Sponsored by:

DE tire excessive edge wear question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
techno99: Exact same thing happened to one of my friends with his E46 M3 on Dunlop Super Sport Race tires. The photo below is of his tire; it blew out with a bang on the front straight of Sebring, was pretty dramatic. If you like, I can forward him this thread so he can shed some light on the situation.

You guys drive in shorts on the track?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
techno99
Racer

Some PCA regions allow shorts.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM
techno99
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
techno99: Exact same thing happened to one of my friends with his E46 M3 on Dunlop Super Sport Race tires. The photo below is of his tire; it blew out with a bang on the front straight of Sebring, was pretty dramatic. If you like, I can forward him this thread so he can shed some light on the situation.

Atleast he made it down to the wear bars before his tire blew. If you look at mine, most of the tire is nowhere near the wear bar. I checked my alignment today and got the following:
Right Front Camber: -1.1 deg
Left Front Camber: -1.2 deg
Front Toe: 1/16" Total Toe In
Right Rear Camber: -1.8 deg
Left Rear Camber: -2.2 deg
Rear Toe: 3/16" Total Toe In
It was the left rear that was the blown tire. As previously stated, the other 3 tires showed no unusual wear. Would the above alignment cause my tire issue or was the tire defective?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

i dont know what it is about BMWs, but thats where mine wear on my e46 street car. way out on the inside edge. toe is near 0 and camber is less than .25 degrees. so, i burn through tires like this , way before their time.

the porsche front on the first post, is probably due to just a soft suspension. no camber changes will be able to counteract a soft street suspension that rolls over on the tire like that.

mk

Originally Posted by techno99
Atleast he made it down to the wear bars before his tire blew. If you look at mine, most of the tire is nowhere near the wear bar. I checked my alignment today and got the following:
Right Front Camber: -1.1 deg
Left Front Camber: -1.2 deg
Front Toe: 1/16" Total Toe In
Right Rear Camber: -1.8 deg
Left Rear Camber: -2.2 deg
Rear Toe: 3/16" Total Toe In
It was the left rear that was the blown tire. As previously stated, the other 3 tires showed no unusual wear. Would the above alignment cause my tire issue or was the tire defective?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey
i had the same prob except only 2 track days and 3k miles...corded the outside tires...have been tracking for some time and am pretty aggressive...i went to the dealer and they "maxed out " the neg camber to about 1.2 front which actually really helped alot...need to get gt3 control arms to get more.
also I want to move to R compounds and 18's but apparently many of the r compound tires require a lot of camber to work well (r-888 ra1) so until i decide to spend the money on the gt3 control arms, may just stick to pilot cups....i want to be able to drive to track...
so give the dealer a call and see how much camber he can give you (he said it is the stock gt3 settings that i have now which is still set up for understeer...)
since the minor change in camber, much less outer tire wear...

good luck
mk
Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
may just stick to pilot cups....i want to be able to drive to track...
18" (real) Michelin cups are BAD BAD BAD in the rain.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Ive been racing on RA1s for a long time. still driving to the track, and they dont require a lot of negative camber. (i have 91 race days on the same car, with settings of 1.6 degree front and 2 degree rear, with times of 1:39 at Laguna seca and 2:01 at thunderhill, and i burn up the inside 1/4 area, normal by racing standards. at 1 degree they would burn up evenly) Those settings are something the tire companyies say, so that they can address what usually happens with a car fitted with stock suspension going to an R compound. (i.e. more body roll, tire gets the outside edge cooked!)

suspension setting depend on a lot of factors, all of which change with different spring, shocks, swaybar and driving style.

a lot of what is seen at DEs , is this kind of shoulder tear up. Usually, it is due to most cars in DEs that are heavy, are not set up right, and probably have too much air pressure, so the fronts PUSH real bad! The unskilled driver, tends to just laugh with their passengers as the fronts push around long turns like turn 2 at thunderhill, where the car follows a tact around the turn, almost regardless of the tire turn angle. (ie even at full lock, it will push around a medium speed turn) if the tires are turned in too far, the outside edge gets the brunt of the damage. driving around this issue , means that you use less turn, and more throttle steer, or just turn to the point that the car maximizes its turing ability, and no farther.

mk

Originally Posted by mkk62
hey
i had the same prob except only 2 track days and 3k miles...corded the outside tires...have been tracking for some time and am pretty aggressive...i went to the dealer and they "maxed out " the neg camber to about 1.2 front which actually really helped alot...need to get gt3 control arms to get more.
also I want to move to R compounds and 18's but apparently many of the r compound tires require a lot of camber to work well (r-888 ra1) so until i decide to spend the money on the gt3 control arms, may just stick to pilot cups....i want to be able to drive to track...
so give the dealer a call and see how much camber he can give you (he said it is the stock gt3 settings that i have now which is still set up for understeer...)
since the minor change in camber, much less outer tire wear...

good luck
mk

Quick Reply: DE tire excessive edge wear question