Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil1 SuperSyn Oil - Resting on its laurels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Wink

RL 10w40...A wise choice Mark!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
RL 10w40...A wise choice Mark!
Thanks for all of your help, Brant.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that in a racing app it'd be even less of an issue because you change your oil a lot more than a stock car. If you're trying to run the whole season on one change I'd be worried, but I've always changed the oil, flushed the lines with safety clean, and put on a new filter between every visit to the track. The only motor failures I ever encountered in competition were the "good and plenty" car blew a cylinder from overheating (we were running Valvoline at that time) and we dropped a valve on the 3.6l 911 once, both at Daytona. The burnt cylinder was with about an hour and a half to go and the valve went like 4 or five hours into the race. The 911 was running Mobil 1, and that was about 1993 or 4. The mid-engine was due to us not having figured out the issues with air flow to keep the mid-engined car cool equally across all 6-cylinders.

I'd think if you got up-to-date surface treatments on the tappets and rods they wouldn't be a major issue, hopefully you've chamfered your bearing edges in order to hold the oil there, and the rings and pistons are good. If all of that's up to snuff I don't think you'd have an issue running Mobile 1 syn.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flush with safety kleen???? How do you ensure you get it all out? Even a few drops of that stuff would be a bad thing in your oil. Plus when you run it through an oily system it's sticking to the walls, blending with whatever oil residue is left, etc.

Do you ever closely measure the in volume versus the out volume to see how much you left in there?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, and we hung em for two or three days to let the stuff evaporate/dry out of the hoses before we re-used them. Never seemed to give us a problem.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 SuperSyn Oil - Resting on its laurels?