Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do they do to make a Koni car into a Rolex car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do they do to make a Koni car into a Rolex car?

It looks like several drivers are doing both the Koni race and the Rolex race. I'm assuming that in the case of teams like TRG and other teams running 997's, they are using the same car. What do they have to do to convert it back and forth?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Add cubic dollars.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Impossible, the Koni is a 997 Carrera road car and the Rolex is a GT3 cup.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

They are not the same car by any means. Others can cover the details much better than I.

Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Add cubic dollars.
Nice sign in the avatar!

To answer the question posted,
The deal is the drivers like Scott Schroeder are actually driving two races in 2 different cars. In this scenario, Scott and Andy Lally (co-driving) will race a TRG Porsche 997 Carrera Grand Am Koni Challenge (aka Grand Am Grand Sport) car built by TRG on Saturday. Then Saturday afternoon, Andy and Scott will each drive Grand AM Rolex (aka Grand Am Grand Touring) cars built by Porsche Motorsport and operated by TRG.

Remove driver, insert into different car and run an a different race during the same event weekend.

Since 1 sanctioning body will sanction and run 1-5 series at a given track on one race weekend, some drivers like Schroeder run multiple race series but remain at the same location for the entire event. Sometimes sanctioning bodies team up for a weekend too, example Grand Am and IRL.

So yes the cars are different, drivers are the same. It's a logistics battle as much as an auto race, more transporters, crew, tools, parts, etc. Execution is key. TRG can seriously execute.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Man am I confused...I am going over to Daytona Saturday morning to watch some of the race. I hope to be able to buy a pit pass to see the car in the garages. How can you tell the difference in these 997 cars by looks?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to quickly tell the difference from afar...check out the wing on the back, the super tall one with the skinny aluminum uprights is a Motorsport Cup Car built for GA (GrandAm), and the shorter thicker wing assembly will denote the GS cars.

If you'd like the VIP tour find TRG, ask for Jason Myers or Eric Wildt when you get there. Tell them Austin says hi and you'd like to get a tour of the operation.

It should be open pits but not open hot pits. You'll have free access, bring your comfortable walking shoes.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Nice sign in the avatar!

Thanks. My mom took that picture of me in Fredericksburg, Texas (relatively near where I live) right before my first season in Cup.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

to quickly tell the difference from afar...check out the wing on the back, the super tall one with the skinny aluminum uprights is a Motorsport Cup Car built for GA (GrandAm), and the shorter thicker wing assembly will denote the GS cars.

If you'd like the VIP tour find TRG, ask for Jason Myers or Eric Wildt when you get there. Tell them Austin says hi and you'd like to get a tour of the operation.

It should be open pits but not open hot pits. You'll have free access, bring your comfortable walking shoes.
thanks...yes I understand no open hot pits but the garage area would be super cool. Short pants OK?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Execution is key. TRG can seriously execute.
Execute all those involved with all Nascar all the time on Speed please.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: What do they do to make a Koni car into a Rolex car?