Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input from the track masters.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008 | 11:47 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Rick, in all honesty I want to get faster to all the tracks I have attended:
NHIS, LRP, WGI, LCMT and Calabogie.....
I think a pro would set me up with the basic skills that can be applied to every track.

Lewis, I was looking to the GX2 for the upcoming season......
BTW, are ever going to take that Cup Car of yours out again? Is this the year?

Last edited by BostonDMD; 02-02-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Larry, I was looking to the GX2 for the upcoming season......
BTW, are ever going to take that Cup Car of yours out again? Is this the year?
No, I'm afraid this isn't the year and neither is next year. The Cup car will have to endure nothing but waxing, detailing and an occasional "lap of the neighborhood" for the next couple of years due to my son's karting.
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:43 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am hoping the sticky tires will give me more confidence in the downhill section
sticky tires won't give you more confidence, or at least they shouldn't. The only thing they will give is you more grip (and speed). You are probably at the limit of the street tires, so you don't have the confidence in the fast sections since a small mistake can have a big result. When you get to the limit of sticky tires, you will be going faster, and probably have less confidence. My advice would be to slow down a tiny bit through that section and get the line down now, not when you're going faster.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I dont think you give the Hoosiers enough credit, I think you'll get more than 2 seconds if the tires you are running now arent R comps at all and just plain ole street rubber.

Other than the lines that have been mentioned before you may want to check your alignment, a high speed cornering track like that may just require more negative camber. Maybe a little toe out since you dont have to use the brakes all that much. That will help with cornering speeds.
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I dont think you give the Hoosiers enough credit, I think you'll get more than 2 seconds if the tires you are running now arent R comps at all and just plain ole street rubber.

Other than the lines that have been mentioned before you may want to check your alignment, a high speed cornering track like that may just require more negative camber. Maybe a little toe out since you dont have to use the brakes all that much. That will help with cornering speeds.
I hope you are right on the Hoosiers, also my alignment and negative camber have been softned (from what Rocketman was running) when I put the street tires on....
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I hope you are right on the Hoosiers, also my alignment and negative camber have been softned (from what Rocketman was running) when I put the street tires on....
I am right, Hoosiers are more than 2 seconds faster than any non R compound tire. In fact they are almost 2 seconds faster than some R compound tires. Some of the new grip you will get naturally, and some you have to push the limits to get.

It makes sense that the car is slower with less negative camber, that camber really helps on high speed cornering (low speed too). Good Luck getting to your goals as far as time are concerned. Just dont start trying too hard.
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Sjanes, are you going to be attending LCMT in August and Calabogie in Sept. with Rennsport?
If so, maybe we can hook up and you can show me a thing or two in those great Canadian tracks.......
Old 02-02-2008 | 07:46 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
I realize I don't drive (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but there are as many lines thru Big Bend as there are stars in the sky.

Ron S showed me a line thru Big Bend is which almost opposite of what you described and it was much faster....a bit more difficult, but definitely faster.
The are lot of lines, but only one fast one. Watch ALMS or Grand Am. You basically want to be as tight inside as the car will allow. Shorter distance = faster. The drifting to the middle is the DE slow line. Keep it all the way inside the concrete and you'll crush people there.

I see 3 things in basically all turns. #1, you never use the apex or track curbing. You have to use all the race track to be fast. #2, you are always late on the gas...its a freaking Carerra with no power...stomp on it man! #3, you don't trail brake. You have to trail brake if you ever want to run a 1:01. The first 1/2 of Big Bend should be a braking adventure. You are coasting down to the first apex. Instead, you should still be braking hard when you are there and not transition to the gas until after you are under the bridge.
Old 02-02-2008 | 08:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Paolo, not to single you out, but after seeing your video, you are the classic case of an aggressive driver with some skills want to and being allowed to advance too quickly. You have not learned the basics, and now you are trying to push to get speed, instead of driving properly to get speed. If you were my white student, and I have had a few like you, we would start over from the begining.

As others have mentioned, you are doing a lot of coasting, and are apexing most turns too early. That is causing you to keep the car on a constant radius at a constant throttle, waiting to get on the gas. You are also not using all of the track especially in the up-hill, and unless there are mitigating circumstances, wider arcs are faster.

