Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific Lift Question..Smallest Garage w/lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts
Default Specific Lift Question..Smallest Garage w/lift?

Recentley engaged (Thursday actually) and building a new house with an atached garage as well as a very small detached garage.

My question is this....what is the smallest garage anyone here has a lift, capable of having one car below another, in and what make/model is it?

My need is to be able to store 2 cars (my track 993 and M3 Cab) in one of the garages. I realise i won't have room to work on the car in there nor will I have much room to get in/out of the car but that is ok.

In my research is seems that there are 4 post lifts out there requiring about 9' of width and just under 17' of depth. I am wondering if I can have an interior space of 10' by 18' and be able to use the lift for my intended purpose.

Thanks in advance for your comments and experiences.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to do some math by measuring the two cars you plan to put on it. you also have to look at the lift and if it has locking points that you will have to work with. you can find all the specks you want on lifts at Greg Smiths. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ve...-Lift-s/36.htm
Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Frank.

Ceiling height, I think is the easier of the dimensions to determine. What I am looking for is someone with a small garage...say 10 X 18 with a lift. Tommorow I will call some of the manufaturers and ask them how much side clearance is needed outside of the actual width.

Still hoping for some real world experiences here.

Thanks.

Jamie
Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I have done allot of scrolling over the Greg smith link, you can look at different lifts and then click on "more photos" and they have the all the measurements you want. I would say that if you are looking at a two post or 4 post lift the narrowest is going to be 8 to 9 feet. You could get a lift in it but you would be tight. they also sell a scissor lift which may be the ticket.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jamie, Congratulations! I hope you can still come out and play.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much Scott. I will absolutley be out to play...hope to do the full Schattenbaum schedule this year. Looking forward to introducing Jamie (yes we have the same first name) to the gang this summer.

Was going to make the jump to racing this season but with the new house, a wedding and a few other ***** in the air, I thought that could wait a year. I think the new track(s) 45 minutes from my back door should give me the shot in the arm I need for the next 12 months anyway.

See you on Good Friday?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Jamie-
call Bend Pak and see if they can find you one of their extra narrow lifts. They had a 4 post 9000 lb lift with only 96" from outside of post to post.They told me they no longer make them and they were only popular in Europe, but maybe they still have one somewhere.
I'm purchasing their current narrower lift. It think its foot print is 104"x200" including the ramps. Sounds like you could squeeze it into your bay.
Congrats on the wedding and all that. !!!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark I will give them a buzz and see what is the minimum clearance for their narrow lifts. Still hoping for some real world feedback here.

Thanks for the congrats!

Quick Reply: Specific Lift Question..Smallest Garage w/lift?