Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input from the track masters.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008 | 10:51 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Paolo,

Lets meet for lunch after I get back from Sebring. You can tell me how you like your trailex and I'll give you hints to go faster (once you are on Hoosiers).

JL
Old 02-01-2008 | 10:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Paolo,

Lets meet for lunch after I get back from Sebring. You can tell me how you like your trailex and I'll give you hints to go faster (once you are on Hoosiers).

JL
Done deal Jimmy......

Good luck at Sebring......
Old 02-01-2008 | 11:20 PM
Doc V.
Racer

You turn in too early for the Lefthander, a decreasing radius turn, and you turn in too late for The Uphill, an increasing radius turn.

Brake later before you enter the Lefthander, and use some trail-braking to get the car to rotate in the Lefthander. Your cornering speed should increase as the car rotates, and consequently your exit speed in the Lefthander will improve. That speed improvement will translate into higher speeds on No Name Straight, through the Uphill, West Bend, and the Downhill, and on to the Main Straight.

Sean's analysis of your line in the Uphill is spot on: you can add steering past the apex, and you should use all of the track at track-out.

Old 02-02-2008 | 12:53 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

My advice if you want to go faster is get a competion licence and go racing. I ran DE's for a few years and thought I knew how to drive, first lap of my first race I realized I didn't know anything about driving fast. I'm sure there are plenty of DE guys that have the skill to drive fast. I just never got motivated until I was going fender to fender.
Phil
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:26 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

For Big Bend, you're braking too early and turning in too late. Start your turn-in at 300-200 and trail brake to the first apex. Then let the car drift out in the middle of the corner. Instead, you're way to the inside of the patches in the middle of the corner. Because you're too far inside, when you try to get on the gas at the exit of the corner, the tires are squeeling. If you were farther outside at mid-turn, it would widen the 2nd half of the turn and allow greater exiting speed.

And too much braking/coasting at West Bend, and you're turning in early there too.
Old 02-02-2008 | 08:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
My advice if you want to go faster is get a competion licence and go racing. I ran DE's for a few years and thought I knew how to drive, first lap of my first race I realized I didn't know anything about driving fast. I'm sure there are plenty of DE guys that have the skill to drive fast. I just never got motivated until I was going fender to fender.
Phil
+ ∞
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:26 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to watch the video and provide their analysis of what I should do to become faster.....

I truly appreciate your comments..... I will definetly apply them this upcoming season.....
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:00 AM
late apex
Instructor

I thought you did real well. Very consistant and you don't saw the wheel.
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
And too much braking/coasting at West Bend, and you're turning in early there too.
You can see he's tracking way out on exit, which is fine, but it's not because he's carrying speed it's because of the early apex. In my car, if all is well, I hit 6200 in 3rd at the flag station and short shift (I normally shift at 6800 or so at LRP) into 4th for the downhill, flat to the floor, lift-turn-back to the floor for the main straight. Nor sure how that translates in a chipped 3.2 Carerra..
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:31 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You can see he's tracking way out on exit, which is fine, but it's not because he's carrying speed it's because of the early apex. In my car, if all is well, I hit 6200 in 3rd at the flag station and short shift (I normally shift at 6800 or so at LRP) into 4th for the downhill, flat to the floor, lift-turn-back to the floor for the main straight. Nor sure how that translates in a chipped 3.2 Carerra..
I am hoping the sticky tires will give me more confidence in the downhill section; west bend I was playing with left foot braking, obviously too much.....

If I eventually reach 1:01s I would be ecstatic.......
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:36 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Buy some time from a pro instructor in your car; you will get faster more quickly and more safely.
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:43 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Buy some time from a pro instructor in your car; you will get faster more quickly and more safely.
Like at the HCR advanced event at WGI in May?
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:51 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep; but since you want to get faster at LRP, find an event that lets you hire a pro instructor (I don't know of one, but there must be some opportunity).
Old 02-02-2008 | 11:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
For Big Bend, you're braking too early and turning in too late. Start your turn-in at 300-200 and trail brake to the first apex. Then let the car drift out in the middle of the corner. Instead, you're way to the inside of the patches in the middle of the corner. Because you're too far inside, when you try to get on the gas at the exit of the corner, the tires are squeeling. If you were farther outside at mid-turn, it would widen the 2nd half of the turn and allow greater exiting speed......
I realize I don't drive (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but there are as many lines thru Big Bend as there are stars in the sky.

Ron S showed me a line thru Big Bend is which almost opposite of what you described and it was much faster....a bit more difficult, but definitely faster.
Old 02-02-2008 | 11:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Paolo,
Skip the lap timer (never owned one, never will), IMHO you don't need one, if you drive a proper line with smoothness and consistency, the lap times will fall (if your desire is to simply drop lap times).
You'll immediately recognize this since you are no longer giving passing signals but waiting for others in your familiar group to give you one.

Professional instruction is always an excellent idea.
Even better is an onboard DAQ where the pro can teach you how to read it, visualize mistakes and do your own debrief.

Quick Reply: Looking for input from the track masters.....