Sponsored by:

Portable air for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Portable air for the track?

I have been trying to find the best solution for portable air to the track. I just bought a Husky combo air pump and battery jumping system (basically charge a major battery and it will pump air and provide electricity for awhile). It was horrible as it took forever to put air in the tire (I am reluctantly getting more and more impressed with the Porsche supplied pump - 997S).

My next thought is an aluminum air tank. Discovery parts has recommended one and stated it will hold air for a number of months and have plenty of air to add air back to the tires after a track event. Plus it is nice and light.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Longacre aluminum tank with gauge, and it holds air for quite a while. Most tracks have compressors for refills.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen 2 approaches used:
1. Scuba tank (aluminum)
2. Small (steel) gas bottle from a welding supply house
3. Small aluminum air tank (Trick Tank) with hose, you can fill it before you leave and (re)fill it at the track from an available air supply if necessary

I have #2, an 80 cubic foot, about 3' tall', nitrogen tank (80cu ft is the largest you can legally buy/own here in MA, anything bigger and you have ot rent/lease). 2000 psi of nitrogen, cost is about $20 for a tank refill, bought the tank and regulator and hose for about $250 IIRC.
It's primarily used for the airjacks (300psi or so) and setting tire pressures, in addition to /mounting/beading tires for my son's racing karts.

Of course always transport the bottle with the appropriate cap on the top of the tank.

FWIW, I have #3, an aluminum (very light) 7 gallonTrick Tank:
http://www.tricktank.com/
http://www.racepartsusa.com/shop/cus...4&cat=0&page=2
I used it for a year when my son first started, then switched to the N2 tank in the trailer when he got "more serious". It's been sitting in my basement for 3 years.
If it's something you think you can use, send me a PM
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Whatever sort of tank you use, here is some sage advice: pick a very dry day to fill it, if at all possible. Humidity in ambient air really expands when it gets hot (in a tire on track) and can really skew your hot pressures. Dry(er) air doesn't heat up so much. This is why pro teams use nitrogen.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Walmart steel tank. Cheap Chinese crap but who cares at $25? I fill it at home with a pancake compressor before I leave for the weekend.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Cheap Chinese crap but who cares
With respect, you SHOULD care.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

apparently F1 teams are going to CO2. That was part of the info that Mclaren stole from Ferrari.

The team admitted that the Ferrari data penetrated its engineering departments further than its own investigations established. The FIA's engineers identified an item incorporated into the design of the new MP4-23 that looked like Ferrari's variable brake balance system operated by a lever in the cockpit. McLaren also appeared set to copy Ferrari's use of carbon dioxide gas to inflate its tires. McLaren vowed not to use these items in 2008 and said that it has put systems in place to ensure that its engineers cannot act so irresponsibly in future.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
Walmart steel tank. Cheap Chinese crap but who cares at $25? I fill it at home with a pancake compressor before I leave for the weekend.
One note on steel tanks and compressed air: rust

I went with aluminum simply due to concerns of long term rust and corrosion in the tank.
Of course, lightweight is also nice.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another air tank alternative:
http://www.e-ampi.com/details.php?Ma...&ProductID=265

I have this one mounted on my son's pit kart; nice having 120 psi of nitrogen on the grid, for those last second pressure adjustments.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of the tanks mentioned above will work fine for fine-tuning pressures at the track. The hose on mine (from Northern Tool) came with an air chuck permanently attached. I swapped the hose for one with a quick-disconnect on the end so I could use it for other purposes as well (I blow the brake dust out of my rotors every day with the tank).

When the tank needs to be refilled, I have a small air compressor from Autozone that I hook to the tank. The compressor goes to 300 PSI, but the one supplied with your car should work just fine, too.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:04 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.powertank.com/
or if you have a tow vehicle, look up "OBA" or "onboard air" systems.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had a cheap steel tank some years ago, and it held air pressure for about one day less than whatever the time frame you needed...junk!

I fill the aluminum tank from our shop compressor, which has water seperators/filters, etc. in the lines.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember right DOT condems all portable tanks after 10 years from date of manu. Look at your tank I bet it has "Do not use after XXXX date" or something like it. Getting an expensive tank only reduces the $ for go fast stuff.

Get the small in line air dryers that are used by painters. They cost about $3 each and can be threaded inline on you air fill hose or device. They work very well at removing the moisture in the air going into the tank and into the tire. All the good of Nitrogen fills for your tires with no cost or trouble of Nitrogen.
If you get an air chuck that has the guage and little wip hose like you see at the gas stations you can install the dryer inline on it in about 30 seconds. Use it when you fill the tank and when you fill the tire from the tank. Hellbore Fright has them for about $6 but don't tell V.R. as they are imported. They dry the air to neg 40 deg dew point. This is very dry. Dry as the $$$ Nitrogen fills and dryer than any of the chiller based systems. Use this method from day one and you will never have any moisture inside your inexpensive imported steel tank. The materal in the dryer changes color when it is used up. Remove, replace and back to work. My $3 unit lasted almost an entire season and I used it on the house hold cars, track car, truck and trailer.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kurt M
If I remember right DOT condems all portable tanks after 10 years from date of manu. Look at your tank I bet it has "Do not use after XXXX date" or something like it. Getting an expensive tank only reduces the $ for go fast stuff.

I believe that DOT aging only applies to steel tanks. No dates on Aluminum tanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First: a quick question: do you need air solely for the purpose of filling up your tires?

If so, then either a small tank (like mentioned above) or a decent compressor willl do the trick.

I use this chordless, battery operated compressor. Good up to 150psi. And it takes up less room than even the smallest air tank.

It is part of the Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ line. Same battery works on this impact driver, which is what I use to undo the lug nuts on the my wheels:

And now Ryobi offers Lithuanian Ion batteries for all their 18V One+ tools. Got one for X-mas.
-Z-man.

Quick Reply: Portable air for the track?