Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil1 SuperSyn Oil - Resting on its laurels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Mobil1 SuperSyn Oil - Resting on its laurels?

A chemical engineer I'm acquainted with recently made the following observations regarding a recent reformulation of Mobil1 full synthetic oil suggesting its engine protection properties may have been compromised:

The major antiwear motor oil additive is an organometallic compound, ZDDP or zinc diakyldithiophosphate that also has anti-oxidant properties. The alkyl branch of the molecule can be modified to change its properties like solubility, active temperature range, and the balance between anti-wear and anti-oxidant properties.

Recently the new ILSAC GF-4 specification requires that the phosphorous levels of the oil must be less than 800 ppm of phosphorus. The reason behind this specification is that the ash forming types of ZDDP contain phosphorus, zinc and sulpur which are detrimental for catalytic converter performance and other emission control equipment.

According to Mobil, the engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will suffice to protect both new and older engines. Some consumers are concerned about this specification. They are reporting thrust bearing failures in modified performance engines using Mobil 1 5W-20. For racing and high performance applications, Exxon-Mobil recommends using a Mobil1 oil with a higher level of phosphorus, however they don't indicate which one.
Following Porsche's recommendation, my friend is using Mobil 1 0w40 in a Porsche 996 3.4. Exxon-Mobil claims that this product is fully synthetic. It is a known fact that Mobil 1 contains a polymeric alpha polyolefin base, however it could also contain a Group III Base Oil, but this is only my speculation. According NPRA ( National Petrochemical & Refiners Association) a Group III base oil is classified as a synthetic oil .

Since he wanted to know about the oil's composition he wrote Exxon and received the following response:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations) Mobil 1 uses high-performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAO), along with a proprietary system of additives. In fact, each Mobil 1 viscosity grade uses a specific combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its unique requirement.

Mobil does not disclose specifics regarding our formulation, consumers should focus on product performance not on product formulations.

Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob
So, do you think reformulated Mobil1 oil ain't what it used to be? Should we use a ZDDP oil additive and bypass the catalytic converter, or is "oil just oil"?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno, but I switched my RSA from Mobil 1 to Swepco 306 at the advice of my mechanic based on the ZDDP issue. I figure better safe than sorry. My only real concern now is whether I should do the same with my street driven BMW M Coupe or continue Mobil 1 in it.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
So, do you think reformulated Mobil1 oil ain't what it used to be?
I thought this had been fairly common knowledge for 2-3 years now? We haven't used Mobil1 in YEARS. We now run strictly Motul for most every liquid in the car (save fuel and water).
Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

there's a huge thread over on the pelican BBS. Basically it coincides with the change from SL to SM as the industry standard. It's an SM thing not a Mobil1 thing. There are some oils that have higher ZDDP than others. That thread will take you through it.

Mobil1 does make a V-twin motorcycle oil that has sufficient ZDDP. Many air cooled guys are using that blend.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=367300
Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Water?
Yes Bull, they use that to wash the track down on occasion...
Old 02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes Bull, they use that to wash the track down on occasion...
Oh, I thought maybe his car leaked in the rain.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Water?
Drink bottle.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Water?
We fill our tires with it.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
there's a huge thread over on the pelican BBS. Basically it coincides with the change from SL to SM as the industry standard. It's an SM thing not a Mobil1 thing. There are some oils that have higher ZDDP than others. That thread will take you through it.

Mobil1 does make a V-twin motorcycle oil that has sufficient ZDDP. Many air cooled guys are using that blend.
Monster thread, but I got through it all and reached the conclusion that the SM thing is specific to the 0W-40 grade version of Mobil1 that Porsche now recommends and fills new cars with from the factory.

I guess this is a non issue for me, since I use the 5W-50 Rally Formula version that Mobil1 sells in Europe and Canada, which is SL and CF rated, not SM. Thanks for the link to that thread!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I gotta tell ya', unless you are trying to go 7500 miles between oil changes, if you change oil and filter every 5000 miles I don't think it really matters a lot as to what brand of synthetic motor oil you run. Its much more important to keep it clean and topped off to the proper levels so it can do its job IMHO.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by srf506
I gotta tell ya', unless you are trying to go 7500 miles between oil changes, if you change oil and filter every 5000 miles I don't think it really matters a lot as to what brand of synthetic motor oil you run. Its much more important to keep it clean and topped off to the proper levels so it can do its job IMHO.
I would agree if we were anywhere other than the Racing/DE forum.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I just made the commitment to start using Redline 10W-40 in all of my cars.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I would agree if we were anywhere other than the Racing/DE forum.
+1

Quick Reply: Mobil1 SuperSyn Oil - Resting on its laurels?