Sponsored by:

PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......

what are the differences in terms of the quality of the partecipants?

Is anyone of the organizations more challenging, highly respected or epitomized than the others?

Just curious as I am considering applying for a race license and racing with NASA sometimes in '08 or '09...

As per usual, thanks for your responses.....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
what are the differences in terms of the quality of the partecipants?

Is anyone of the organizations more challenging, highly respected or epitomized than the others?

Just curious as I am considering applying for a race license and racing with NASA sometimes in '08 or '09...

As per usual, thanks for your responses.....
My impression is that there is way more contact in SCCA. I watched all the runoffs on Speed, and my lord those guys just couldn't figure out how to give each other racing room. And I'm not talking about pro level "rubbing" but just turning into a guy when he is clearly alongside or bashing into someone to move them out of the way. And it wasn't just the spec miatas, but every class from G prod to SSB to the formula cars.

From what I have heard, NASA is a pretty good group. One downside is that you'll have fewer cars in your GTS class than in the old PCA E/new F. But it would be fun to race against the non-Porsches. I will probably do 1-2 GTS races this year, assuming I can find the time!

PCA runs great races, and will always be my first choice. I think the driving level is quite good (I've looked at the mylaps times from NASA GTS races, and the fields do not seem that deep) and the respect for other people's cars is very high. Yes there are crashes, but car to car contact is pretty rare. There is also great camaraderie with all the people in your class.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This should be good.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but you would not catch me dead at an SCCA race down here in the southeast. Not my kind of "aggressive" crowd and way too much contact. Alot of the same people in scca race in NASA as well. No thanks!

I stick with PCA and PBOC only. Just my $.02
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to take into account is the 13/13 rule in PCA Club Racing. Some people don't like it I know, but it's there to try and keep contact and stupid moves under control.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

just an FYI, NASA uses a modified 13/13 also.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, I'd love to throw in my $.02 in this one, as I've raced with each, but I'm not sure it's wise to put some of it in writing! Gonna plead the fifth here, for now.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
84-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by gums
Boy, I'd love to throw in my $.02 in this one, as I've raced with each, but I'm not sure it's wise to put some of it in writing! Gonna plead the fifth here, for now.
Come on gums....throw it out there.....we got your back.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Paolo, I've given you some of my impressions before but here they are again. I've raced with NASA and PCA only:

SCCA - Definitely more contact than NASA or PCA. Not that it doesn't happen in NASA or PCA, but with SCCA it is part of the racing. Your car would not class well and the only way you could be successful would be to spend some coin on your engine. But, that would take you out of stock class in PCA. Running NASA and PCA is pretty easy to do. Running SCCA and PCA, not so easy given the PCA restrictions. To run both, you'd probably have to go the GT route and end up spending a small fortune. As far as the racing goes, depending on the class, probably higher caliber of racing than PCA or NASA.

NASA - In the NE, NASA is still growing. Fields are on the small side and racing is not as strong as PCA outside of 944 which is stronger than GTS Challenge. However, the racing is very clean and the guys are very laid back (including the organizers). I expect the fields will group significantly in the next couple of years. Plus, it's a real blast running against BMW, Mini, Audi, etc. I really like racing with NASA and it's fun to have regional points races and a national championship and more local races.

PCA - Great fields, good racing. You need to do PCA. Depending on the class, you can find really good racing or maybe just a couple of good racers. Just depends on the event and the class you're running. More politics than NASA, less than SCCA. I've seen more contact at PCA than NASA.

Next year I plan on running 3-4 NASA races and 3-4 PCA races.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait a minute, the thread started without a page prediction?
Isn't that a tradition?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

PBOC, PCA and Nasa , forget about the rest ......
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

996 Cup fits GTc3 PCA, GT2 SCCA, Fits well in NASA (add weight to optimize), HSR eligible, POC and of course Yokohama Cup.... just need the right car and run em all...
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very generally speaking, in SCCA your car is a tool with which to win. PCA car = prized posession. Neither is right or wrong which is why we have both. I've raced with all 3 and it comes down to competition in my book. Make no mistake, you cannot WIN anywhere if you're crunching fenders.

I can't wait for Sebring with PCA in early Feb, and hope to jump in for an enduro seat. But I'm more excited to go and see the cars and people. However, running with SCCA 3 weeks later at Road Atlanta I'm going with the intention of winning and anything less will be disappointing.

If you want to understand "highly challenging and respected" there is nothing in PCA that will give you the street credit of winning the runoffs.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here's my take (that didn't really take much arm twisting, now did it?).
SCCA: The raciest of the bunch, guys go for it like there's a lot at stake. Personally, I like it.
NASA: The most grassroots of the bunch, you have to tolerate some pretty dilapidated cars in the paddock, but they make up for it by planting babes all over the place.
PCA: practically communistic, with their by the book interpretations, and they just don't come off as pro-racer, very inflexible, some regions even ****.
HSR: In my mind, presently the best of them all. Nice people, fantastic events, really try to make it positive for the racers. Downside is high entry fee, but that pales during the weekend.

Quick Reply: PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......