Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a lift in their garage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I went with a 4 post lift with the ramps . My ceiling is like 12 feet.
got the lift from Pace tools 1,700 .installed it with 2 friends in about 3-4 hours .
When fully extended up theres feet of space under it .I felt more comfortable with a 4 post.I sure 2 posta are just fine .i use mine mostly for storage .I must say it bings a new concept to keeping my cars clean,nevr have to bend over again.
Put heated floors in as well as heat and A/C. I spend hours in the garage.
NOW ALL I NEED IS SOME PROPER GARAGE CABINETS AND A TIRE RACK ANY IDEAS WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL??
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Sears has a nice product line from "Stack-ON" that I really like. They're powdercoated black and made of metal with adjustable shelves. You can get them in a couple of different configurations.

My goal was to have as little as possible on the floor that wasn't attached to wheels so it could be rolled out. We're very pleased with the way our shop turned out.
Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 FT. should be plenty take a look at some lifts and go from that. I am in the process of planning a detached two car garage/shop and 12 feet will accommodate a tall 2 post lift.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ve...Lifts-s/37.htm
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
12 FT. should be plenty take a look at some lifts and go from that. I am in the process of planning a detached two car garage/shop and 12 feet will accommodate a tall 2 post lift.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ve...Lifts-s/37.htm
When we checked manufacturers we found the height difference was substantial between companies, ranging 11.2 - 13.6ft. clearance required.

Mike
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 AM
late apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This brings to mind something stupid that I did. I have a two story garage and I bought a 15' tall lift and put a ramp on it so that I could raise a car all the way up through a hole in the floor to the second story. The custom lift came and we installed it and I pressed the up button, waiting to see the car go up through the hole. The car only went up 6' . In looking at the lift, I quickly determined that due to the lengths of the rams, the car would never be able to go any higher.
I called up the lift manufacturer claiming that I had been ripped off. I asked why they would make a 15' tall lift that only went up 6' and he asked me "How tall is your mechanic "? The lift was for vans and such...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

All great set ups. I went a slightly different direction since I do not do hard core mechanicals on my car I installed a brake lift that raises the car approximately 4 feet so I can change suspension, brakes, etc. Space/storage was not a consideration as I have it in my warehouse.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 AM
db944
Rennlist Member

I use a four post lift and regularly remove the wheels on the car that I'm working on. It is a bit of a pain, but considering the need for both "stacking" and working on the cars, it works out fine.

My ceiling height is limited. 9' 8" IIRC. But it gets the car up high enough to comfortably do everything from rod bearings, clutch, exhaust, etc.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a garage with a 9.6" foot ceiling height. The 3rd bay is a tandem so no garage door to worry about. I have calcuated I could just barely fit my lower 944 race car over my 944 Turbo. I don't believe I have space to put my 530 E39 under there however. I have yet to put in a lift and may never do so, but I have calucated out what I may take. That was done assuming a 4 post lift with a carefull eye on space requirements. If I needed to work on the car with a lift I think a mid rise would work much better for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Ho do you arrange your garage door tracks to not interfere with the cars on the lifts
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Azikara
Instructor

Ho do you arrange your garage door tracks to not interfere with the cars on the lifts
Now there's a great question. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
I have a Liftmaster Jackshaft lift and it pulls the garage door straight up along the roofline. The garage door opener itself mounts to the garage door shaft on the wall next to the garage door. I don't have a good picture right now,but you can see from this one that there isn't an opener anywhere in view. I'll get a couple shots tonight and post them as I am quite happy with the set-up.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the best decisions I ever made was to install a lift (I basically designed the garage around the lift):

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Azikara
Now there's a great question. Any ideas?
Industrial door openers with tracks that follow the contour of the ceiling... (see my pics above)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Industrial door openers with tracks that follow the contour of the ceiling... (see my pics above)
Will they still work with the remote? Also how thick of a floor do you need to support a 2 post lift? Or four post for that matter?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
Will they still work with the remote? Also how thick of a floor do you need to support a 2 post lift? Or four post for that matter?
The Liftmaster Jackshaft unit like I have is for residential applications:
http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...lJackshaft.htm

It works like the commecial openers, but has all the residential features. Mine has memory remotes, a motion sensor for the lights, electronic door locks and the wall mounted button has the time and garage temp on it. Mine also came with a battery back-up so it will still work when the power goes out.

On the concrete, it varies by lift manufacturer/style. For my 10,000lb 2 post rotary it is 3,000psi and 4 1/2inches deep.

Quick Reply: Who has a lift in their garage?