As an example, in Big Bend, you are just cruising around looking for the apex. You are probably losing 1.5 seconds in that turn alone. I felt that I was fastest when I double apexed that turn, becasue it flattens out in the middle, and then really tightens up again. What I would do was to brake and turn-in early, still on the brakes, and carry them into the first (early) apex. Then I would floor it, and drive across the flatter part of the turn to the outside of the track. Then I would brake again, and late apex the exit part so that I could get right back on the gas to accelerate up to the left-hander.

I found that that line worked in my 914 and my 3.2 Carrera. It should work in your car too.

So my advice? Slow down, and take later apexes so that you can put down the power as early as possible...way before the apex. Once you have that, then try apexing a little earlier until you are running out of road. Now you have found your apex points. Then work on compressing your braking, and getting to the turn-in point as fast as possible. Do that, and you are well on your way to 1:01s.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Colin, thanks for the candid input.....

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Paolo, not to single you out, but after seeing your video, you are the classic case of an aggressive driver with some skills want to and being allowed to advance too quickly. You have not learned the basics, and now you are trying to push to get speed, instead of driving properly to get speed. If you were my white student, and I have had a few like you, we would start over from the begining.
So Larry, how do I sign up for your region Green group and get you for my instructor?
Joking aside, I appreciate your comments and advice, I will work hard on them and hope to meet you and Colin one day....
Old 02-02-2008 | 08:29 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

There is some really good advice on this thread for anyone who drives LRP.

BTW Paolo, get Jimmilew in your right seat at LRP. He did a low 1:01 in a G car and that is smoking.

Colin is spot on about big bend. I made a big jump in lap times when I started feeling like there was no way I'd make the first apex of big bend.
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:19 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
There is some really good advice on this thread for anyone who drives LRP.

BTW Paolo, get Jimmilew in your right seat at LRP. He did a low 1:01 in a G car and that is smoking.

Colin is spot on about big bend. I made a big jump in lap times when I started feeling like there was no way I'd make the first apex of big bend.
Sean, I am buying Jimmilew lunch and pick his brain as soon as he gets back from Sebring....... God only knows when I will be able to get him in my car at LRP .....

Which club races are you doing this year? Are you attending the HCR advanced event at the WGI in May?
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:59 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

1. big bend .think angles .your transition from gas to braking is to abrupt .you need to ease off the brake sloweras you carry your speed to the apex . lift turn and back on the gas . remember once you hit the apex the turn is over ,unwind the wheel .you line looks ok going thru big bend ,but you need to change your angle of attack going in and carry more speed ,but most importantly is to be smooth with all your inputs and use your vision.LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO,DONH'T TILT YOUR HEAD ,ALL YOUR BALANCE IS IN YOUR EARS. It also seems that your car has understeer,this can slow you down as well. when you put the hoosiers on and still have under steer make a change to the rear sway bar.always go to the opposite end of the fix handling problems.
keep using the middle of the track on the up hill .
To go faster ,don't use your brakes ,they only slow you down!!
Seriously you need to sgo slow to go fast,vison smoothness ,line and focus.
You have to drive every segment of every turn at the limit .
simple answer ,get a great not a good coach .
everyone will give you some insight ,too much will only make you second guess everything you do.
Stick with 1 or 2 coaches /instructors
Its about doing all the little things perfectly,kinda like dentistry
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
keep using the middle of the track on the up hill .
To go faster ,don't use your brakes ,they only slow you down!!
Seriously you need to sgo slow to go fast,vison smoothness ,line and focus.
You have to drive every segment of every turn at the limit .
simple answer ,get a great not a good coach .
everyone will give you some insight ,too much will only make you second guess everything you do.
Stick with 1 or 2 coaches /instructors
Its about doing all the little things perfectly,kinda like dentistry
Ron, the middle of the track on the uphill, as the line thru Big Ben I learned from our session together.... even though I am far from doing it right.......

As far as the coaches/instructors........ do you have any time to spare?

I hope you don't mind if I call you from time to time to get some advice.....This kid needs all the help he can get......

BTW, thanks for taking the time to watch the video and comment......

GO PATRIOTS.....
Old 02-03-2008 | 10:53 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

sure thats fine .
I will be racing in 2 other venues this season as well .Won't be at many DE'S .
The only de I know I will be at is Mt TREMBLANT IN AUG, WITH RENNSPORT.

Quick Reply: Looking for input from the track masters.....