn. Wait to slow down enough to re-enter the track safely. What makes a good driver? A good driver goes off facing forward, not backwards.
No argument that it is always better to drive the car off the track rather than spin it off out of control (sideways, backwards, etc) and yes, I'm very familiar with the 911 rear end swap. The scenario I described in my question was where the car has already spun on the track and come to a rest on the track surface (my term 'both feet in') with traffic following behind. But I understand what you are saying.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Both feet in applies when you are driving off under control. The last thing you want to do in a 911 when the back-end comes around in a corner is hit the brake. While it may work in a front engine car that understeers, it won't work in a 911 with all the weight out back. Hitting the brakes in a corner can turn a slide into a violent spin.

You are supposed put both feet in to drive off safely if you drop a tire(s) off the track or if you know you will not make a turn. Wait to slow down enough to re-enter the track safely. What makes a good driver? A good driver goes off facing forward, not backwards.
Both feet in ALWAYS applies!!!!!!!! Especially when you are spinning out of control. The worst thing you can do when back end comes around is not to have both feet in. Do you even understand why you need to have both feet in a spin?

You are obviously not a good driver....

It's scary when someone with intermediate skills (at best) makes this type of comment.

G.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 490 Posts

ya, both feet in is crucial...keeps from ancillary movement...atleast if your both feet in, your heading in the SAME direction off the track...god knows where you end up with the FOOT STILL IN THE THROTTLE>>>>> WHY are people doing this?????

What amazes me is how people think their pride is more important than just having a safe result when an incident occurs...this isnt a ALMS race where Porsche is battling Ferrari for the title...most of these are DE events!

Sorry for the broken commentary, but wow...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Both feet in ALWAYS applies!!!!!!!! Especially when you are spinning out of control. The worst thing you can do when back end comes around is not to have both feet in. Do you even understand why you need to have both feet in a spin?

You are obviously not a good driver....

It's scary when someone with intermediate skills (at best) makes this type of comment.

G.
ABSO-FRIKKING-LUTELY AGREE!!!

Loren, STFU, please.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,408 Posts

yep, both feet in when you know you aint gonna make it. and we usually dont know we aint gonna make it until its too late.

i have had cars gone off in front of me and shot back on track b/c he didn't have both fee in.... it becomes very unpredictable for the car behind the troubled car.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
yep, both feet in when you know you aint gonna make it. and we usually dont know we aint gonna make it until its too late.

i have had cars gone off in front of me and shot back on track b/c he didn't have both fee in.... it becomes very unpredictable for the car behind the troubled car.
Yep. the classic J-hook back across the track when they release the brakes.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

...and 02 carrera's "advice" will lead to this, or worse. It might get someone killed.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good place to practice both feet in is the skidpad. Accept the habit of knowing when it's too late to catch the car. I kept pushing into Oak last year (VIR), until finally looping my car. BFI, nice 360, looked at the flagger, in gear and out of there. If I had tried to save it, I would have either hit the tree or farmed at track out. Throttle will usually hook you right across the track and hit sh*t.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and 02 carrera's "advice" will lead to this, or worse.
You want to see it get REAL ugly, try not going both feet in @ an entrance onto an oval from an infield course(think "Bus Stop" to back straight @ Daytona, infield to back straight @ TMS, "Larry/Moe/Curly to front straight @ TWS) Want to get up close & personal with a wall REAL quick, that's a great way to do it. In fact, I remember a certain Z06 @ TMS a few years ago that........ah, never mind. He might read this

PS: Just thought of a better one: The Kink! There's a great place to play hero! If you want to see your life pass before your eyes, go through there sideways in a cupcar sometime. That's a a definite doo doo moment I don't think I'll try that EVER again!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to pile on....try no 2 feet in mid corner at turn 17 at Sebring. You will DEFINITELY hit something....and hard.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

CODE BROWN !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Just to pile on....try no 2 feet in mid corner at turn 17 at Sebring. You will DEFINITELY hit something....and hard.
eeeeeew! Don't do that to me!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Man I always though it was: you put your left foot in, you put your right foot in and spin it all about.

Last edited by MJHanna; 09-22-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suhweeeet Mark! Great pic!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

...such pretty wildflowers....

Quick Reply: Yellow GT3 MSR Today