Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All I Need To Know About Fuel Cells?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All I Need To Know About Fuel Cells?

I just got a new car and it has a Fuel Safe Fuel Cell. I know nothing about Fuel Cells. Will you guys enlighten me a little?

How do they differ from gas tanks?
Advantages? Disadvantages?
Precautions?
Filling Issues, if any?
Maintenance?
Etc.?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used one. All I really know about them is that the bladder has to be replaced every so often. I might be 10 years but wait to hear from some of the guys with fuel cell experience.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five years according to ATL.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If you don't know how old the foam is you should replace it. It can break down and cause fuel delivery problems.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

How do they differ from gas tanks?
THe main difference is that wiith a good brand (Fuel Safe is a good one) and properly installed, they are more resistent to rupture in an accident.

Advantages? Disadvantages?
For a race car, I can't think of any disadvantages.

Precautions?
It's pretty obvious, but if the filler is in your front trunk, just be careful when filling the car so you don't spill gas all over the place. If you plan to use fuel jugs, use a funnel or get a flexible hose to put on the top of your fuel jugs.

Filling Issues, if any?
See above.

Maintenance?
As mentioned in the other post, replace the foam periodically. It distegrates over time, and can clog your fuel system. As for replacing the cell or bladder, it really depends on what kind you have. I know ATL used to recommend either 5 or 10 ten year usable lifespan depending on the model. Check with Fuel Safe to be sure.

Etc.?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably the last guy that needs to comment. But, when I asked the same questions I was told that the fuel cell eliminated a lot of the fuel movement, so it keeps the car more stabilized when racing/de'ing.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A base stock fuel cell purchased from ATL or Fuel Safe might not be sufficient. You need to ensure that there is either proper baffling inside, or that there is a surge tank inside with pre pumps. This allows you to use all of the fuel. That is generally an option and configured to the user's demand. A good example is a 17 gallon Fuel Safe cell for a C2. The stock tank will begin to uncover the sump under braking with 7 gallons left.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
97C2s911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do know that if it's a new fuel cell you need to have an inline fuel filter and watch it the first time out mine clogged up twice the first weekend with small foam particles after that no problems
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

My Fuel Safe FC is not new. How do I confirm if baffling and or a surge tank is inside? Visable through fill fill opening?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Fuel Safe, Premier and ATL generally use either 4x6 or 6x10 oval apertures that allow maintenance/access to the high pressure pump, lift pumps aka transfer pumps if used, collector pot (again, if used), check ***** / trap doors and foam.

First thing I would do is remove the bladder to inspect it for evidence of chaffing or worn spots. These bags, irregardless of specified material (FT3, FT3.5 or FT5) do wear and can leak from such wear. Also inspect the sock filter on the high pressure pump. Same for all lines and fittings and electrical pass-through wiring.

Second - strongly consider replacing the foam. Like mentioned above, it does eventually deteriorate and will be a nightmare once it start to. Before loading new foam, some folks like to rinse with gasoline to flush out the dust, dirt, and loose foam particles. A messy job indeed.

If you are ordering parts for it, get new cork gaskets for the nut ring / cover plate. Maybe order a few spares.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

To the OP, there was a thread that I started a few months back on this subject - Search for Fuel Cells on this forum only.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone want to comment on the relative merits of fuel pumps in cell vs. outside cell?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

The thread Brendan referenced is a good one. What it does not get at are very basics.

I'm having the Cell checked out at J3. They can confirm proper operation, condition of foam inserts, etc.

Do I just pour fuel in the top opening? Any issues with quantity, i.e. fill to top? Correct amount of gallons?
Any special precautions when filling?
I will be trailering the car to events where I will not have professional support so I want the get the mechanics down before hand.

Quick Reply: All I Need To Know About Fuel Cells?